Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Neos 1.1 update

Neos 1.1 update
Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 01:05 AM

Anyone speak Japanese? Daisuke has just released the 1.1 revision of Neos, presumably to use the new features of SS 1.1, i.e.: The Safari etched text thing and the menubar icon colour thing. But having installed it, these have not been done. The Safari etched text is the same, the battery and clock icons ARE different, but white, and not powder blue. He has now made the menus translucent, though, which is cool.

I would like to know if this is a quick fix update, and if there will be another proper update soon. Unfortunately his site is in Japanese, whish I don't speak, and I'm too impatient to wait for an official post on the matter.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 01:21 AM

Can you point us to the site ? I just looked on his and did not se that .
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 01:26 AM

Found it - update
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

mac15
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 01:40 AM

support xthemes.net , we need cool themes like this to be posted

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 02:21 AM

Well, the Safari text is no longer distorted, but it's still black on dark gray at the bottom, so it's still unreadable unless you get close to your screen and squint.

*switches back to Eylo*

Edit: I just realized that sounded kinda negative... I love this theme (It's actually the first dark theme I've ever really liked), but a few minor problems just keep me from using it.

Ozzpot  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 04:24 AM

iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up on that Ozzpot . What a keen eye you have . What a great update as well .

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 11:07 AM

The menu bar works for me, but Safari still shows the cruddy black text with shadow. On the flip side, Eylo shows new blue text on the Safari favorites bar the way it should.

HytestA
Jan 23, 2004, 11:32 AM

Font Book seems to cause a lot of problems where etched type is concerned, this theme did have a problem in Font book where a border appeared around the 2nd column, this seems fixed, iChat menu icon stays white, Classic menu logo also remains white, and clicking favourite folders in safari produces white type, surely these should be blue too.
...ill get my coat

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by HytestA:
Font Book seems to cause a lot of problems where etched type is concerned, this theme did have a problem in Font book where a border appeared around the 2nd column, this seems fixed, iChat menu icon stays white, Classic menu logo also remains white, and clicking favourite folders in safari produces white type, surely these should be blue too.
I don't use Font Book, and my iChat menu icon is blue, as well as the favorites folder in safari... it's just the etched text that remains messed up.

Seion
Jan 23, 2004, 01:46 PM

???????????? <- Hrm, apparently the message board does not support UTF-8....

So, here's my translation on what dsky posted regarding the 1.1 update:

"ShapeShifter was upgraded, and with the update, handling of custom text colors is now easier. It is delightful for me to be able to correct some of text colors in places where it became a matter of concern. Hence, I have updated NEOS to 1.1. Besides the fact that I updated it to correspond with the ShapeShifter update, I also corrected some menu issues. I also changed the theme name to all capital letters. I am still not quite satisfied with how everything looks (this sentence I had a bit of trouble with... Japanese ambiguity can be troublesome)

I also updated the SafariSkin simultaneously.

Please download from this."
Normal People Worry Me.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Seion:
???????????? <- Hrm, apparently the message board does not support UTF-8....

So, here's my translation on what dsky posted regarding the 1.1 update:

"ShapeShifter was upgraded, and with the update, handling of custom text colors is now easier. It is delightful for me to be able to correct some of text colors in places where it became a matter of concern. Hence, I have updated NEOS to 1.1. Besides the fact that I updated it to correspond with the ShapeShifter update, I also corrected some menu issues. I also changed the theme name to all capital letters. I am still not quite satisfied with how everything looks (this sentence I had a bit of trouble with... Japanese ambiguity can be troublesome)

I also updated the SafariSkin simultaneously.

Please download from this."

cool
thx !!

quandarry
Jan 23, 2004, 06:46 PM

any cool desktops for neos around?

Acrimonium
Jan 23, 2004, 07:36 PM

Hi, I'm new here (had infinite troubles to get an account able to post).

BTW, I follow these threads since long enough now to throw my to cents...

black & blue icons

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Acrimonium:
Hi, I'm new here (had infinite troubles to get an account able to post).

BTW, I follow these threads since long enough now to throw my to cents...

black & blue icons
Not a big fan of those icons, the texture on them isn't very good looking and not all the icons look as good as others.
click one

Acrimonium
Jan 23, 2004, 07:44 PM

Should this do the trick
Dark blue

Can't remember where I got It though,
Acrimonator at Spymac dot com
if You want It...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by Acrimonium:
Should this do the trick
Dark blue

Can't remember where I got It though,
Acrimonator at Spymac dot com
if You want It...
http://www.pixelgirlpresents.com/ has that desktop, it is very nice.
click one

llee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2004, 04:15 PM

I really love this theme with the exception that there is not enough contrast between text and background on segment tabs, particularly the vertical ones. Vertical toolbars in QuicKeys X 2 exploit this element and reading the text on the tabs is very difficult.

Thanks for the very nice theme, though.

quandarry
Jan 24, 2004, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by llee:
I really love this theme...
i luv it too...i like it better then omega.

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2004, 10:45 PM

omega isnt even out yet, let alone a screenshot...shut up.

quandarry
Jan 24, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by cloudaj:
omega isnt even out yet, let alone a screenshot...shut up.
really! well people have been praising it for so long i thought it was...shut up.

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2004, 11:29 PM

you said [Neos] was better than omega. That doesnt involve others praising it. that has to do with your two eyes seeing it. and your two eyes didnt see it because AFAIK phillyru was the only one willing to take a shot in the mouth to see it.

its great if you dont want to buy into the bbx hype and are pissed that others are, but let it go man...every topic i see you post in you are going against the grain. Thats fine if its on topic, but dont drag it into every damn thread...

Ozzpot  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2004, 11:49 PM

This is my favourite theme to date. I love dark themes, and this is the most useable one there is. It's clean, sophisticated and professional. The blue text gives it a cool, futuristic edge.The only problem is getting other GUI elements to match it, e.g. icons. This is why when Omega comes out, I will probably switch to that, if only because it will come with a full set of icons, skins, Widgets and desktop pictures.

NEOS is so beautiful that it deserves the same treatment in my opinion. I really wish there was an accompanying icon set. I have seen the sets that people have recommended to go with NEOS, but they're not quite right, or not very good quality.

We need app skins, too. The accomanying Safari skin is great. If only there were skins for Quicktime and VLC too.

Anybody up to the task?

quandarry
Jan 25, 2004, 12:49 AM

you said [Neos] was better than omega. That doesnt involve others praising it. that has to do with your two eyes seeing it. and your two eyes didnt see it because AFAIK phillyru was the only one willing to take a shot in the mouth to see it.

its great if you dont want to buy into the bbx hype and are pissed that others are, but let it go man...every topic i see you post in you are going against the grain. Thats fine if its on topic, but dont drag it into every damn thread...
i wuz being sarcastic.
( Last edited by quandarry; Jan 25, 2004 at 10:29 AM. )

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2004, 01:06 AM

then you might wanna throw a wink in there if you are kidding as voice is tone-deaf on the internet. When you are consistantly negative about something its also good to differentiate between a joke and being serious. And you still need to stop draging omega into every topic

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
This is my favourite theme to date. I love dark themes, and this is the most useable one there is. It's clean, sophisticated and professional. The blue text gives it a cool, futuristic edge.The only problem is getting other GUI elements to match it, e.g. icons. This is why when Omega comes out, I will probably switch to that, if only because it will come with a full set of icons, skins, Widgets and desktop pictures.

NEOS is so beautiful that it deserves the same treatment in my opinion. I really wish there was an accompanying icon set. I have seen the sets that people have recommended to go with NEOS, but they're not quite right, or not very good quality.

We need app skins, too. The accomanying Safari skin is great. If only there were skins for Quicktime and VLC too.

Anybody up to the task?
I agree. This theme is really good. And so much useable for a dark theme. And yes matching icons would be perfect.. I think that Bombia is designing a new set of dark icons that could do the trick..Don't know about a release date though..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

quandarry
Jan 25, 2004, 10:32 AM

then you might wanna throw a wink in there if you are kidding as voice is tone-deaf on the internet. When you are consistantly negative about something its also good to differentiate between a joke and being serious. And you still need to stop draging omega into every topic
i'll post whenever and about whatever i want.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2004, 02:20 PM

Could someone make a Mod of this theme that uses white instead of blue... the blue looks out of place.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
Could someone make a Mod of this theme that uses white instead of blue... the blue looks out of place.
I totally agree...i don't like it with all the blue, but i think i would perfectly use a white variation.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
Why not doing it yourself..It'll take 5 minutes with ThemePark (It's really easy, just follow the instruction provided with the software)

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
Why not doing it yourself..It'll take 5 minutes with ThemePark (It's really easy, just follow the instruction provided with the software)

That's the issue I am talking about in the other thread on costs, we can't mod. NEOS, from we can see.

Defeats the point of creating a personal theme for one's Mac.

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 03:49 PM

Just to put out my two words...
The blue is great... I love this theme.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
That's the issue I am talking about in the other thread on costs, we can't mod. NEOS, from we can see.

Defeats the point of creating a personal theme for one's Mac.
No need to reply. It's all there..

Forum Links
Forum Rules