Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need More Memory

Need More Memory
atlcane
Jul 27, 2004, 10:39 AM

I need to upgrade my memory from 128MB with Two Dimm to 512MB RAM. Where is the best place to buy the RAM and is it pretty easy to do it myself of the laptop? I have added ram to a PC before but never to a laptop. If I add the RAM myself to I void my AppleCare plan?

I have a 12inch G3 iBook.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by atlcane:
I need to upgrade my memory from 128MB with Two Dimm to 512MB RAM. Where is the best place to buy the RAM and is it pretty easy to do it myself of the laptop? I have added ram to a PC before but never to a laptop. If I add the RAM myself to I void my AppleCare plan?

You can do it but you can not add two 512 sticks. You only have one open slot the other RAM is on the motherboard. Just lift the keyboard and remove the metal panel to install the RAM. Be sure to have the right screwdriver.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

skalie
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Be sure to have the right screwdriver.
Which Captain Obvious forget to add.... "That is a really, really, really small one"

rytc
Senior User
Jul 30, 2004, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by atlcane:
If I add the RAM myself to I void my AppleCare plan?

No you won't void the warranty, can't comment of good US places to buy RAM sorry. But if you do a search it is a topic that has come up many a time around here.

Cheers

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 09:28 PM

I'd like to put in my vote for Datamem I've been ordering my RAM from them since 1997. Only one bad stick that they replaced immediately without question.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 05:05 PM

www.crucial.com has good quality RAM. If you're on a tight budget, check out www.ramseeker.com or www.dealram.com for the best prices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules