Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > You have 1 hour to respond - Powerbook going insane!

You have 1 hour to respond - Powerbook going insane!
Ham Sandwich
Dec 21, 2007, 04:34 PM

(changed thread title should be "Powerbook going insane!" now)

I am going away for the vacation in 2.5 hours, and my powerbook (which I plan to take with me as a temporary computer) just went insane. I have my iMac G5 sitting here competently. In the past 30 minutes, I have found the following:

The problems started when I went to turn on Bluetooth (1.5GHz machine), and Bluetooth, for some reason, was not recognized.

Then I create a guest account to see if it's a software problem, and I get a Kernal panic.

Then I restart the computer, wait for the boot sequence to commence, and all of a sudden, the computer reboots itself, goes through the reboot sequence, reboots again, and so forth.

I zapped the PRAM, nothing. I reset the open firmware, nothing.

I tried doing a Carbon Clone, but CCC kept failing at seemingly every little file from System folder to mach_kernel.

Then I put in my Leopard installation CD, erased the hard drive (Mounting took 4 minutes), and guess what, now my Powerbook's hard drive isn't even recognizable!!!!

WHAT THE FREAKIN HELL??

My best guess is that my powerbook's hard drive is dead. (I've never had a hard drive fail on me before!)

If so, then tell me, because I don't mind bringing my iMac with me for the break, but I need to know right now.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Dec 22, 2007 at 11:17 AM. )

Cold Warrior
Dec 21, 2007, 04:37 PM

Run the 'verify disk' or 'repair disk' option from Disk Utility (while booted from the CD). Maybe it'll fix it.

But it does sound like a HD failure. You could try to purchase a new HD while on vacation, and swap it yourself. Just don't forget any small tools you'd need, plus any backups or reinstallation discs.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 21, 2007, 04:43 PM

Repair disk permissions was not available, and Verify disk or disk permissions (doesn't matter) gives a red error message, something like the underlying process was cancelled at exit.

I've got the tools, and I already found
60.0GB Western Digital "Scorpio" 5400RPM 9.5MM... (WD600UE) at OWC (note to self, check to see that it works with the Powerbook model!)

as a replacement if need be.

But only if it's a dead drive. Uugh, the timing right now.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2007, 04:55 PM

You can put in bigger drives as long as they're ATA. Probably up to 160GB. Why limit yourself to 60GB?

Ham Sandwich
Dec 21, 2007, 05:04 PM

Does it matter?

Do I need a new hard drive or not?

(Original is 80GB but I only need 60GB, so to keep price down.)

Cold Warrior
Dec 21, 2007, 05:15 PM

We can't tell you with 100% confidence because we're not sitting there with a suite of diagnostic utilities. However, if you run the hardware test and it returns nothing, then I'd say yes, you need a new hard drive.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 21, 2007, 05:27 PM

I'm assuming that "the hardware test" means booting from my Leopard disk while holding down the D key, correct? (I had to look this up....)

Well when I did that, the Mac OS X boot CD just booted as if I had held down the C key.

How do I access the hardware test?

Cold Warrior
Dec 21, 2007, 05:29 PM

The hardware test should be on the restore disc(s) that came with your powerbook. Possibly on a separate disc, or shared with the restore DVD (like you said, by holding down 'd').

Ham Sandwich
Dec 21, 2007, 05:33 PM

Those discs were never given to me when I ordered my Powerbook.

Also, a re-erase of my Powerbooks's hard drive from Leopard took just 10 seconds this time around. Have no idea if that helps the determination.

(I need to unplug this computer in 30 or so minutes and take it with me for the break. Will not be able to respond then.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules