Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Would you have switched to Windows if OS X was never created?

View Poll Results: What you have switched?
Poll Options:
I would have stayed with the Mac OS. 51 votes (56.04%)
I would have switched my only my business over to a flavor of Windows by now. 1 votes (1.10%)
I would have switched over my personal or my business over to a flavor of Windows by now. 23 votes (25.27%)
I would have switched over to Linux for my personal or business by now. 14 votes (15.38%)
I would have switched over to a different operating system not listed in this poll by now. 2 votes (2.20%)
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll
Would you have switched to Windows if OS X was never created? (Page 2)
Dr.Michael
Mar 19, 2006, 06:33 AM

I would have switched to Linux. A short time before osx came out I realized that I needed a commandline for my development projects. Doing things with apples developer tools was too painful. Buying another expensive update for CodeWarrior every few months sucked too.

But I would have missed the macintoshs user interface (the old one). I still like it a lot.

Originally Posted by besson3c
Consolidating stuff with the Unix world was one of the smartest things Apple has ever done. Positioning the battle as Unix vs. Microsoft was much smarter than BeOS/Apple and Unix vs. Microsoft.
I fully agree. We scientists have always preferred unix based systems for their stability, reliability and computing power. Windows doesn't come close. If you run a job that takes over night you don't want to come into the lab next morning and find the machine crashed after 6 hours. Thats why windows never was an option for me and thats why OS X is a really great system. It has inherited all the nice things of unix machines and replaced the ugly parts (like UI).
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Mar 19, 2006 at 06:44 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Targon
Yes, how utterly stupid was Amelio. I still cannot believe how he was 'conned' by Jobs so easily.
Jobs didn't con him. BeOS wanted WAAAAAAAAY too much money for BeOS and though he could con APple into paying it. He even said he had them by the balls.
Amelio didn't want to pay any more than 50 mill for BeOS so he went and payed 427 mill for NeXT and it still Apple took 4 years to bring it to market and another 4 to get it usable. The Job's stabbed him in the back had him ousted. Biggest fsck up in Apple history IMO.
WHAT? Gil wantd 200mil for BE, and it wasn't even HALF done. Be had only invested in 20m into the project and wanted to sell it for 200m. Apple offered them 100 and they refused. Steve didn't con anyone.

BeOS would have taken lots longer to get to the shelves than OS X. And they got Steve with the deal. Which of whom did save Apple.

I suggest you read that article again.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 11:34 AM

Won't anyone think of the poor subjunctive mood?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
...Gil wantd 200mil for BE...
Jean-Louis Gassée*
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

hayesk
Mar 19, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
If they had stuck with OS 8/9, I would assume they would've finished the Copland project.

I don't know how Copland would've been like. It's be Classic, sure, but with real multitasking and protected memory. That would've been interesting.
Copland was going to be a lower layer with preemptive multitasking and protected memory, but all apps had to share a single UI layer that was cooperative and UIs of different apps were not protected from each other.

There's a reason it was scrapped - nobody would have written apps for that.

Gershwin was going to be the full preemptive, protected OS. Would have been interesting. But UNIX brought more to the table (e.g. multi-user, lots of open source software, etc)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2006, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by itai195
Interesting. I switched to the Mac from Windows for OS X (and an original TiBook). I had to endure OS 9 for a couple months before OS X was released
This mirrors my situation.

I bought the iMac DV SE 500 for my kids. (They were supposed to be good kids machines ... they were .... the machine is STILL in use.) In doing so I began to hear rumblings about OSX ... I purchased a G4 Cube for myself in preparation for the release of OSX. I purchased a copy of OS X 10.0 the day it was released. I'm still blisfully happy. (Just to be clear ... I'm on the LATEST version of OSX now.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 10:25 AM

OS X is what got me to switch to Macs from Windows. I never gave a crap about Macs before that, actually I disliked them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules