Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lost

Lost (Page 6)
Stradlater
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2005, 11:20 PM

Decent ep. tonight. What did you all think?

I think the character focus is improving this season. I'd missed Kate till last episode, and it's good to see Sawyer is coming back. Shannon was admittedly a weak character, though I was fine with her presence. Locke & Echo-man are forming a nice dichotomy. Etc.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2005, 11:38 PM

Did anyone notice the guy in the video had a glass eye... and they found a glass eye with the book at the other site?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 11:40 PM

Holy crap. Where did all the duplicate posts come from?

I liked this episode, although I was suckered by the previews into thinking that the button wouldn't be pushed in time tonight.

deej5871
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 12:48 AM

Huge spoiler if you didn't see the ep, but I need to ask a question:

Did Michael's (supposed) communication with Walt at the end mean he was breaking the rule of no outside communication or not? Technically it isn't communication with the outside world because Walt has to be on the island (or does he?). Did the clock stop because the computer was being used for communication?

Xi: It isn't exactly a double post if it's the 5th one...

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2005, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by deej5871

Did Michael's (supposed) communication with Walt at the end mean he was breaking the rule of no outside communication or not? Technically it isn't communication with the outside world because Walt has to be on the island (or does he?). Did the clock stop because the computer was being used for communication?
Wasn't that the whole point? Even if it weren't outside communication, the movie specifically said the computer was only supposed to be used to input the code.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
Did anyone notice the guy in the video had a glass eye... and they found a glass eye with the book at the other site?
I didn't notice his eye, but his left arm is a prosthetic.

Good ep: A-
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Wasn't that the whole point? Even if it weren't outside communication, the movie specifically said the computer was only supposed to be used to input the code.
More SPOILER ALERT:

And the film strip splice indicated there was a third bunker, and that if the computer was tampered with there could be a dangerous result like what had occurred before (and I assume this lead to the escape of the animals and monster)... It was a good teaser. Too bad the film strip still looks like a bad After Effects filter over DV footage!
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2005, 11:39 AM

I assumed Walt was at a Starbuck's with an iBook. ;-)

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 12:53 PM

I know... my bad.

Anyone know why Sayid was on the TV in Kate's dad's office?

andi*pandi
Dec 1, 2005, 01:35 PM

was the tv tuned to the news? how far back is the flash back, to the first war? I think Sayyid's time with the army precluded Gulf War II. ??

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon
Anyone know why Sayid was on the TV in Kate's dad's office?
Kate's not-dad works at a recruiting office, and the TV is playing a looping recruitment video. My guess is that the video's using clips of the first Gulf War (GO AMERICA! F*CK YEAH!) and Sayid was filmed as a prisoner.

Coincidence?

dun-Dun-DUN!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 03:34 PM

Ah, good points, andi and scotti.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 03:51 PM

How the frig does that chick know that horse? Makes all seem more likely they are in purgetory or heaven...or their just plain Lost
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2005, 09:11 AM

the horse from when the agent crashed his car and kate drove off. he swerved to miss the horse.

correct?

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by pathogen
More SPOILER ALERT:

And the film strip splice indicated there was a third bunker, and that if the computer was tampered with there could be a dangerous result like what had occurred before (and I assume this lead to the escape of the animals and monster)... It was a good teaser. Too bad the film strip still looks like a bad After Effects filter over DV footage!
I thought their bunker was bunker 3, and obviously the tail enders found another bunker.

About the film strip - there's more to it, did you catch the jump at the end?
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by scottiB
I didn't notice his eye, but his left arm is a prosthetic.

Good ep: A-

OK, this is like the 3 or 4th peripheral character that had some sort of amputation - the farmer that turned Kate in was missing an arm, the wife of the Navy vet that Hurley went to visit was missing a leg, the Korean dude in the film with the eye/arm missing. Am I missing (no pun intended, ok, maybe just a little one) anyone else?
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by RIRedinPA
Am I missing (no pun intended, ok, maybe just a little one) anyone else?
Not from this show, but it just made me think about another "mysterie" TV show:

Phillip Michael Gerard in Twin Peaks

AKA Mike, the one-armed man. A shoe-salesman who also acts as host for Mike, who is a good (reformed) spirit.

Maybe there is a connection somewhere?

Oh, come to think of it, there also was an amputated person on "Invasion"...mmmhmmmmmm

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
the horse from when the agent crashed his car and kate drove off. he swerved to miss the horse.

correct?
About that car accident - air bags only deploy when there is contact with something right, not when you slam on the brakes? They definetely ran into something, a ditch or a pole right? When Kate drives off, there's no air bag and no damage to the car. Minor details but for a show that focuses on the minutae you'd think they'd cover that one.

Also, if Sayid was in GW1 in the Republican Guard he wouldn't have had the same length hair or the beard. A mustache maybe but no beard. Obviously they did that so we'd see Sayid but another attention to detail thingy.

Oh yeah, Kate's not Dad - his combat patch is for Sixth U.S. Army which is weird because the last time the Sixth Army was in combat was during WWII. He obviously would be too young to have served then. But he does have a Korean War Service Medal in the 'fruit salad' on his Class A's. I think they (the producers) wanted him to be in Korea at some point so there could be tie ins between Jin/Sun and the project and him and Kate. I'm not sure why they chose the Sixth, they could have easily gone with 2nd Inf. Div. or 8th Army and been safe. The Sixth was deactivated in 1995 so maybe they played it safe and didn't want any hassles from using an active unit patch? Or another minor attention to detail faux pas.
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
Not from this show, but it just made me think about another "mysterie" TV show:

Phillip Michael Gerard in Twin Peaks

AKA Mike, the one-armed man. A shoe-salesman who also acts as host for Mike, who is a good (reformed) spirit.

Maybe there is a connection somewhere?

Oh, come to think of it, there also was an amputated person on "Invasion"...mmmhmmmmmm
What about the dealer Charlie had interactions with back in England? He had all ten fingers and toes?
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

andi*pandi
Dec 2, 2005, 11:37 AM

scotti, you jogged my memory. In Sayyids flashbacks, he had very short hair and neatly trimmed beard, but in the airport when shannon accused him of being a terrorist with a suspicious bag, his hair was longer. So... the kate flashback may not be that far ago--except how much time elapsed you think between her killing Wayne, and her mom being sick in the hospital? Then how much time for her to get to Australia, work for the farmer for a few months, and get caught again?

I need to watch the first season again.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
scotti, you jogged my memory. In Sayyids flashbacks, he had very short hair and neatly trimmed beard, but in the airport when shannon accused him of being a terrorist with a suspicious bag, his hair was longer. So... the kate flashback may not be that far ago--except how much time elapsed you think between her killing Wayne, and her mom being sick in the hospital? Then how much time for her to get to Australia, work for the farmer for a few months, and get caught again?

I need to watch the first season again.
Sayid's flashback (the interrogation one), could've been anytime between the Gulf Wars, so his hair could've been long while he was in battle in GW I, and then he was neat and clean working as an interrogator in the mid-90s. My non-widescreen capture doesn't show Sayid on TV clearly.

Damn this show, though. TPTB probably just threw it in (like Hurly in Sun and Jin's) and we're here suffering through a timeline.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 02:57 AM

Hey everyone, check out our new podcast at
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dcoon...turniphead.xml

It is fun, spoiler-free, and contains exclusive
discussions and interviews. Feel free to write in
at [email protected]

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 10:10 PM

Dad?

!!!! I love it.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by brapper
Dad?

!!!! I love it.
Yah, but you had to see that one coming a mile away, right?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 11:49 AM

Yeah, but it still rocked.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2005, 10:11 PM

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Yeah, but it still rocked.
Must admit, it was a good ep!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

ChadC
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 02:07 AM

Anyone have any idea why the last two episodes haven't been put on iTunes for download?
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

jonasmac  (op)
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Dec 16, 2005, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Michelle Rodriguez looks like a pit bull. Can't stand her.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by ChadC
Anyone have any idea why the last two episodes haven't been put on iTunes for download?

cause they already have been. The last two have been reruns. There are no new episodes until January

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 10:41 PM

SPOILERS BELOW: It's back... Still on right now.

So is that black thing the thing that's been making noise on the island all this time? And how come Michael hasn't mentioned talking to Walt?

"I start fires!"

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
SPOILERS BELOW: It's back... Still on right now.

So is that black thing the thing that's been making noise on the island all this time? And how come Michael hasn't mentioned talking to Walt?
We've seen the black cloud before, just never that close up. There are some still frames floating around the net already showing what was in the cloud and it looks like mostly scenes from the Nigerian flashbacks.

Michael hasn't mentioned his chats with Walt because the film said not to use the computer to communicate. I don't remember Michael watching the film, but I think we're supposed to assume someone filled him in on it.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 07:53 AM

Michael head the audio while in the other room.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 08:04 AM

I'm trying not to read this thread, because of series 2 talk before I've seeen it, but I watched the end of Series 1 lastnight and Series 2 will start here in the spring. I've seen all of Series 1 and really enjoyed it. Great stuff!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ambush
Banned
Jan 12, 2006, 04:55 PM

latest EP sucked... wtf is that stupid smoke... and it's badly done CGI too!!! omfg... I thought I was wacthing a star-trek grade scifi show. Yuck!

andi*pandi
Jan 16, 2006, 11:51 AM

meh. I liked the echo parts, thought it was about time claire bumped charlie to the curb, he was being annoying. Course that means he's gonna go addict again, yawn.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 12:42 PM

The smoke wasn't very well done CG, but oh well. What can you do?

I don't think that Michael knows that the computer isn't supposed to be used for anything except resetting the counter. I think he doesn't want anyone to find out just because he'd lose his privilege. Someone would say "No stop that..."
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 03:30 AM

Ok I watched that recap episode and the last 2.
Didn't blow my skirt up that much. First NOTHING would survive a plane splitting in two at 40,000 feet, there is no breathable air up there. And don't tell me landing in water softened the blow.

Also, I don't like the way the woman still look hot after being on an island for that long. Have you ever seen most woman straight out of the shower?

Anywho, I'll watch next week but I think the answer is they are just in purgatory and have to answer for their sins. The crack head, the drug dealer etc..

First the children were taken away (because they are innocent perhaps?).

I dunno, next to BSG nothing tickles me.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
Ok I watched that recap episode and the last 2.
Didn't blow my skirt up that much. First NOTHING would survive a plane splitting in two at 40,000 feet, there is no breathable air up there. And don't tell me landing in water softened the blow.
The thing about the series is that a lot of weird unexplainable stuff happens.

Also, I don't like the way the woman still look hot after being on an island for that long. Have you ever seen most woman straight out of the shower?
They have a shower there.

Anywho, I'll watch next week but I think the answer is they are just in purgatory and have to answer for their sins. The crack head, the drug dealer etc..
That's been a prediction since season 1. Seems like a cop-out, but things add up in that direction.

Doesn't make sense, though; I mean even the Catholic Church recently decided to rework religion to eliminate Limbo in order to make Christianity more appealing to populations with high infant death rates (portions of Africa, etc.) -- yes, I guess this is easier than advocating birth control.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 12:25 PM

I think the producers said at one point that they are *not* in purgatory. I read that somewhere, but can't recall where now.

As for the survivability of the crash, one theory is that it didn't really happen, but was staged and the passengers brainwashed somehow. Still, one would think that the survivors would question this, and figure that it's impossible that it happened the way they remember it.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon
Still, one would think that the survivors would question this, and figure that it's impossible that it happened the way they remember it.
A lot of the survivors passingly acknowledge how ridiculous the events are, but mostly they try to keep their minds off it. E.g., how such a small plane made it from Africa to the S. Pacific.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
Yes, they look hot and sweaty, with their hair slicked back and water glistening over their...

Suffice to say, it works.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 12:42 PM

<REALITY CHECK>

It's a farking TV show, people.

</REALITY CHECK>
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
<REALITY CHECK>

It's a farking TV show, people.

</REALITY CHECK>

Phew. Thanks. At first I thought it was my life.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 10:57 PM

"how long do you think it would take to train an army?"

uh oh.

-r.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
They have a shower there.
And a hair and makup crew by the looks of em.

ambush
Banned
Jan 19, 2006, 02:24 PM

do they have enough guns to train an army.

and wtf, soyer isnt soyer??? who is he...?

andi*pandi
Jan 19, 2006, 02:35 PM

sawyer is sawyer. kate was just pointing out that since he was wounded trying to defend walt, people don't think he's as much of a jerk. so he threw out a few jerkish comments to try to allay that.

agreed with SWG that they're very clean, even before they found the shower--the tailaways at least looked more ragged. I do recall the game of golf they played for the last of the deoderant though, so we should be glad the show isn't broadcast in Smell-o-Vision.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
agreed with SWG that they're very clean, even before they found the shower--the tailaways at least looked more ragged. I do recall the game of golf they played for the last of the deoderant though, so we should be glad the show isn't broadcast in Smell-o-Vision.
Something as small as that really takes the realism away for me. I mean look at BattleStar, they have showers but everyone still comments on how they smell, are sweaty, the clothes are dirty etc.

These people would have major burns, split lips, skinny and sickly looking after a month.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 03:46 PM

Skinny and sickly? The island is full of fruit, the sea is full of fish, they've shown there are boar on the island, the bunker has supplies enough for a long time, etc.

Do we really need a show about how often they take craps and whizz?

Forum Links
Forum Rules