Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Word X Quits on Launch

Word X Quits on Launch
Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2003, 06:03 AM

When launching Word X, I get a message saying that the application unexpectly quit. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

dtriska
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 06:13 AM

Does this happen when you are only launching Word, and not opening a Word document. If so, there's some problem with the Project Gallery for some users where once it's shown, the app (Word, Excel, etc.) crashes.

I think the solution was to trash a preference file, but I can't remember which one. Do a search; the solution might be detailed there.

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
Does this happen when you are only launching Word, and not opening a Word document. If so, there's some problem with the Project Gallery for some users where once it's shown, the app (Word, Excel, etc.) crashes.

I think the solution was to trash a preference file, but I can't remember which one. Do a search; the solution might be detailed there.
I"m having the same problem... i just reinstalled everything.. tried to open up my backup files and Word wouldn't open... it won't launch at all...

I just installed it.. it worked fine... then I put my backup files on the computer, try to open them and now Word won't open.

What's the deal?

malvolio
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 12:00 PM

Word v.X is very fussy about corrupted fonts. Try removing all your non-system fonts and see if that helps.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Word v.X is very fussy about corrupted fonts. Try removing all your non-system fonts and see if that helps.
How do you do that? How do you know what is a non-system font?

I havent' figured out the layout of Mac OS X... some things are only under the user library, while others are in the main library...

I've been using 9 for so long, it's hard to get used to OS X evne though it is so much easier to use.

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2003, 12:11 AM

Folks:

I've had this problem more than once and have a solution.

The problem is a corrupted NORMAL.DOT file. Look in "Microsoft Office v.X --> Templates". The Normal.dot file is in there.

A "new" one is about 28K in size. My "working" copy is about 98K in size. When Word gets hosed and constanly crashes on launch, you will find that the Normal.dot file is over 200K in size. I don't know why, but deleting that file and replacing it with a known good one fixes the problem everytime!

What I've done to save myself grief the next time it happens is that I took a new Normal.dot file, loaded Word, created a blank document, made all my preference changes, saved the document and quit Word. I then went into ""Microsoft Office v.X --> Templates" and made a "safe copy" of the file. This way, next time I need it, I just delete the damaged file and copy over the other.

YMMV. Good Luck!

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 01:48 AM

If PubGuy's solution doesn't work than it's the font problem. Specifically, a bad font in your OS9 Font folder.

I don't know why but Word checks that when it starts up. I had the same problem and replacing all the Std fonts fixed it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules