Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Well, so much for the US war on drugs

Well, so much for the US war on drugs
daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 25, 2002, 07:38 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 05:03 PM. )

M�lum
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 07:44 PM

If you cannot beat the enemy.......then become the enemy yourself.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2002, 07:48 PM

Maybe they decied to spend the money on "War against homelessness" or "War against raising college prices" or "War against underfunded school systems" or "War against ****ing over the middle class"

Then again, we are living in America....not a dream-world.

War on drugs.......what a ****in crock.

beb
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 08:03 PM

I'm in total agreement. The war on drugs is stupid. Education should be paramount to everything else.

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 08:05 PM

Afganni heroin -- yum yum, it's the best man!

Glad to see Prezidante puppet Bush is still snorting the good stuff.

Me, I mainline.

ARrrgghhhh.....

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

beb
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 08:21 PM

Even the supreme court said that it was illegal for certain types of cancer patients to smoke pot. I think the justices should be taken out back and beaten with big red plastic baseball bats until they start making judgements that contain some modicum of common sense.

Of course that's a solution that does nothing.

Lock em up in a closet or room. Force them all to smoke pot and get wasted on 80 proof. Get some strippers -including a male for Sandra Day and then call every single press person you know of -including Helen Thomas.

Get all the press ready with cameras outside the room. -Then burst thru and make some real press about the Justices. It'll be all over the television for weeks. "We now continue with our supremegate coverage on MSNBC."

Also, when a family trys to grow a crop (illegal or otherwise) in some foreign country, it does not make them terrorists.
It makes them fed for a while and hopefully buys them a new roof.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: beb ]

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2002, 09:30 PM

beb, even then nothing will change. the megacorps still own ($$$) just about EVERYONE in the gov.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>beb, even then nothing will change. the megacorps still own ($$$) just about EVERYONE in the gov.</STRONG>
Do you know why marijuana is really illegal? Paper and cotton companies didn't want the competition. Seriously, even growing rope grade hemp is illegal! My dad always tells me a funny story about how the US relaxed that policy during WWII in order to grow hemp to make rope for thw war, and the rope grade hemp was still growing like a weed in Iowa (we're talking 60's or 70's). He also described the reaction some hippies would have when they tried to smoke it... Ever tried to smoke a rope?

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

daimoni  (op)
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 25, 2002, 10:03 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 05:05 PM. )

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2002, 11:06 PM

Is that what Muhammad Ali meant by "rope-a-dope"?

I think they legalized agricultural hemp in Canada recently. I hear they want to host the Bong Olympics.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: zigzag ]

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2002, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
<STRONG>
Don't you find all of this a bit hypocritical... considering how we're being told that doing drugs promotes terrorism?</STRONG>
Of course, it's hypocritical! Why does that surprise you? We pick and choose who we need as our "friend of the month", for purely political gain. When the Taliban was involved in the drug business (it was a prime source of their funding), it was denounced as horrible. Now that our "friends" are back in office, it's not so bad. This is a sign that we're not going to put as much money back into rebuilding Afghanistan as we were led to believe; we're going to leave these people to fend for themselves in short order, which will be as soon as the American public finds another 60 second news byte to grab their attention!

Why does anyone think the Saudis are our "friends"? They have one of the most repressive monarchys on earth, but they're our friends because we need their oil for our gas guzzlers and we need an ally in that region. It doesn't matter that they treat women little better than dogs and that they squash all dissent, usually violently.

Nothing surprising at all.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 01:25 AM

That link was to a 'BBC News' article.

Isn't that a UK sister publication to the National Enquirer?
*empty space*

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
<STRONG>

Do you know why marijuana is really illegal?</STRONG>
yes.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 01:48 AM

Burma remains on the list and is thus ineligible for US aid.
Why are ANY of these countries 'eligible for US aid' -IE: the endless money train. F this global welfare bullcrap.

Previously, a president determined which countries on the list had cooperated fully with the United States, or taken adequate steps on their own, against drugs.

The change was brought about after complaints from Mexico and other Latin American states that the procedure was humiliating.
Any WHY pray-tell shouldn't it be humiliating for nations -presumably containing a few able bodied adults, not all children- to stick their hand out and demand the endless US-money train keep rollin' through on the back of the US taxpayer? Heaven forbid... don't humiliate anyone. Let's just give these countries the pin numbers to every one's bank accounts and be done with it then.

Screw all this drug traffic bull. The criteria for who gets on the gravy train should actually be *outcome* based like any investment- not 'feel good' based. Fine, we'll give you money. Now let's get real. We want something in return for it.... use it to get your shit straight- if in (x)amount of years you're country is still a poverty -wrecked shithole, you've done nothing with the gravy-train to actually help your people- rather just lined some dictatorship's pockets... the ALLOWANCE is cut off once and for all. Then you can find yourself another sugar daddy.

Oh what's that? You don't LIKE those terms? Boo-hoo unfair? Too humiliating? There's the door ---------&gt;

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: CRASH HARDDRIVE ]

chris_h
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by TNproud2b:
<STRONG>That link was to a 'BBC News' article.

Isn't that a UK sister publication to the National Enquirer?</STRONG>
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man, that was a good laugh.

To answer your question, no, the BBC is (imo) one of the best news sources in the World. It's like CNN, only not as stupid.

I prefer BBCAmerica to any of our local USNews sources.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2002, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by chris_h:
<STRONG>the BBC is (imo) one of the best news sources in the World. It's like CNN, only not as stupid.

I prefer BBCAmerica to any of our local USNews sources.</STRONG>
seconded.

FWIW, CNN lost what credibility they may have had during their Gulf War coverage.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2002, 07:27 AM

"There's no such thing as a winnable war" - Sting

Icidentally I was watching Die Hard 2 - Die Harder this weekend. The theme was the War on Drugs�.

Irony, thou loveth us. (or maybe just me and America :/ )
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

derbs
Senior User
Feb 26, 2002, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by TNproud2b:
<STRONG>That link was to a 'BBC News' article.

Isn't that a UK sister publication to the National Enquirer?</STRONG>
hahaha you're thinking of The Sun

fyi the BBC is one of the best respected news gatherers in the world. Does the US have even *one* that is even respected?

derbs
Senior User
Feb 26, 2002, 10:16 AM

columbia was removed from the US anti-drug blacklist...?

thought that place produced more white stuff than tate and lyle

AppleMaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 01:33 AM

"...gave proof through the night that our flag was still there"

God Bless America!

Forum Links
Forum Rules