Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > WIndows or Imac?

WIndows or Imac?
APPLEFAN08
Apr 27, 2007, 03:49 PM

Well my parents thought that I had to pay 2200 for car insurance a year BUT my dad called the company and I have to go on there plan becuase he doesn't want me on there plan becuase he's state police and...(long story) but don't have to pay the 2,200 only 800 for a year! So I as wondering sould I get an Imac 17' since I'm 16 or get a windows since I have like 6 years living with my parents left I'm guessing but they're getting me a macbook pro but only when I go to college which isn't for 3 more years. So I was wondering what should I get for my room Windows or MAC. We have a windows but I'm leaning toward a mac! What do you guys think?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2007, 03:54 PM

What do you hope to do on your computer?

BTW, it's "their plan", not "there plan". Also, "Mac", not "MAC".

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 27, 2007, 04:54 PM

edit videos, front row, itunes, have everything built in(wqhich windows doesn't do!) browse internet w/o freezing or not responding programs. The list goes on but I really am thinking about getting an Imac becuase there are no viruses, pop-ups, and there easier. Plus I use Imacs in school there G4's but there still really fast so I wonder how fast the 17' 1.83 will go but I'm leaning away from windows and toward an Imac.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 05:00 PM

If you are a reasonable person, you will enjoy the iMac for doing the basics. The downfall of the Mac is gaming. You could always run windows on the iMac if you found you didn't like OS X.

If you like the Mac, it's now a no brainer. Just buy the Mac.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 27, 2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by APPLEFAN08 View Post
Well my parents thought that I had to pay 2200 for car insurance a year BUT my dad called the company and I have to go on there plan becuase he doesn't want me on there plan becuase he's state police and...(long story) but don't have to pay the 2,200 only 800 for a year! So I as wondering sould I get an Imac 17' since I'm 16 or get a windows since I have like 6 years living with my parents left I'm guessing but they're getting me a macbook pro but only when I go to college which isn't for 3 more years. So I was wondering what should I get for my room Windows or MAC. We have a windows but I'm leaning toward a mac! What do you guys think?
I think you should get a ******* education so you don't screw up 'there' and their' and 'they're'. Jesus christ.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2007, 05:04 PM

Any Mac, even very old ones can run iTunes and Front Row, unless you are really into heavy-duty video editing, you don't need anything special, or even new. Whichever Mac you choose, max out the RAM. (And read a book once in a while...)

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 27, 2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I think you should get a ******* education so you don't screw up 'there' and their' and 'they're'. Jesus christ.
LOL I'm in honors English 2 but I just don't proof read or take my time on this so I just type what I have to say. I'm good in english just it doesn't show on the forums. lol

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2007, 05:49 PM

Your username is Applefan08, and you're asking whether you should buy a Mac or a 'windows'?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2007, 06:40 PM

LOL I'm in honors English 2 but I just don't proof read or take my time on this so I just type what I have to say. I'm good in english just it doesn't show on the forums. lol

Well, maybe we shouldn't take our time with our answers?

It sounds like this purchase will come down to your preferences, as both a Windows based PC and a Mac should do what you need.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 27, 2007, 07:14 PM

This isn't the first person to mess that (and other things) up in a post; give him a break.
With my above response in mind, it's a VERY GOOD IDEA to make sure you DO proof and correct when you post. It gets you in the habit of writing correctly-and by extension, speaking correctly- all the time. This is a VERY GOOD THING for you, because you don't look like a moron online, and your posts come across as more understandable and more reasoned.

Good writing and speaking is something that will serve you well, so practice it ALL the time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This isn't the first person to mess that (and other things) up in a post; give him a break.With my above response in mind, it's a VERY GOOD IDEA to make sure you DO proof and correct when you post. It gets you in the habit of writing correctly-and by extension, speaking correctly- all the time. This is a VERY GOOD THING for you, because you don't look like a moron online, and your posts come across as more understandable and more reasoned.

Good writing and speaking is something that will serve you well, so practice it ALL the time.

ghporter is right.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2007, 09:34 PM

c'mon guys...be nice...

anyways, buy a mac. if you don't like it, you can always put windows vista on it. for vista, the imac is a pretty good machine. but of course its an AWESOME computer for OSX.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

j03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2007, 10:03 PM

Mac, ftw. End of discussion

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 27, 2007, 10:22 PM

ok Mac it is probably 17" by June or July. Already have like 800 for a mac 300 to go with tax included. probably just go get it at the apple store or do you guys think I should buy it from the apple store online? Thanks

Voodoogmr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2007, 11:03 PM

I'd buy it in the store if you get one of the standard configurations. But if you add any of the build-to-order options, just order it online. Our local Apple store told us that they only sold standard configurations. Shipping is free anyway, and it saves us a trip to the store.
iMac 24", 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 750GB hdd
Powerbook G4, 12", 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB hdd
iPod 5G - 30GB

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 28, 2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Voodoogmr View Post
I'd buy it in the store if you get one of the standard configurations. But if you add any of the build-to-order options, just order it online. Our local Apple store told us that they only sold standard configurations. Shipping is free anyway, and it saves us a trip to the store.
Ok, I thought it was standard in store but not sure yet if I want to configure it. But we'll have to see what I come up with money wise by the end of June. But thanks for your help.

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 28, 2007, 08:55 AM

woohoo. My mom said I could get one since I already have my car insurance money and now she said I can save up my money and get any Imac. Probably leaning toward 17 or 20 inch. What do you guys think? But I'm getting one. One more windows user converted to a mac!! Woohoo can't wait and its going in my room. Does it have built in wi-fi so if I have a wireless router it can do it wireless since I already have a wireless router for my ps3. just wondering thanks

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2007, 09:42 AM

I can believe that. Kind of. It's not particularly hard to get into AP English in any high school - it doesn't compare to, say, AP Biology, Chemistry, or Physics. I knew a kid majoring in English in college, and she could spell or write for sh*t. I doubt she's going to make it far in the world of real English snobs, though.

If you read books at all, you'll pick up on things like how to spell "because" and how to write complete sentences - half your original post was one run-on sentence. At least cut and paste your post into TextEdit and run a quick spellcheck on it.

For your actual Apple question - don't buy from the Apple store, online or IRL. Their return policy is horrendous if end up changing your mind. Buy from Fry's or Best Buy or somehwere else. You also can then buy Fry's/etc extended warranty, which tends to be better than the scam that I call AppleCare.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I can believe that. Kind of. It's not particularly hard to get into AP English in any high school - it doesn't compare to, say, AP Biology, Chemistry, or Physics. I knew a kid majoring in English in college, and she could spell or write for sh*t. I doubt she's going to make it far in the world of real English snobs, though.

If you read books at all, you'll pick up on things like how to spell "because" and how to write complete sentences - half your original post was one run-on sentence. At least cut and paste your post into TextEdit and run a quick spellcheck on it.

For your actual Apple question - don't buy from the Apple store, online or IRL. Their return policy is horrendous if end up changing your mind. Buy from Fry's or Best Buy or somehwere else. You also can then buy Fry's/etc extended warranty, which tends to be better than the scam that I call AppleCare.
You have to be joking about the warranty! Applecare not only protects the machine, but you get 3 years of telephone and online support. If you have any problems, you have an Apple tech to help you. I have had a few problems with my imacs, and Apple has been excellent. They replaced my 1st Gen imac G5 under warranty with a new intel imac. No hassles. As well, you may want to ask Fry's and Best Buy if they give you the educational discount...I know for sure that Apple does.

As for your comments about English majors, this kid is only 16, with lots of learning to do. I have known plenty of people with useless degrees, both in the Arts and Sciences...It is what you do with your knowledge that matters.
My Blog-pakos.me

oceans777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2007, 07:12 PM

Rude answers - I think this original poster is way more mature than the first few rude jerks who replied.

I switched to a Mac Pro and a Mac Book Pro this year and love them both. Unfortunately Apple is not making much of an effort to provide video card options for the otherwise powerhouse Mac Pro so I am back to using a Windows PC for serious gaming and flight sims.
Very annoying after spending the money for a quad-core Mac Pro to be stuck with only one practical choice for video cards and no word on future options but otherwise I haven't found any reason to use a PC sinc e switching.
( Last edited by oceans777; Apr 28, 2007 at 07:46 PM. )

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 28, 2007, 07:17 PM

All I asked was a simple question Windows or Mac? And now all this I'm in honors English and I can't get into AP til next year and my school isn't the smartest! Well I'm getting a Mac. I made my decision and Mac all the way.

IJMcG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2007, 09:31 PM

Did you have any doubt when you came to the MacNN forums, which type of computer we were going to recommend?

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 28, 2007, 11:01 PM

I know but I was just asking for opinions! I'm gonna get the 1,200 dollar Imac customized at the apple store online and shipped to me. I'll have it in June. Can't wait. I'll have an Imac in my room, a ps3 and a 32" LCD Samsung. plus possibly 5.1 surround not 7.1 were that for our plasma downstairs but I can't wait its gonna be a good summer!

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 11:22 PM

I know but I was just asking for opinions! I'm gonna get the 1,200 dollar Imac customized at the apple store online and shipped to me. I'll have it in June. Can't wait. I'll have an Imac in my room, a ps3 and a 32" LCD Samsung. plus possibly 5.1 surround not 7.1 were that for our plasma downstairs but I can't wait its gonna be a good summer!
Good for you, I'm excited for you. I know the good feeling you get when you are in the market for a new computer and it's gonna be a Mac. Please continue to ask as many questions on this forum as you like before and after you get your new Mac. Don't worry about the negative comments here in regards to your grammer, some people don't know how to use constructive criticism.

What you want to understand is that it is in fact difficult for people to read your post if spelling and grammer are out of place. Think of your teacher in school reading your term paper this way. It requires people to re-read what you wrote and try to make sense out of it to understand what you are trying to say and this can be struggle when we are trying to solve your issue or concern at the same time.

That said to alleviate anymore grammer complaints here's some proper "Mac" etiquette.
Since there's a MAC truck, MAC makeup and the MAC address in terms of networking, Apple has spelled it's products a certain way.

Proper:
Macintosh, Mac, iMac, iPod, MacBook, Mac mini, Mac Pro, iTunes.

Improper:
MAC, imac, Imac, IPOD, ITUNES, macBook, MACbook pro.

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 29, 2007, 12:32 AM

K thanks for the informative post. What Macs do you guys have on this forum? Just wondering can't wait to get my iMac!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 29, 2007, 12:36 AM

24" iMac, 7600GT, and generally decent spelling/writing abilities.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2007, 01:00 AM

G5 desktop. Dual processor 2.3 Ghz. 2.5 GB ram. ATI Radeon X800 GPU 256MB. Bluetooth and Wireless. 23" Cinema Display.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2007, 01:01 AM

24" iMac, 7600GT, and generally decent spelling/writing abilities.
Dude let it go!!! Don't be a jerk! Are you perfect?

vasic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 01:37 AM

First a suggestion on the iMac purchase, to the original poster. For abour $200 less, you get a refurbished iMac. I have bought several over the years, and know many people who did the same. Unlike in Windows world, where refurbished is usually an old, discontinued model, with Apple, you get the latest model, practically always totally new (even smells new), with full Apple warranty and, if you want, AppleCare option. When you buy new, there is a chance it is a lemon (something doesn't work as it should). Refurb will ALWAYS work, since it has been tested before going out. The only one thing that is different from buying a really new Mac is the brown, as opposed to white, box.

As for the 'spelling nazis' above, I will have to generally agree with them (more with substance than with the tone of their statements). I would qualify this with the following: when you ask a question on a forum, you do it hoping to get best quality of answers. While many people try to ignore spelling and grammar (not grammer) mistakes, subconsciously, they do rate the intelligence of the poster based on their perceived eloquence (i.e. good/bad English) and decide whether to respond or not. Use these forums for practicing your real life. In real life, proper written English can mean the difference between getting a great job or not. I only learned my English as an adult (born and raised in Eastern Europe), and am acutely aware of the treatment you get when your communication is not proper. Polish it whenever you write (e-mails, even IM) and it won't be that much effort, and you'll command dramatically more respect.

KiD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 06:04 AM

You guys need to chill out on the grammar ****! Come on guys for crying out loud, let the kid write whatever he wants. As long as we understand him.
MacBook, 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1Gb Ram..

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by KiD View Post
You guys need to chill out on the grammar ****! Come on guys for crying out loud, let the kid write whatever he wants. As long as we understand him.
Excellent point. But how far down the "bad grammar" path can we go before nobody can understand anyone? You must draw a line somewhere, and we've all pointed out that that line should be pretty high. Frankly, I have trouble with some pretty educated people and the way they speak and write-they also figure that it's no big deal if they write or speak horribly because it's not a formal paper. But they manage to waste their time and mine in saying or writing something, then having to listen to my perplexed questions about what they said, think about what they meant, and then restate it. Cut to the chase and say/write so that people WILL understand you and you save time and aggravation all around.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bearcatrp
Senior User
Apr 29, 2007, 09:23 AM

Try to save for the 20 inch with at least a 2ghz processor. 2gb ram will surfice. I use 2gb in my 24 inch iMac running iMovie and works great. You will save on a refurb too. Same warrenty as if you bought brand new. Get the highest graphics card too.
Randy

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2007, 09:34 AM

Check out Amazon.com too - with the rebate and the tax savings and free shipping, it's typically one of the cheapest options around for buying Macs.

Also check MacConnection - they have rebates as well.
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by vasic View Post
First a suggestion on the iMac purchase, to the original poster. For abour $200 less, you get a refurbished iMac. I have bought several over the years, and know many people who did the same. Unlike in Windows world, where refurbished is usually an old, discontinued model, with Apple, you get the latest model, practically always totally new (even smells new), with full Apple warranty and, if you want, AppleCare option. When you buy new, there is a chance it is a lemon (something doesn't work as it should). Refurb will ALWAYS work, since it has been tested before going out. The only one thing that is different from buying a really new Mac is the brown, as opposed to white, box.
Apple refurbs are no different than PC OEM refurbs. Dell's Outlet has plenty of current models in addition to older models, and Apple's refurb page has plenty of older models in addition to the current models. Dell offers all of the extended warranty options (including accidental damage protection, which Apple doesn't offer) and even provides more information about the condition of the product (open box, scratch&dent, etc).

I agree with going the refurb route if you're looking at a stock configuration, but let's not pretend that Apple's refurbs are something special.

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 29, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Try to save for the 20 inch with at least a 2ghz processor. 2gb ram will surfice. I use 2gb in my 24 inch iMac running iMovie and works great. You will save on a refurb too. Same warrenty as if you bought brand new. Get the highest graphics card too.
Randy
Yeah, I was thinking about getting that size but I think I might get the 17' 2.0 GHZ with the super drive, more ram, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a better graphics card. What do you guys think about MacMall you think there prices are good. I'm looking there but don't see customization so I'll probably go to apple.com and customize my Mac. Can't wait to get my Mac. WHere did you guys get yours, Online or In-store?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2007, 11:54 AM

Applefan: "their prices", not "there prices".

You might want to check on dealmac.com - Find the lowest prices on iPod, iBook, PowerBook, Mac, eMac, PowerMac G5, iMac, News on Apple Mac prices. for the cheapest prices. Amazon also often has good deals. In my experience, these deals usually don't amount to more than $100 or so off for a new machine, but this is certainly better than nothing!

If you change your mind and decide you want a laptop, definitely budget for Applecare.

ggirton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 12:02 PM

of cours eapple's refurbs are something special -- because i got them and i didn't get dell, dude! first the cube, then the powerbook, then the macbook pro, a 17 inch baby. as far as i ctan tell, the main difference between refurb and new is in the packaging -- except fo course fdo the cube, which did not work the dfirst time around but was fixed and returned within a week no questions asked apple supplied packaging and paid shipping

now as for a-fan-08's system. you're getting an extra screen in addition to the imac? i say get the 24 and be done with it you do see them turn up on refurb from time to time. if yu're going awy to school in 3 years anwd getting a new machine then, you have an excellent opportunity for a trailing edxge bargain on the refurb site you might pick uup a core duo (not core 2) imac for a huge price differential and then spend the difference on gasoline ha ha ha car insurance isn't the ony expense!

by the way just a note about the spylling/typography, whatever you want to call it. there's a school of thought that even sports a manifesto, about trying to type and not going bactk to corrrect minor erros that the reader can EASILY compensate for, to communicate the thouhgt and meaning. i was relieved to see that aplfan08 had the LOL response to attempts ot slap him down "you had better learn to spel otheriwis puople will think you're an idiot" fro my own part i'm an honors grad of an ivy league university, so you befor you think about giving me the big lecture can take your spelling dictatata an stictk it where the sun don't shine. the slipperyslope has start to slid.

(pls supply spellling ond gramma correction to match your own doggeno brain)
a penny here a penny there, pretty soon you're talking two cents

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2007, 12:21 PM

ggirton: the problem is that everybody blows of spelling in here and places like this by justifications such as "it doesn't matter, I can spell properly when I have to". I have a hard time believing this. Like anything, practice and repetition makes desired behavior become normal behavior. Good writers don't have to carefully plot their sentences and look over every word, their writing has just become their default style of writing that comes naturally to them (although of course, we all make mistakes occasionally, that is not a big deal).

The reason I have a hard time believing this is because those who really can spell and write properly will do so in here most of the time - it would take more effort to write in an unnatural way, right? Those that can't ought to be using every opportunity as practice to get it right and not simply blow it off. It is in their own best interests to do so, for a number of reasons already discussed here.

At the very least, it would be nice if people got "your/you're", "there/their/they're", etc. right. This is literally stuff I learned in the fourth grade.

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 29, 2007, 12:40 PM

I'm going to get the 17 inch 2.0 Ghz customized. Its 1,200 online then when I customize it it should be like 1300 with my wireless keyboard and mouse and better Graphics card. I can't wait to get one and stop using Windows!

deVilliers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 03:23 PM

AppleFan08 appears, to me at least, to be false.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2007, 05:03 PM

The current iMacs really are beatiful computers. If I had the cash, I would get a 24".
As for the educational debate, in my experience, people who are good at English are usually awful spellers. I find scientists and mathematicians tend to better at spelling, we just tend to suck more at analysing texts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
The current iMacs really are beatiful computers. If I had the cash, I would get a 24".
As for the educational debate, in my experience, people who are good at English are usually awful spellers. I find scientists and mathematicians tend to better at spelling, we just tend to suck more at analysing texts.

That is an interesting opinion... What is it based on?

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 29, 2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by deVilliers View Post
AppleFan08 appears, to me at least, to be false.
What appears to you, to be false? Me getting an iMac or me in English 2 honors?

bratstarman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 09:26 PM

Just as you have have apparently received an education and incorrectly written "Jesus christ."

It is spelled "Jesus Christ", and there is no punctuation because it is not a sentence.

So before you criticize please realize we are all less than perfect.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2007, 10:18 PM

Oh my dear God! This is a Mac forum, not an English class. You are being so rude with this guy. English is not everyone's first language. Shame on all of you who have critized the guy...

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

APPLEFAN08  (op)
Apr 29, 2007, 10:25 PM

I know I asked a simple question Windows or Mac? Then everyone starts making suggestions on how I post. This isn't school I don't proof read. I just type what I say. I'm getting a 17" Next month from Apple.com and customizing it. Can't wait!

ramcosca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 10:36 PM

Good God, people! We all know he's bad in English but PLEASE! Give him a chance! We all have spell checkers. We're all bothered by our own computers if we don't correct our spelling errors! If this guy is asking if he should go with a Mac it's because he's not on one. Give the poor guy a chance. If you see a [known] Mac user getting lots of spelling errors, then go and make fun of him/her.

Anyways, back to the subject. If you're thinking about an Apple computer, I suggest you go to your local or nearest Apple Store and ask the guys and gals on the Genius Bar whatever comes to mind about your uses of the computer, what it has, what it doesn't, and what you expect from your next computer; see what they have to say about that. Do take in mind that any modern Mac (those that come with Intel processors, which includes every single one in the current line) can run Windows at full speed by using Apple Inc.'s Boot Camp (creating a partition on your hard drive and, when booting the computer, giving you the option to boot the operating system you want to use at the moment) or through virtualization by using Parallels, Inc.'s Parallels Desktop or EMC Corporation's subsidiary VMware Inc.'s VMware Fusion (running the "guest" operating system "inside" Mac OS X; running both at the same time). Virtualizing an operating system has it's downfall: Windows' performance is affected, due to it using the same RAM as Mac OS X is utilizing.

Also, no matter which route you decide to take, maximizing your RAM is one of the best things you can do. Apple's products LOVE

ramcosca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 11:08 PM

Good God, people! We all know he's bad in English but PLEASE! Give him a chance! We all have spell checkers. We're all bothered by our own computers if we don't correct our spelling errors! If this guy is asking if he should go with a Mac it's because he's not on one. Give the poor guy a chance. If you see a [known] Mac user getting lots of spelling errors, then go and make fun of him/her.

Anyways, back to the subject. If you're thinking about an Apple computer, I suggest you go to your local or nearest Apple Store and ask the guys and gals on the Genius Bar whatever comes to mind about your uses of the computer, what it has, what it doesn't, and what you expect from your next computer; see what they have to say about that. Do take in mind that any modern Mac (those that come with Intel processors, which includes every single one in the current line) can run Windows at full speed by using Apple Inc.'s Boot Camp (creating a partition on your hard drive and, when booting the computer, giving you the option to boot the operating system you want to use at the moment) or through virtualization by using Parallels, Inc.'s Parallels Desktop or EMC Corporation's subsidiary VMware Inc.'s VMware Fusion (running the "guest" operating system "inside" Mac OS X; running both at the same time). Virtualizing an operating system has it's downfall: Windows' performance is affected, due to it using the same RAM as Mac OS X is utilizing.

Also, no matter which route you decide to take, maximizing your RAM is one of the best things you can do. Apple's products LOVE RAM. The more, the merrier you'll end up being.

vasic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 11:49 PM

For every one of us that made a comment about grammar, spelling and/or proper English, there are probably ten readers of these posts that think the same, jus don't bother. If I can make an effort, as a foreigner who hadn't started learning English until adulthood, a 17-year old native speaker should make an effort, for his own future's sake.

The better you express yourself in your question, the better answers you'll get. It's that simple. Rambling on, following your train of thought, not bothering to correct, usually makes many people give up (there was one post above that implied that there is even a whole movement advocating exactly that... he lost me mid-way, with so many misspelt words...).

As for your purchase, I'd still recommend getting 20-inch refurb for the same amount of money. A new 17-inch machine will still be a mean Mac, though.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by bratstarman View Post
Just as you have have apparently received an education and incorrectly written "Jesus christ."

It is spelled "Jesus Christ", and there is no punctuation because it is not a sentence.

So before you criticize please realize we are all less than perfect.
As usual Rob's criticism is extremely pointed and lacking tact, but like has been said before, one does not need to be without flaw to offer constructive criticism. Of course, like I said, the tone of Rob's post wasn't really constructive, but...

Forum Links
Forum Rules