Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Heroes Season Premier

Heroes Season Premier (Page 12)
Cold Warrior
Dec 10, 2008, 08:39 PM

The only thing I can think of is that the Haitian was still blocking Arthur's powers and didn't have enough juice left to block Sylar.

It shows how poor the writing and plot lines are when we have to make excuses and fill in holes that they should have taken care of or at least explained better.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
That's what was implied, but if the Haitian's power broke then Arthur would get his powers back and wouldn't have any issue with a bullet going toward the front of the head, right?
That's what I have a problem with. Shouldn't Arthur gain his powers back the moment the Haitian guy no longer was able to contain him.

Unless Sylar somehow got the Haitian's power through empathy which he learned how to do two episodes back. But, that would mean Sylar is now the most powerful guy. I don't think Sylar is able to acquire power through empathy anymore after killing Elle.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2008, 06:06 AM

If Sylar got Elle's power through empathy, why did he brain her? The eclipse episodes ended up as a non event because the powers came back afterwards, but I liked this episode.

Another power check question - Does Sylar have super strength like the Marine they just gave the injection to, or is he there now thinking "Oh yeah, I'll have some of that "

Another thing I would like to have seen a few episodes back in the Sylar backstory when he was gaining powers, was where he got the trademark 'braining pointy finger' power from. I thought the emo goth kid was going to be that, but it was the hand as a gun thing instead.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
If Sylar got Elle's power through empathy, why did he brain her? The eclipse episodes ended up as a non event because the powers came back afterwards, but I liked this episode.

Another power check question - Does Sylar have super strength like the Marine they just gave the injection to, or is he there now thinking "Oh yeah, I'll have some of that "

Another thing I would like to have seen a few episodes back in the Sylar backstory when he was gaining powers, was where he got the trademark 'braining pointy finger' power from. I thought the emo goth kid was going to be that, but it was the hand as a gun thing instead.
I think he lost his "empathy", so he lost any powers gain from "empathy". Thus he had to acquire powers the old way. I don't know why Sylar didn't take out the Haitian guy when he had the chance.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The only thing I can think of is that the Haitian was still blocking Arthur's powers and didn't have enough juice left to block Sylar.
Or maybe the Haitian has an ulterior motive for giving Sylar a pass

It shows how poor the writing and plot lines are when we have to make excuses and fill in holes that they should have taken care of or at least explained better.
I've noticed that everyone seems to like Season 1 but nothing since then. In Season 1 we were making excuses and filling in the holes too, but back then everyone just assumed that the holes were left intentionally, as clues. Nowadays, everyone just assumes that we are supposed to know how everything works, and gaps not explicitly explained aren't clues anymore, now they're sloppy writing. It's said about all shows in all genres: if all the characters made the right decisions all the time, if the audience understands everything from the word go, if there is no mystery and no surprises, then what is the point of watching?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2008, 01:20 PM

The thing is, we (geeks) usually demand logical continuity in our entertainment. We can accept absurd things in a given universe as long as the universe remains logically consistent in its continuity. When things don't work the way they're supposed to given the rules established by the show, it bothers us.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thorzdad
Dec 11, 2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Isaac's drawings were visions of the future. Unless something changed the future, I don't think they would change.
I would tend to think of the sketchbook as Isaac's visions of possible futures and the finished comic books as what he focused into as the true future. So, since he never got to codify his visions into a final, focused vision (i.e. the final comic book), what we see in the sketchbook remains mere possibilities.

Anyway, that's how I would write it, in order to weaselget around Hiro apparently powerless and stuck on a flagpole.
Kind of like that entire season of Dallas being just a dream.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2008, 02:02 PM

The thing is, we (geeks) usually demand logical continuity in our entertainment
...often to the point of inventing our own rules and laws about what must be going on, to bring order to our mental representation of a chaotic world (just like in real life). The "actual" rules might be different, their depiction might be intentional misdirection, they might change, or the characters themselves might also not know all of the rules. We already know that real people change their minds, act irrationally, and hide their true intentions. I see this show is getting a lot of flack just for its characters doing the same thing. If anything, I am inclined to fault the show for doing the opposite, when characters show their emotions or opinions by grandly declaring them outright instead of oh I don't know... acting. That's the part that's unrealistic. I don't let that bother me because that's how comic books are so that's what they're trying to do.

Anyway, it's natural to theorize a code of rules that make sense of the show, but when they don't match, it's silly to not have the flexibility to adapt your code to the show, instead of whining about the show not adapting itself to your code.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Or maybe the Haitian has an ulterior motive for giving Sylar a pass

I've noticed that everyone seems to like Season 1 but nothing since then. In Season 1 we were making excuses and filling in the holes too, but back then everyone just assumed that the holes were left intentionally, as clues. Nowadays, everyone just assumes that we are supposed to know how everything works, and gaps not explicitly explained aren't clues anymore, now they're sloppy writing. It's said about all shows in all genres: if all the characters made the right decisions all the time, if the audience understands everything from the word go, if there is no mystery and no surprises, then what is the point of watching?
If there are no rules and no internal logic and nothing that happens now has any real effect on what happens later, what's the point of watching a dramatic series?

JK Rowling once said that the most important thing she did with Harry Potter was sit down and come up with the rules for how the universe operates. This allowed her to have a world with magic and all kinds of fantastic stuff, but there weren't ass-pulls every other page taking people out of the story. It allows people to connect. And you know what? She still managed to surprise a few people.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2008, 03:17 PM

If there are no rules and no internal logic and nothing that happens now has any real effect on what happens later, what's the point of watching a dramatic series?
But we have people complaining that what happened in a certain episode won't have any effect on what happens later, before they have any idea what will happen later. Who are you to say that it won't come back and have significance next week or in the season finale or in later seasons? For example, we don't even know what "the catalyst" is, but people are already whining because "it's gone" and "it didn't matter." You really don't think they'll bring it back into the story somehow? Just be patient. Maybe it didn't matter, and maybe it did, chill out and wait for them to tell their tale.

I'm not saying that lack of continuity isn't bad (it is), I'm saying that people are being absurd in their expectations of how often that continuity should be shoved down the audience's throats. People seem to think that all questions should be answered right now today in the same episode they're raised. That almost never happens, because doing so is bad storytelling.

Edit: I'm not saying that Heroes is great storytelling (or even "good"), but the ways it's lacking are pretty much the polar opposite of the things a lot of the complaints are about. The ways it's lacking are the same ways from season 1: the acting sucks, the plot drags, and too many of the characters are just plain boring.
( Last edited by Uncle Skeleton; Dec 11, 2008 at 03:25 PM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2008, 07:11 PM

For people who know/write fiction, it is common knowledge that fantastical universes are required to have stricter rules than stories set in our own universe. The reader/watcher will buy into the universe you create as long as it's logically consistent.

The Star Wars Universe and Middle Earth are two such examples. If even the slightest bit is inconsistent, the reader/watcher will lose interest in that universe.

Fantastical universes does NOT mean anything goes. Far from it!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 11, 2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I would tend to think of the sketchbook as Isaac's visions of possible futures and the finished comic books as what he focused into as the true future. So, since he never got to codify his visions into a final, focused vision (i.e. the final comic book), what we see in the sketchbook remains mere possibilities.
But that's not how we've seen his power work. He gets into his "zone" and involuntarily paints/draws the future as it will happen. We've never seen someone paint multiple versions of the future as far as I can recall.

I just don't like time travel and the way it's impossible to do it right. The Austin Powers movies were the only ones that handled it correctly, and that was because they admitted it couldn't work at all.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 11, 2008, 07:37 PM

Peter went to find the Haitian and it became a sort of journey for him. He found his inner hero without powers, but then back in the U.S. he wimped out.
How did he wimp out? He fired the gun, right?

Cold Warrior
Dec 11, 2008, 07:40 PM

He hesitated too long. Indecision and being irresolute are Peter's trademarks unfortunately. I thought he'd move beyond that after his training with the invisible man in season one.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2008, 07:43 PM

He hesitated too long. Indecision and being irresolute are Peter's trademarks unfortunately. I thought he'd move beyond that after his training with the invisible man in season one.
But he pulled the trigger.

Also, what's keeping Arthur dead? We know that a body will heal itself once powers are regained, did Peter hit the perfect spot in the brain to kill him, or is the Haitian going to always be within 20 feet of Arthur's body so that he doesn't come back to life?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2008, 10:51 PM

But we have people complaining that what happened in a certain episode won't have any effect on what happens later, before they have any idea what will happen later.
I thought we were discussing stuff that happened earlier that's failed to properly affect what's happening now.

For example, we don't even know what "the catalyst" is, but people are already whining because "it's gone" and "it didn't matter."
We do know what the catalyst is. It's the ingredient needed to stabilize artificial abilities given to people. It's the glowy thing Hiro got from his mom.

I'm not saying that lack of continuity isn't bad (it is), I'm saying that people are being absurd in their expectations of how often that continuity should be shoved down the audience's throats. People seem to think that all questions should be answered right now today in the same episode they're raised. That almost never happens, because doing so is bad storytelling.
I think you're misunderstanding. The problem isn't that questions aren't being answered, it's that the show doesn't even appear to realize they are questions. For example, if Peter had been like, "WTF? I thought your power was a passive aura," that would have been acknowledging that something odd was happening with the Haitian's power. Instead they appear to have simply retconned how his ability works.

Edit: I'm not saying that Heroes is great storytelling (or even "good"), but the ways it's lacking are pretty much the polar opposite of the things a lot of the complaints are about. The ways it's lacking are the same ways from season 1: the acting sucks, the plot drags, and too many of the characters are just plain boring.
I disagree. Season 1 had its problems, season 2 had the same problems but failed to deliver the awesomeness to go along with it, and season 3 has invented a whole cornucopia of new problems. Seasons 1 and 2 dragged at times, but they didn't have a problem of totally switching gears or contradicting themselves every five minutes like this season does. And this season actually has fewer annoying or boring characters than the previous ones, IMO, thanks to the killing of the Niki clan and emphasizing Sylar over Peter.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Dec 11, 2008 at 10:57 PM. )
Chuck
___

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2008, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Fantastical universes does NOT mean anything goes. Far from it!
Heroes is also far from it; it's downright formulaic. They even used the same actor this week for the same plot device that he played in the 4400.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2008, 03:01 AM

I thought we were discussing stuff that happened earlier that's failed to properly affect what's happening now.
I wasn't, but I'll take your lead: like what? The only "failures" I'm aware of depend on the audience taking all characters' motivations at face value, with no room for deception or torn allegiance.

We do know what the catalyst is. It's the ingredient needed to stabilize artificial abilities given to people. It's the glowy thing Hiro got from his mom.
That's what it does, not what it is. "Glowy" doesn't count
Don't you think it reminds you of that symbol that Takezo Kensei used, that then came back to be the PineHurst DNA logo and then later the "earth is splitting in half" logo? When we saw it on the sword (or wherever we first saw it, I forget), that could have been the end of that. But they tied it back in (doubly so) for whatever reason. They like to return to the same themes, and I think they'll do the same with the catalyst, if they have time before being cancelled.

I think you're misunderstanding. The problem isn't that questions aren't being answered, it's that the show doesn't even appear to realize they are questions. For example, if Peter had been like, "WTF? I thought your power was a passive aura," that would have been acknowledging that something odd was happening with the Haitian's power. Instead they appear to have simply retconned how his ability works.
But this is what I was saying, it's been like this from the start. Did the other characters pitch a fit when the Haitian had both the power-blocking power and the mind-erasing power? No, they just kind of said "oh I guess that's part of it" and went with the flow. And that's what they're doing now. It's an extension of what we already know about him. Instead of talking about it, they show it. They do that with all the characters, and have from the start. Remember when Claire woke up from her first autopsy with her bare heart sticking out? That was the same thing, something a little inconsistent with what we already knew about her power, but an extension along a similar line. Nobody in the show stood up and said "but wait that's not how it works," they just went with it.

Also, this is another thing I was saying, when one of the characters steps out of the story for exposition, like the scene you described, that's awful storytelling. Heroes is guilty of this a lot, so your scene wouldn't be out of place, but that's a bad thing, not a good thing.

I disagree. Season 1 had its problems, season 2 had the same problems but failed to deliver the awesomeness to go along with it, and season 3 has invented a whole cornucopia of new problems. Seasons 1 and 2 dragged at times, but they didn't have a problem of totally switching gears or contradicting themselves every five minutes like this season does. And this season actually has fewer annoying or boring characters than the previous ones, IMO, thanks to the killing of the Niki clan and emphasizing Sylar over Peter.
Maybe. It still has too much Nathan, Niki the 3rd, Mohinder, Elle, and the most boring character of all: The Formula. Also Claire. And Peter. I find myself skipping to the Hiro scenes, just like I did in season 1.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2008, 04:41 AM

Haitian guy theory: His power cancelling thing is still an aura like it seemed to be until Arthur overpowered him. But it wasn't the Haitian's power being directed at Arthur, it was Arthur directing something at the Haitian and knocking his aura out. We know that Arthur's powers are pretty much effortless to do what he wants, he doesn't need to 'do a Hiro' and look like he's squeezing one out to activate a power. Who's to say we have seen or can account for every power he has?

PBG4 User
Senior User
Dec 12, 2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
But that's not how we've seen his power work. He gets into his "zone" and involuntarily paints/draws the future as it will happen. We've never seen someone paint multiple versions of the future as far as I can recall.

I just don't like time travel and the way it's impossible to do it right. The Austin Powers movies were the only ones that handled it correctly, and that was because they admitted it couldn't work at all.
The African guy who helped Parkman on his spirit quest was repainting the future as Arthur got well after killing Adam (how did Adam get his powers from feudal Japan if it was a recent eclipse that gave all the present day people their powers?), getting better and started sucking up those different powers.

[edit]
10 dumbest moves in season 3 article, what do you think?
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User View Post
The African guy who helped Parkman on his spirit quest was repainting the future as Arthur got well after killing Adam (how did Adam get his powers from feudal Japan if it was a recent eclipse that gave all the present day people their powers?), getting better and started sucking up those different powers.

[edit]
10 dumbest moves in season 3 article, what do you think?
I was speaking primarily of drawing multiple versions of the future at the same time. In the case of the African dude, someone changed a decision based on a previous future drawing, thereby changing the future, so he painted another version. We know it's possible for a "futurist" to paint a future that doesn't happen because of actions taken after seeing the future painting, that's been the theme of all three seasons.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2008, 03:50 PM

No comments on the new episode yet? I liked it. Action, people dying, black president...what more could you ask for?

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Dec 16, 2008, 06:18 PM

I like where they are going with Nathan. I never liked him anyway. The characters seemed a little bit smarter in this one, so that was good. I enjoyed the last two episodes.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No comments on the new episode yet? I liked it. Action, people dying, black president...what more could you ask for?
Sweet. Michael Dorn for president.

I love how Ando got powers and had to figure it out on what it was, yet Peter takes it, an in one second knows he can fly. Brilliant!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Sweet. Michael Dorn for president.

I love how Ando got powers and had to figure it out on what it was, yet Peter takes it, an in one second knows he can fly. Brilliant!
He knew he could fly because he already knew that his power was absorbing other people's powers, and Nathan was standing right in front of him
Chuck
___

Cold Warrior
Dec 16, 2008, 08:30 PM

Good episode.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 08:33 PM

Meh. Sylar holding everyone hostage was boring and a waste of time.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Cold Warrior
Dec 16, 2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Meh. Sylar holding everyone hostage was boring and a waste of time.
Yeah a little. Up until the very end when Peter flight-rescued Nathan, I thought Peter would fly to Primatech, confront Sylar (and therefore absorb all his powers) and duke it out like they should have done in previous seasons.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 08:43 PM

He knew he could fly because he already knew that his power was absorbing other people's powers, and Nathan was standing right in front of him
So taking the Serium gives you your powers back you already had? If you had no power it's random?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 08:51 PM

If I remember correctly, towards the beginning of the season, Mohinder said that the power you get is determined by your biology. That's why he was sure the serum he made from Maya wouldn't give him Maya's power.
Chuck
___

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2008, 12:43 PM

Great episode. Worf as president. Peter finally getting his powers back.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2008, 12:52 PM

So Mohinder is barely functional and yet he has the time and presense to speak into a voice recorder. I assume he has a secretary to document his tapes.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2008, 07:53 PM

Good episode, I might have missed this before but Flint the flamethrower guy had a scar on his face of the S symbol. Oh and if I had fire I couldn't control coming out of my hands, I wouldn't be letting it off TOWARDS the only other person in the room!

Worf for president

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2008, 11:16 PM

Good episode, I might have missed this before but Flint the flamethrower guy had a scar on his face of the S symbol.
I noticed that for the first time, too.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but how do the cells on level 5 contain people with powers? Is the bulletproof glass also "powers-proof?" Could the puppeteer not do his thing from within the cell? The Haitian isn't always around, so that can't be the reason.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2008, 11:31 PM

Based on what we've seen in previous episodes, the Company seems to have figured out how to make pills and liquids that duplicate the Haitian's powers.
Chuck
___

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2008, 12:04 PM

I thought there was some sort of device to do that too, back in season 1. But I don't think we ever saw it, Bennett only talked about it or something.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 18, 2008, 12:15 PM

Oh and if I had fire I couldn't control coming out of my hands, I wouldn't be letting it off TOWARDS the only other person in the room!
That was so stupid.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2008, 12:46 PM

I got the impression that the room was supposed to be flammable, so she was letting the flames out where they were least likely to ignite anything — so standing in a corner and shooting into the center of the room.
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Dec 18, 2008, 01:29 PM

Looked like plain concrete to me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Looked like plain concrete to me.
Yeah, it did. That's why I said it was supposed to be flammable — it seemed like they thought she could burn down the room but the sets people didn't catch onto that.
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 03:04 AM

I liked the finale, although Sylar's Saw scenario was a little ridiculous.

You know, if they're lazy, they can just say that by taking the formula, Peter's previous powers, which had been integrated with his biology for some time, were completely restored.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 04:07 AM

You know, if they're lazy, they can just say that by taking the formula, Peter's previous powers, which had been integrated with his biology for some time, were completely restored.
They could, but since the only power we've seen him use is the only one he already would have reabsorbed, it seems like he's going to have to get them back the old-fashioned way. Not that it's very difficult — all he has to do is stand in the same room as the rest of the cast and he's back to being the most powerful man in the world in record time.
Chuck
___

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 22, 2008, 05:43 AM

altho no one alive can stop time or draw the future anymore (thankfully). so he won't be getting those back.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
altho no one alive can stop time or draw the future anymore (thankfully). so he won't be getting those back.
Ando's supercharging power with Daphne can travel through time, and Sylar can paint the future because he brained Isaac (I'm pretty sure he still has that power). With Peter it depends if he has all his powers back now or just Nathan's because he absorbed it, if he has it all back, he has time control. I'm sure they'll find a way to restore Hiro's time control power though. African spirit walker guy might also be alive (Parkman saw him at the end, vision or real?)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 07:35 AM

Ando's supercharging power with Daphne can travel through time, and Sylar can paint the future because he brained Isaac (I'm pretty sure he still has that power). With Peter it depends if he has all his powers back now or just Nathan's because he absorbed it, if he has it all back, he has time control. I'm sure they'll find a way to restore Hiro's time control power though. African spirit walker guy might also be alive (Parkman saw him at the end, vision or real?)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 08:05 AM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 12:30 PM

I'll bet you $10 Angela or somebody yanks out the glass just to be nice. As we saw when Claire died and got autopsied in season 1, they can recover from some pretty gnarly injuries once their brain is whole again.
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 12:33 PM

You think Noah would be stupid enough not to finally deliver a killing blow this time? If so, that would be pretty pathetically written. I think he's really gone this time, so that he can play an unencumbered pseudo-Spock.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 12:38 PM

Bennett was focused on getting out of the building before it exploded and I don't think he even had a gun at that point. No time for a coup de grace.

Also, Sylar mostly finished Spocking it up several months ago, as I recall.
Chuck
___

Cold Warrior
Dec 22, 2008, 12:47 PM

If so, that would be pretty pathetically written.
That wouldn't be anything new.

Forum Links
Forum Rules