Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help with selling laptop on ebay

Help with selling laptop on ebay
blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2007, 08:20 AM

hello,
so I use ebay sometimes to buy and sell, I have 45 transactions total.
I put a laptop on last night, and did a pretty high buy it now price, after a couple hours somebody got it with buy it now.
So I did my reseach on the buyer, and he only registered yesterday, and obviously has 0 feedback, and he put his feedback as private. Also his name is t.buyerXXX. So all in all to me it doesnt look very trustworthy. So I was wondering what I can do to not lose money on this. i.e. what can happen when he pays with a confirmed paypal account, and what can happen when he pays but his paypal account is not confirmed...etc...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2007, 09:42 AM

If he pays with PayPal, you should be able to transfer that money to your bank account relatively quickly.

DON'T SHIP IT UNTIL HE'S PAID AND YOU HAVE THE MONEY. I've dealt with one deadbeat bidder in the past. He never paid me - I reported him, left feedback, and relisted the item. If the guy doesn't pay, eBay will let you report it and relist the item at no additonal cost (you won't have to pay the listing fees twice).

Good luck.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2007, 10:15 AM

If he wants to pay with anything else but paypal or cash then run.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
hello,
so I use ebay sometimes to buy and sell, I have 45 transactions total.
I put a laptop on last night, and did a pretty high buy it now price, after a couple hours somebody got it with buy it now.
So I did my reseach on the buyer, and he only registered yesterday, and obviously has 0 feedback, and he put his feedback as private. Also his name is t.buyerXXX. So all in all to me it doesnt look very trustworthy. So I was wondering what I can do to not lose money on this. i.e. what can happen when he pays with a confirmed paypal account, and what can happen when he pays but his paypal account is not confirmed...etc...
When he pays with paypal, don't let him use a creditcard based transfer, as he can retract it easily. Even when you have the money pulled into your bank account - then your paypal account will show a minus.
Better let him make a real bank transfer - that's my method of eBay handling since 1997.

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2007, 10:40 AM

^ Chances are, that doesn't work in the US. Few banks allow personal transfers of funds.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2007, 11:15 AM

This is exactly why I put a disclaimer in my auctions stating that I do NOT accept bidders with 0 or negative feedback.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
^ Chances are, that doesn't work in the US. Few banks allow personal transfers of funds.
Well, you can force your buyers to pay with PayPal via a bank account, which puts real money in your PayPal account, making it harder for you to get screwed over.

You could always play it super safe and make them mail you a money order.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Cold Warrior
Jul 16, 2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I've used several banks -- local and national -- and have never had any issues. Often they'll charge a fee if the "wire" is to an outside bank, but as long as I've had the account and routing numbers, I've never had issues.

blackstar  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2007, 12:46 PM

as it looks to me, he is not paying...which is what i like best in this case...his ebay address is in the US, florida. Does that help me?

Rumor
Jul 16, 2007, 12:59 PM

Give him 48 hours, then relist.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

blackstar  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2007, 06:18 PM

what to do? just report to ebay right away? or wait until he sends me a fake paypal payment email?
Hello ,
Season's Greetings to you.I am XXXX from Orlando, Fl ,US.I'm contacting you concerning your item on Ebay which i eventually became the winning bidder for your item.Morever i'm presently serving our beloved nation here in with the United Nation and i intend sending this item to my son who works with the American Embassy in Nigeria as a visa Officer.So i will like you Ship the package via USPS 3-5 DAYS POSTAL SERVICE Shipping to Nigeria and I will like you to go know the Shipping cost and calculate the shipping cost and the item for Payment get back with the amount i will be paying immediately..I will be sending you my payment via PayPal,So kindly send me your (PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS) So as to immediately make out my payment.Make sure you get the package ready for immediate or next day shipment okay?.Expecting your reply so as to immediately make out my payment.
Regards
XXXXX
N:B
This is the shipping information...
NAME......XXXX
ADDRESS....XXXX
CITY......IKEJA
STATE....LAGOS STATE
COUNTRY....NIGERIA
ZIP CODE...100001

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Jul 16, 2007, 07:53 PM

what to do? just report to ebay right away? or wait until he sends me a fake paypal payment email?
You shouldn't report him until he does something wrong. You know, "innocent until proven guilty"? It's an obvious scammer, though...

It's a shame for all the honest Nigerian ebay bidders.

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2007, 09:02 PM

I wouldn't sell to buyesr with zero feedback. You have to watch out for credit card fraud.

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2007, 09:02 PM

Also, even money orders and cashier's checks can be cancelled. Be sure not to ship overseas. This is 99.99% fake.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2007, 09:08 PM

Tell him he can have the laptop if he shows up with cash at your door. You don't ship overseas and especially not to Nigeria, period.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Rumor
Aug 7, 2007, 12:47 AM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
You bumped an old thread just for that? What's the point?

Forum Links
Forum Rules