Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > BEHOLD, my windows have a BORDER!!

BEHOLD, my windows have a BORDER!!
Dace
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 05:07 PM

I had a theory as to how to implement borders, so I put something together very quickly. And it works...it's a little rough, but I'll take it. And I'm sure it can be improved.

See for yourselves:

And no it's not a mockup

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 05:14 PM

Coooool!!! Can they be any larger?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 05:15 PM

Is that a brushed or aqua window? (methinks brushed)

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 05:17 PM

It's brushed, only way I know of implenting borders at the moment. And, yes they can be larger.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 05:19 PM

Yeah, if it's brushed, I'm pretty sure I know how it was implemented; I suggested it a while ago, but my idea was ignored maybe I didn't go into enough detail to get people to know what I was talking about.

Edit: Come to think of it, Apple's brushed windows have had borders since their incarnation; they're just too subtle to be noticed.

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 05:25 PM

And when Unsanity comes out with the new Metallifizer, all apps will use brushed appearance

darkcore
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
And when Unsanity comes out with the new Metallifizer, all apps will use brushed appearance
Excellent, I was wondering when someone would exploit the way brushed metal apps worked so that we could bring back borders.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 06:58 PM

ugh.. I just switched from XP to OSX. I can�t really say I missed those borders..

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 07:04 PM

Yeah, here's my thread about a similar topic. No screenshot, no belief I guess... Thanks for bringing this idea to life, Dace.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=193115

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 08:18 PM

This reminds me... there was actually a theme out there a while ago that used a layo hack and added true borders to even Aqua apps and the were draggable. It only applied to Carbon apps though. I'm sure that ShapeShifter will support it some time.

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2004, 10:16 PM

What about Safari. They will be cut off. Won't look right.

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 10:23 PM

I tried that with my strawberry imac theme at first but the window header text in many windows does not come out on top, so you end up with a lot of windows having no header text visible.

solidfox
Jan 20, 2004, 11:12 PM

The way I remember metalifizer it doesn't give apps that kind of brushed appearence, things looked more like safari - no borders...and only cocoaapps...

dunno 'bout the new release but I'd place my hope in shapeshifter for something like this.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 12:06 AM

This sure could become something cool.
click one

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2004, 06:44 AM

It's brushed, only way I know of implenting borders at the moment. And, yes they can be larger.
Those aren't borders then, they're standard Metal Window Bevels... looks like the bevels are just colored differently than the fill - this is something that's always been possible, just nobody's bothered because they're all so concerned with making Aqua and Metal windows match - so I guess it's hat's off to Dace for finding a theme that actually lends itself to differently colored bevels and fills in metal windows The previous poster was correct though - how does it look in iChat? Many apps draw the Metal Window Bevels on top of everything else but widgets, including the titlebar text.
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Jan 21, 2004 at 06:52 AM. )

JoE950
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 11:45 AM

themeing is an unpredictable nightmare!!! damn you aqua~!
( Last edited by JoE950; Jan 21, 2004 at 12:06 PM. )

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 11:53 AM

pee pants

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 11:56 AM

looks like xp..
iron sharpens iron

grand mufti
Jan 21, 2004, 11:48 PM

man us in windows world do everything to get rid of those darn borders..and you guys want them... lol useless info ( you can get rid of borders under win XP but you cant resize the windows with your cursor ) as i sit here saving for my ibook i dream of no borders.. not why im buyin one but its a +.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by grand mufti:
man us in windows world do everything to get rid of those darn borders..and you guys want them... lol useless info ( you can get rid of borders under win XP but you cant resize the windows with your cursor ) as i sit here saving for my ibook i dream of no borders.. not why im buyin one but its a +.
Maybe the default XP theme looks like crap with borders, but there are a lot of potential mac themes that would look very nice with borders. I've seen many theme artists complain about the lack of borders in mac os customization, and I personally can't wait until SS supports them (If it ever does).

Forum Links
Forum Rules