Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 9)
OreoCookie
Dec 10, 2021, 10:18 PM

Controversial hot take: Samurai Champloo is superior to Cowboy Bebop, in terms of story, characters and music.

Also, the last season of The Expanse has started to come out. The first episode was pretty good, albeit a bit depressing. But good. I heard that they won’t try to wrap up the entire story, thereby avoiding what happened to Game of Thrones. We shall see. But we are out for a good start, I say.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2021, 11:33 PM

I never watched Samurai Champloo. I assume it’s very different.

OreoCookie
Dec 12, 2021, 08:10 PM

It’s by the same people who did Cowboy Bebop, so it has all the good stuff that Cowboy Bebop has: great music, great fight scenes, cool characters. Rather than a Bebop theme, it’s based on hip hop. And rather than being set in the future, it is in the recent past (late Edo period in Japan). If you are a fan of Cowboy Bebop, you should definitely check it out. Personally, I find it better in every way. And I really like Cowboy Bebop!

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2021, 07:41 PM

I’m sure I’d like it!

The way my tastes run, I’m wondering if that would still leave Bebop on top. I like hip-hop, and Japanese period stuff, but like sci-fi and jazz more.

OreoCookie
Dec 13, 2021, 08:10 PM

I’m not a hip hop person by any stretch. But somehow Samurai Champloo jives better. In any case, even if you end up ranking it below Cowboy Bebop, you’ll have a great time.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2021, 12:32 PM

Oh, I’m sure I’d love it, and I’ve never heard anyone say something bad about it.

I guess what took me aback by the original comment is a big reason Bebop resonated was it captured a certain late 90s ennui about the future. That’s not impossible to capture in a period piece, but it’s a lot tougher because we know what the future is in a period piece.

Of course, that really doesn’t have anything to do with the quality of the writing in and of itself, or how well integrated the music is, so it’s not really countering your point.

OreoCookie
Dec 14, 2021, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Oh, I’m sure I’d love it, and I’ve never heard anyone say something bad about it.

I guess what took me aback by the original comment is a big reason Bebop resonated was it captured a certain late 90s ennui about the future. That’s not impossible to capture in a period piece, but it’s a lot tougher because we know what the future is in a period piece.
I never got to see either in period, but in the mid- to late-2000s. Cowboy Bebop certainly has 1990s anime lines in its drawings, very distinct and period correct. Samurai Champloo is already an evolution, more flow rather than sharp, angled lines. Both are beautiful.

But IMHO both can't touch the two seasons of Ghost in the Shell anime series from 2004–2006. The movie is excellent, but the series is two notches above that. The writing still holds up perfectly. For example, the first season is about how social media can cause mass movements without a figure head, organization or central planner. Does that somehow ring a bell? And the story line of the second season is in part about Japan's alignment with the US, there is a schism in the government between old-school hardliners who want to stay closely aligned and the then prime minister who wants to forge a more independent path. Sound familiar? The other big story line is about Japan's refugee policy. This was written 15 effin' years ago, before e. g. Twitter existed! Pure brilliance in writing with substance. And the music is top notch (Yoko Kanno does not disappoint), the sound tracks (yes, plural) is still in active rotation.

OreoCookie
Jan 15, 2022, 06:51 AM

I was really positively surprised how the creators of The Expanse managed to wrap up the series. Yes, I hate them that there will be no new episodes. And I would have liked more episodes in Season 6. Just more. But they went out with a bang. The character-centric bits were great, many exchanges epic. The space battles were OMG. And the resolution at the end was satisfying. Maybe a bit too much happiness and joy at the end, but I take it. The characters have gone through enough.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2022, 07:54 AM

Wait, this week is the last episode??

I would never have expected that. I’ve been hate-watching this mediocre pos for some unknown reason, but if I have to look at holden’s resting brooding face or Marco’s eyeliner ever again it’ll still be too soon.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OreoCookie
Jan 15, 2022, 10:51 PM

I’m genuinely surprised, ShortcutToMoncton. The Expanse is typically considered one of the best scifi series out there. For me it easily beats out any incarnation of Star Trek (and I am a big fan). The only other series that can keep up with it is Bablyon 5 IMHO (and this is being relaunched — I’m super excited). It has consistent and relatively realistic physics, great space battles, which actually make sense (not like in Star Trek where Kirk outsmarts his opponent by noticing that space is three-dimensional ).

But horses for courses.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2022, 06:28 AM

Anyone seen Ricky Gervais' Afterlife on Netflix?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Jan 16, 2022, 10:55 PM

I’ve seen the listing, but gave it a pass. I’m not really a Gervais fan.

OreoCookie
Jan 16, 2022, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I’ve seen the listing, but gave it a pass. I’m not really a Gervais fan.
Same here. It's too much aggression and derision for my taste, and too little introspection.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2022, 06:56 AM

You might find that hat one a little different. Theres a lot of introspection I'd say.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Jan 17, 2022, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You might find that hat one a little different. Theres a lot of introspection I'd say.
I might give it a try then. Thanks!

andi*pandi
Jan 18, 2022, 01:31 PM

I think I watched that a while back. As a person who similarly finds gervais grating, Afterlife was not typical.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2022, 01:48 AM

Started Yellowstone.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2022, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I think I watched that a while back. As a person who similarly finds gervais grating, Afterlife was not typical.
Did not like Season 3 nearly as much. Tonally a lot cruder and ruder. Also pretty problematic treatment of female characters in relationships, not least the absent Roxy.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Jan 20, 2022, 06:21 AM

Have been hate-watching the Boba Fett series on D+. It’s...not good.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 20, 2022, 10:32 AM

Well I for one have always wanted a story to humanize the Tuscan Raiders. Fortunately, he found one of the "good" tribes that doesn't murder people, except when they capture, enslave, and murder people.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2022, 12:22 PM

Tusken.

Napoleon was the Tuscan raider.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 20, 2022, 12:30 PM

Now I'm hungry.

Thorzdad
Jan 20, 2022, 12:51 PM

Recipe?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2022, 12:57 PM

Ingredients:

3 womp rats…

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2022, 02:57 PM

https://juliasalbum.com/creamy-tuscan-chicken/

I just GIS for Tuscan Chicken, no recommendation on the above.

andi*pandi
Jan 26, 2022, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Did not like Season 3 nearly as much. Tonally a lot cruder and ruder. Also pretty problematic treatment of female characters in relationships, not least the absent Roxy.
I don't think I watched that season.

Currently catching up on Home Economics. Light. Funny. Only slightly cringe. Cheech was on the last episode and made a Dave isn't here injoke.
Not sure if I should recommend Being Erica or not. At times it was fun but then would suddenly go darker than you expected. The ending was... meh.

Just look up was excellent.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2022, 10:07 AM

Have been hate-watching the Boba Fett series on D+. It’s...not good.
Any thoughts on the season overall?

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 17, 2022, 11:52 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJp8jZJizkQ

Give yer balls a tug, tit fucker

andi*pandi
Feb 17, 2022, 03:51 PM

A whole show just about Shoresy? I dunno, but we'll see. I find the character a bit much. However Letterkenny is a fun show. I wonder how much is scripted and how much is just the actors riffing.

Season 2 of the witcher was enjoyable, not as confusing plotwise (there's a meta comment about that) but more character development.

Currently for light fare enjoying Home Economics, Abbott Elementary, and, kind of, The Real O'Neils. The lengths I will go to avoid finishing the Expanse or watching anything heavy...
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Feb 17, 2022 at 04:22 PM. )

Thorzdad
Feb 17, 2022, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Any thoughts on the season overall?

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 17, 2022, 06:24 PM

A whole show just about Shoresy? I dunno, but we'll see.
Fuck you Andi, your mom ugly cried because she left the lens cap on the camcorder last night!

andi*pandi
Feb 18, 2022, 12:45 PM

Fuck you Rob, your mom just liked my Instagram post from two years ago in Puerto Vallarta.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2022, 05:55 PM

Been slow to catch up as I've been working but I now after 15 seasons I have a supernatural shaped hole in my viewing life.
Been a prt of the landscape for a looooooong time. Like loosing a remote family member. A bit.

Was quite up and down on the finale. As it started I was noooooooooo this isn't the end the characters needed, which morphed into oh wait maybe it is before ending up with I guess a please everyone ending was never possible. It certainly wasn't GoT style send of so we can be thankful for that.
May have to revert to season 1 and redo.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2022, 11:06 AM

Thorzdad
Feb 19, 2022, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post

As I understand it, the show was unofficially considered as Mando s2.5. S3 is coming.

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2022, 12:32 PM

Trying to cancel at least one of these subscriptions. Hulu is likely.

Lately on Apple TV:
Ted Lasso Season 2: finally started it, still enjoyable characters but not as much suspense over plot, so far.
Severance: First episode was slow. Then it really got interesting in a quirky way.
Suspicion: Started well but got ridiculously stupid.
Slow Horses: Because Gary Oldman is so very good even when playing an old fart, and spies. Very well done. They are doing this one ep a week style which is hard. Guess they figured out binging is bad for business?

D+:
Moon Knight: A marvel story I had no background at all in but so far we are loving this. Kid is appalled that we have to wait a whole week for another episode. Jes like the ol' days, I drawl.

Netflix:
We eagerly await Stranger Things 4.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2022, 01:10 PM

We get Hulu/D+/ESPN through Verizon as part of our plan. I also get Apple music through Verizon, so I'm planning to ditch Amazon Prime before renewal, next October. Floated cancelling Netflix to the wife, but she veto'd that for the occasional movie or episode of Queer Eye that she likes to veg on.

We just watched episode 2 of Moon Knight last night. I don't know if the Marvel movies have ruined pacing for me, but the shows feel so slow.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 1, 2022, 09:39 AM

Super late to the party but I am enjoying Elementary. What on earth is Lucy Liu doing in it. It's so low budget old school episodic TV, but it still manages to to be fun. Season 2 sprinkles some additional canon characters in (loved Sean Pertwee as Lestrade) and the take on Moriarty is well done. 7 seasons to plough through which is a bonus.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2022, 12:07 PM

The incredible Barry season 3 is on
The incredible Better Call Saul season 6 (final season) is on
The incredible and weird Atlanta season 3 is on
Tokyo Vice is also recommended although I have comments
Just watched the first episode of Under the Banner of Heaven, pretty decent so far and fills everyone’s lack of LDS content

andi*pandi
May 2, 2022, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Super late to the party but I am enjoying Elementary. What on earth is Lucy Liu doing in it. It's so low budget old school episodic TV, but it still manages to to be fun. Season 2 sprinkles some additional canon characters in (loved Sean Pertwee as Lestrade) and the take on Moriarty is well done. 7 seasons to plough through which is a bonus.
Agreed up until about, oh, season 4 or 5...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2022, 07:21 PM

Finally finished The Expanse. I wish there was more.

OreoCookie
May 2, 2022, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Finally finished The Expanse. I wish there was more.
Yes!
The last episodes were good, but felt a bit rushed. I wish they could have spread the story over one regular or even two seasons. There was more than enough material, me thinks. But the episodes were great with some great lines. Drummer’s speech aimed at Inaros was legendary (“Live shamed. And die empty!”), easily among the best lines in the season. Come to think of it, apart from Amos’ “I’m that guy.”, the best lines were uttered by women. What a great series. Easily among the best TV series ever in my head and at the top of sci fi. I really love DS9 and B5, but The Expanse plays in a different league.

By the way, I finally watched The Matrix 4, and I was surprised by how good it was. Easily, it was the second-best Matrix movie in my book, without, of course, ever getting close to the original. It didn’t take itself too seriously in parts (“We thought that you didn’t want to make any more of them?!”), and the story was consistent as far as the Matrix goes. I liked that they didn’t completely explain the new political situation nor explain what Smith was doing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2022, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
By the way, I finally watched The Matrix 4, and I was surprised by how good it was. Easily, it was the second-best Matrix movie in my book, without, of course, ever getting close to the original. It didn’t take itself too seriously in parts (“We thought that you didn’t want to make any more of them?!”), and the story was consistent as far as the Matrix goes. I liked that they didn’t completely explain the new political situation nor explain what Smith was doing.
I got stuck at home with a cold a couple of weeks ago so I raided Redbox for some goodies, this was one of them. Didn't like it. The game dev scenes put it at too specific of a point in time, culture-wise, and I don't think that will age well. The characters were too caricature-y, with the Chad husband and asshole boss with no socks.

Tied with Revolutions for least favorite. Reloaded's CGI looks really dated now, but the concepts were amazing, as were the fight and car chase scenes. And the soundtrack.

andi*pandi
May 3, 2022, 01:06 PM

we watched matrix 4 also this weekend. Discussion over how much meta was too meta. Enjoyed some callbacks but had not watched 2 or 3 recently enough to remember crazy french guy etc. Mostly liked it, although it was slower/introspective than expected.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2022, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Reloaded's CGI looks really dated now, but the concepts were amazing, as were the fight and car chase scenes.
The whole idea where jumping off a car hood planted the car into the asphalt was truly fantastic.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2022, 04:21 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2022, 08:49 PM

Love it!

It’s not easy being green.

OreoCookie
May 4, 2022, 04:21 AM

we watched matrix 4 also this weekend. Discussion over how much meta was too meta. Enjoyed some callbacks but had not watched 2 or 3 recently enough to remember crazy french guy etc. Mostly liked it, although it was slower/introspective than expected.
I think it was a good idea to make the movie meta. Clearly, it was a risk and not everyone is going to like it, but I prefer that to a CGI bonanza with no story. I’m glad they de-emphasized humans as power plants, and you if you squint you could see the much more interesting take where humans serve as the CPU/GPU hardware that the AIs run on.

@Laminar
I think I understand your point, there are certainly some things that aren’t going to age well. But honestly, I wasn’t expecting a timeless classic. To me the bar, being better than Matrix 2 and 3, has been passed. A low bar, admittedly, but nevertheless a good bar.

Thorzdad
May 4, 2022, 08:03 AM

I’ve been rewatching Legion on Hulu. Man, that was a well-made show.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2022, 11:28 PM

Let’s be honest here: Matrix 4 is dog shit. Like everything else the Wachowskis have made except for Matrix.

Just watched Batman. It was….ok, actually pretty good! A bit dark and grim but this is Batman; it was well done overall. Zoe Kravitz is an alien goddess. I’m still scarred by the misery that was Joker and this one was tense and kinetic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules