Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Idiot OS X question

Idiot OS X question
PConvert
Aug 16, 2004, 01:26 AM

What is the equivalent of alt-tab on a Windows PC on my powerbook? (OS X "Panther")

I'd like to know how to minimize warcraft three / other games
-Philadelphia, PA-

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 01:45 AM

Command-tab switches apps. As far as minimizing full-screen games, that can be spotty... I know Diablo II (and expansion... made by Blizzard... closest I've got to WC3 running) can be minimized via Command-M. Check around the developer's site/manuals/et cetera.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2004, 02:03 AM

Command+Tab will usually do the equivalent of Alt+Tab. As for switching from Full Screen, like he just said, that can be spotty, but with WarCraft 3, it's just Command+M to get out of it. Command+M won't work with all applications though, so don't expect it to work with every game out there.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 07:27 PM

Just another little note: command-` (the key above tab & below Escape) will switch between open windows of the current app.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 01:26 AM

You can access the finder while playing Age of Mythology by using expos�. Might/might not work with other games.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 01:30 AM

If it's not important to put a minimized window in the Dock, you can just hide the app instead. Command-H works in many apps; for the ones that don't, you can option-click on the Desktop if it's not full-screen, you can control-click on its Dock icon and choose "Hide" if you can see the Dock, and if you can't see the Dock, you can command-tab to the Finder where you can.

Hope that helps,
Charles

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules