Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ActiveX on OSX?

ActiveX on OSX?
eclou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2005, 03:19 PM

I am looking for anyone who has gotten ActiveX to work on a Mac. I need it for remote logging onto my server from work.

Thanks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 03:21 PM

As far as I understand ActiveX stuff is compiled code not interpreted, and even though the library might have been available in Internet Explorer 5 nobody ever compiled an ActiveX thing for Mac.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 03:54 PM

You're SOL. Get Virtual PC.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2005, 06:12 PM

What Angus said.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 03:03 AM

Lol....every once in a while this topic comes up.

And the funny part is that these people who just gotta have it obviously don't understand what the technology is, or they wouldn't bother asking.

Which begs the question, how can you need something when you don't know what it is?

Tell us more information about the real goal, and maybe we can help you find a cross-platform way to accomplish it.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by eclou
I am looking for anyone who has gotten ActiveX to work on a Mac. I need it for remote logging onto my server from work.

Thanks
I would like to know if you have resolved your ActiveX problem. I have the same concern. I am trying to log onto my network at the office and keep getting a message that says:

"This portion of the Remote Web Workplace requires the Microsoft Remote Desktop ActiveX Control. Your browser's security settings may be preventing you from downloading ActiveX controls. Adjust these settings, and try to connect again."

Other than Virtual PC [which is currently crashing my Mac and sending into a Kernel Panic], is there any other work around out there?
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2005, 04:45 PM

The solution is to tell your workplace to stop sucking.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 05:49 PM

Ask your system admin what the address you need to connect to Remote Desktop is (the one that is set in that ActiveX Control). Then use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection software to connect to the remote computer/terminal server. There is a chance that they have done stupid things to make this unavailable, but there is at least a chance.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
As far as I understand ActiveX stuff is compiled code not interpreted, and even though the library might have been available in Internet Explorer 5 nobody ever compiled an ActiveX thing for Mac.
This is correct. Technically, IE5/Mac does support ActiveX, but only ActiveX controls which are specially compiled for the Mac. I doubt anyone outside Microsoft's testing department -yes, it does exist- has ever actually done anything with this. It's extremely unlikely that the people responsible for your server have done anything with it either.

I'm afraid you're out of luck; Virtual PC is likely your only answer. I would suggest that you start lobbying your workplace to support real standards, rather than lock-in implementations, and we can back you up with resources explaining why they should do this, but the battle will be long and hard, and in the meantime you'll need some way to log in.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 5, 2005, 08:03 PM

Frankly, ActiveX is evil. It is the worst hole in Internet Explorer for Windows (because it is trusted), but it is absolutely NOT trustworthy. It is much better to use Java to do what ActiveX does. However I understand that you don't have any say in this. I would point out that the company's use of an ActiveX login tool precludes you from being able to log in...and maybe they'd like to provide a computer for you to do so, since they have actively blocked the one you have. Maybe they'll get the message.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by larkost
Ask your system admin what the address you need to connect to Remote Desktop is (the one that is set in that ActiveX Control). Then use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection software to connect to the remote computer/terminal server. There is a chance that they have done stupid things to make this unavailable, but there is at least a chance.
This seems like the best solution I have seen so far! Only, it appears to be trying to connect but it doesn't. I will call Microsoft to make that I am using it properly.

Thanks again!!
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules