Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Why do I never succeed at assigning static IP addresses?

Why do I never succeed at assigning static IP addresses?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2010, 05:08 AM

I've had this problem for years now, across multiple routers: I can't manage to set a static IP address for a LAN client that actually works. For various reasons I've tried in the past, but it seems to never work. Anyone know why?

Usually what I do when I'm trying static IPs out is, I use two computers. One I target for static IP, and the other I use to configure the router for it. I usually look in the LAN list, find the computer I'm targeting for a static address, then assign that computer a static address. I then go to the computer in question and supply it with the static IP I just attempted to configure for it. I make sure that the static IP is in the same subnet as the DHCP clients. But it never, ever seems to work.

What am I doing wrong?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 8, 2010, 07:09 AM

It sounds like you're doing extra work you may not need to do. I have my iMac set up with a static IP-I just selected "Configure Pv4 Manually," and typed in an appropriate IP for my LAN. Of course you MUST make sure your manual address is outside of your router's DHCP pool, or you'll wind up with conflicts. My Linksys router lets me select the size and starting address of its DHCP pool, so I keep that number small and keep track of what machines (my wired ones) have static addresses so their IPs are outside that pool.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Jun 8, 2010, 08:30 PM

If your router supports it, do dhcp but MAC address IP reservation. This gives you all the utility of static addressing but dhcp for other dynamically-assigned devices.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
If your router supports it, do dhcp but MAC address IP reservation. This gives you all the utility of static addressing but dhcp for other dynamically-assigned devices.
This is the strategy I've always used, with older D-Link and Linksys routers, as well as the Time Capsule I picked up a couple months ago. It's always worked like a charm without any hassle at all. Just type in the MAC address of the device in question and the IP address you want to give it and done.

Forum Links
Forum Rules