Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HELP 10.3.3 update killed my powerbook

HELP 10.3.3 update killed my powerbook
|GM|
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 04:25 PM

I ran software update two nights ago, my powerbook crashed as the update was optimizing the system. Now it will not boot beyond the the point when it says "login window starting". I have ran disk utility, disk warrior and fsck. It is a tigig so I can boot in os9 fine, but when I go to select a start up disk in 9 the osx start up disk still says 10.3.2. Any ideas?

Thanks

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 04:42 PM

archive & install seems to be the only thing to do....

|GM|  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 05:06 PM

I was trying to avoid that, but I am starting to think that is the only solution.

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by |GM|:
I ran software update two nights ago, my powerbook crashed as the update was optimizing the system. Now it will not boot beyond the the point when it says "login window starting". I have ran disk utility, disk warrior and fsck. It is a tigig so I can boot in os9 fine, but when I go to select a start up disk in 9 the osx start up disk still says 10.3.2. Any ideas?

Thanks
If it crashed during optimization you could try running update_prebinding while booted into single user mode.

command-s at boot
fsck -yf at the prompt
mount -rw / (check the boot output for the exact command)
update_prebinding -root /

No guarantees that it'll fix the problem but worth a shot.
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

|GM|  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 06:33 PM

that sounds a little out of my league, but I will try anything, That will install the update again?

Thanks

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by |GM|:
that sounds a little out of my league, but I will try anything, That will install the update again?

Thanks
That will repair the disk, and do the "optimization" phase again.
It's mount -uw / (and not -rw)

|GM|  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 07:55 PM

I am going to give it a shot, thanks.

|GM|  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 08:06 PM

I tried that and it did not work. I probably did not do it right. Oh well, thanks for the help.

Gary Finley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2004, 12:15 AM

I ran into this today with a colleague's 15" Powerbook at work. We fixed it by re-installing the 10.3 BSD core code. This just required booting from the Panther (10.3) CD, which you can do by inserting the CD and holding down the C key while powering up the machine. We had to use the 'Archive and Install' mode, and when we got to the 'Installation Type' part of the process we picked Custom Install, and selected to install only the BSD core code module.

After the installation was complete, the machine went back to booting OK. The problem seems to be with loginwindow.app in 10.3.3 on Powerbooks.

When Apple releases a fixed 10.3.3, you can just install the new BSD core code over the 10.3 core and have a full 10.3.3 release again.
Gary Finley
Director of Networking
Netera Alliance Inc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules