Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going to Bali....any MiniDV Recommendations?

Going to Bali....any MiniDV Recommendations?
jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Oct 14, 2003, 04:04 AM

I'm going to Bali next month, and I'm wanting to document my trip with a brand spanking new MiniDV camcorder. Since most of us on these boards are Mac users (you'd think), I'd like to get your opinions on the best MiniDV cameras for under $500 AND are compatible with the Mac. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Canon zr70mc.

Help me please.

--jonas

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2003, 04:06 AM

I highly recommend the Canon ZR series. I just got a ZR65, and am very pleased with it. I know a guy who just got the ZR70, and it looks pretty cool too, although the only real advantage it seems to have over the 65 is that it has 22x optical zoom instead of just 20x and it comes with a wide-angle lens attachment.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2003, 05:10 AM

There is DV-cams not compatible with mac?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jonasmac  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2003, 06:22 PM

Yeah, right now I'm looking at either the Canon ZR70 or the Sony DCR-TRV22. I live in Guam, so these aren't readily available for me to look at live and in person. I've read some head to head comparisons online, but I'd like to get the opinions of mac users because we've got the right kind of perspective.

--jonas

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 06:37 PM

I have had a Sony DRV 17, a predecessor model, for a couple of years. It's been excellent, full compatibility as iMovie has been upgraded. Never had a problem at all and accessories are widely available. I have a couple of other Sony cameras and have found them to be good solid units.

One thing, whatever you get: if you are going to be taking any indoor footabe of people, I highly recommend a light. Having a light has improved my movies immensely.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2003, 07:47 PM

A wide-angle lens is also a useful thing. I would have really liked to have had one today.

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 14, 2003, 10:42 PM

I suggest a Canon ZR series DV camera with a wide angle lense to capture all the shrapnel that flies out of nightclubs.

- Ca$h

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by wifedoer68:
I suggest a Canon ZR series DV camera with a wide angle lense to capture all the shrapnel that flies out of nightclubs.

- Ca$h
It was only a matter of time... I was amazed at how many sensible posts preceded this one!

Actually, saw a program about the anniversary of the Bali bombing this week and the place still appeared to be very quiet - the local traders, hotel & bar owners seemed desperate to get tourists back there. There is still I believe a travel warning on Bali (ie essential travel only) issued by at least the Aussie and NZ governments. Having said that, enjoy your trip - I'm sure it'll be wonderful!

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 14, 2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
It was only a matter of time... I was amazed at how many sensible posts preceded this one!
Heh. I had to say it; its the only real knowledge I have about Bali. Seriously though, the ZR series is GREAT. I bought one 2.5 years ago and its been incredible, even if my mother was stupid enough to drown the thing in tonic water. ARGH.

- Ca$h

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 12:12 AM

I have a ZR10 that I got 3 years ago. It's a good all around camcorder. What I like about it the most is its compact shape. It fits in the palm of your hand nicely. If you go with a ZRXX, I high recommend that you purchase the BP-522 battery pack. The battery that comes with the camera only last about 1 hour. The BP-522 is around $80, but it give you around 3 hours of film time. I have taken my camcorder on 3 fishing trips to Canada and have made some very memorable movies of my dad and myself catching big Walleyes. I've used the camera with iMovie and Final Cut Pro.

If you get a Canon ZR-Series, get this battery!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2003, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
I have a ZR10 that I got 3 years ago. It's a good all around camcorder. What I like about it the most is its compact shape. It fits in the palm of your hand nicely. If you go with a ZRXX, I high recommend that you purchase the BP-522 battery pack. The battery that comes with the camera only last about 1 hour. The BP-522 is around $80, but it give you around 3 hours of film time. I have taken my camcorder on 3 fishing trips to Canada and have made some very memorable movies of my dad and myself catching big Walleyes. I've used the camera with iMovie and Final Cut Pro.

If you get a Canon ZR-Series, get this battery!
Agreed. Or get the BP-535 for 9.5 hours (with the ZR65, dunno about the others)!

Also, check out us1camera.com. They have really good prices, and when they call you to confirm your order they'll keep offering you more and more stuff for less and less money until you end up getting a real steal.

jonasmac  (op)
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 08:14 PM

Thanks for all your helpful replies. Looks like I'm gonna go with the Canon.

Turns out the weekend I'm going is a muslim holiday, making some of the friends I'm going with a little nervous, but that's just paranoia. Me, I'm not worried about it. People travel from Guam to Bali all the time with no issues.

I'm just looking for a little surf and seeing some monkeys and elephants for the first time ever....and I'm gonna document it all!

--jonas

Forum Links
Forum Rules