Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > MiniDV Recommendations?

MiniDV Recommendations?
jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Oct 14, 2003, 04:04 AM

I'm going to Bali next month, and I'm wanting to document my trip with a brand spanking new MiniDV camcorder. Since most of us on these boards are Mac users (you'd think), I'd like to get your opinions on the best MiniDV cameras for under $500 AND are compatible with the Mac. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Canon zr70mc.

Help me please.

--jonas

jtbullet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 09:19 AM

The $300 bottom of the line JVC is supposedly really nice. I would step up to the one that you can get for under $500, they all use the same ccd, and you get better things like analog input, which is really cool fo converting vhs to dv. Dont underestimate this need.
Jarrett

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 10:34 AM

The ZR series are all nice for their respective price-points. Plus they are super small and light, which is nice if you have to tromp around some country lugging it everywhere.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 11:30 AM

I'll second the Canon ZR series! I have a ZR 40, and the quality of the images is superb! Everything I've read and heard indicates that Canon has the best optics for the money!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 06:01 PM

I have a Sony TRV-22, which is probably close to $500. I haven't checked the prices lately. Very nice for the money. And small!!!!

jonasmac  (op)
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Oct 14, 2003, 06:19 PM

Yeah, right now I'm looking at either the Canon ZR70 or the Sony DCR-TRV22. I live in Guam, so these aren't readily available for me to look at live and in person. I've read some head to head comparisons online, but I'd like to get the opinions of mac users because we've got the right kind of perspective.

--jonas

Zoom
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 12:07 AM

I vote for the ZR60, which I own. I would argue against the ZR65 or ZR70 - you don't need a crappy digital camera or all the goofy bells and whistles. It's not worth the extra money.

Check out the dvspot web site for great comparisons and detailed, professional reviews. There's a full review of the ZR65 which talks about the 60 and 70, too.

The form factor is outstanding! It feels great in your hand, takes great video. It also works well with iMovie.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2003, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by Zoom:
[B]I vote for the ZR60, which I own. I would argue against the ZR65 or ZR70 - you don't need a crappy digital camera or all the goofy bells and whistles. It's not worth the extra money.
/B]
I have an older model of the ZR series, the ZR40. In general the ZR series has great optical zoom, simple streamlined (read: well designed and thought-out) controls, excellent battery life, and superb durability.

I highly recommend them. You might want to pick up the optional wider angle lens. Makes for some interesting shots.

Forum Links
Forum Rules