Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Man 'marries' iPhone in Las Vegas ceremony

Man 'marries' iPhone in Las Vegas ceremony
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 29, 2016, 12:23 PM

While in no way legal or binding, The Little Las Vegas Chapel has played host to an unusual ceremony where a man named Aaron Chervenak had a commitment ceremony to "marry" his iPhone. While the groom himself did not comment, chapel owner Michael Kelly, who has overseen similar ceremonies involving pets "getting married" or "weed weddings" where people professed their love for marijuana, said the "iPhone marriage" was intended as a statement on society's dependence on the devices.

"[While] we really don't have many people [come in here] that marry inanimate objects," Kelly said, "I think he wanted to explore [the question] 'can technology become human?' People are so connected to their phones ... and they live with them all the time. They're with them 24 hours a day. They go to sleep with their cell phone. They wake up with their cell phone, sometimes it's the first thing that they check." Chervenak, who drove from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to achieve his goal, took vows to love and cherish the iPhone, using a special case that included a "ring" so that the smartphone was attached to his hand.

It's unclear how long the "marriage" can be expected to last, however. Chervenak is likely to "divorce" his iPhone within a couple of years for a newer model, like some celebrity marriages. In the case of a split, it is not clear who will retain custody of the files, and also unknown if Chervenak sought and obtain the permission of the "father" -- Apple -- before proceeding with the ceremony.

sibeale1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2016, 12:56 PM

C'mon, it's the 21st century, no paternal permission required. Not sure about NV, but some states require a premarital medical screening for venereal diseases, would this extend to malware?

Makosuke
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2016, 02:21 PM

I'm guessing his last girlfriend told him "if you love your phone so much, you should marry it" when they broke up, and he took that advice to heart.

"It's unclear how long the "marriage" can be expected to last, however. Chervenak is likely to "divorce" his iPhone within a couple of years for a newer model, like some celebrity marriages. In the case of a split, it is not clear who will retain custody of the files, and also unknown if Chervenak sought and obtain the permission of the "father" -- Apple -- before proceeding with the ceremony."

That's easily the best thing I'm going to read today.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2016, 02:51 PM

I occasionally write on history (Chesterton on War and Peace), so I can point out that historians love incidents like this one. They encapsulate in one vivid example the culture at a particular time. In the fall of 1914, men joined long lines at military recruitment centers, eager to do their part in a war that they thought would be over by Christmas. If serious, this represents a similar madness, a strange love affair with gadgets rather than king and country.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jun 29, 2016, 03:07 PM

Heh, well everyone seems pushing for 'marriage equality' so why not? I guess we'll have to add another 'I' to the LGBTQQIAAP. Once reason has left the building, I suppose about anything goes.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules