Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Clicking Problems w/ Intellimouse Explorer

Clicking Problems w/ Intellimouse Explorer
emil
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2003, 02:11 PM

Lately my intellimouse explorer has been doing double clicks when i single click sometimes; it tends to happen more in Safari, Mail.app, and other applications other than the finder, though I can't say for sure that it's not happening everywhere. My co worker, who has the same mouse and jaguar as well, says she is having the same problem. Is anyone else experiencing this? It only started in the last couple of weeks.. maybe i need panther

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2003, 04:29 PM

... and I have Panther. In fact, this behavior began after installing Panther. It affects only Safari and only the forward and back buttons on the mouse. Haven't seen the same problem with the left and right mouse buttons

</knock on wood>

triangle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 05:50 PM

Also noted this problem. I think it has something to do with fast user switching (2 accounts active?!)

derbs
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 07:07 PM

I've had this problem, and it's the mouse I think! Is the explorer the silver one with the 2 thumb buttons on the side?

Anyway i've had a couple of those, and one beige one, and the left mouse button switch has either been broken out of the box, or broken a couple of weeks later. If you gently press the button down, without actually clicking it, it will randomly just fire clicks off, like there's a bad contact in there.

When i returned my third one to the store, the guy said a lot get returned with the same problem.

The Mick
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 01:24 AM

What I've noticed is the mouse "misses" clicks in Safari. Doesn't happen anywhere else. Not sure what is the cause, thinking about a Logitech mouse anyway.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by emil:
Lately my intellimouse explorer has been doing double clicks when i single click sometimes; it tends to happen more in Safari, Mail.app, and other applications other than the finder, though I can't say for sure that it's not happening everywhere. My co worker, who has the same mouse and jaguar as well, says she is having the same problem. Is anyone else experiencing this? It only started in the last couple of weeks.. maybe i need panther
My IntelliMouse Optical was having the same behavior in Jaguar. It was the mouse. I tried it on a WinXP computer and it had the same problem.

Microsoft has 5 year guarantees on all their mice so just call their technical support and they can replace your mouse free of charge.

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by The Mick:
What I've noticed is the mouse "misses" clicks in Safari. Doesn't happen anywhere else. Not sure what is the cause, thinking about a Logitech mouse anyway.
yes me too. I have a feeling it is usb-overdrive
Do you run that?

I'm using the Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical and in Safari i always have to click a second time to get a link to work. It is like the first click never registers.

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Groovy:
yes me too. I have a feeling it is usb-overdrive
Do you run that?

I'm using the Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical and in Safari i always have to click a second time to get a link to work. It is like the first click never registers.
I see similar and I use the MS drivers. So it's something else.
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by BatmanPPC:
I see similar and I use the MS drivers. So it's something else.
the M$ drivers ARE usboverdrive.

just a different name and few changes to make M$ happy.

yukon
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 02:47 AM

i'm having the EXACT problem! this is new, never happened before panther. I thought it was the mouse, and was about to return it this week (the original intellimouse optical had a lifetime guarantee, btw).

I installed USBOverdrive, but found it lacked some abilities, and expose didn't need it, so i uninstalled it (including the kext), so it might not be USBO. This is not a problem with the "double clicking speed" prefrence, and don't try to fix it (it doesn't help)

i noticed it click three times on one click. i also noticed that if i push down on the furthest part of the button, it seem to click once....maybe it is the mouse...
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

zacharydz
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 01:08 PM

After installing Panther, my intellimouse Optical mouse was behaving very oddly. When I single clicked, would do multiple clicks (even after changing the double-clicking preferences). I had the same problem when I used the MS 5.0 drivers, USBoverdrive, and just standard MacOS drivers. I had it attacked to the Apple Pro keyboard (and that was attached to a 4-port USB hub). I remember hearing that in windows that MS mice did not function as reliably when plugged into hubs. So now I plugged the mouse directly into my computers USB port. The mouse behavior isn't as good as it was in 10.1 and 10.2, but it's alot better.
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2003, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by The Mick:
I too experience this exact same problem! It only seems to happen in Safari, so I assumed that the problem was the browser. I find that I often have to click 2 or 3 times on a link to get it to "register". Not all the time ... more like 30-40% of the time. It's not a show stopper, but it is rather annoying.

OAW

Membranophonist
Dec 16, 2003, 03:31 AM

I too have the double-click problem with an Intellimouse Optical on machines running 10.3 without third-party mouse drivers.

My Apple Pro optical mouse is working fine...

gheff
Dec 16, 2003, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Membranophonist:
I too have the double-click problem with an Intellimouse Optical on machines running 10.3 without third-party mouse drivers.

My Apple Pro optical mouse is working fine...
I was having a similar problem with it registering 2 clicks instead of 1. I was using Panther and the 5.0 driver from MS. I swapped out the mouse with another of the same model that we happened to have lying around the house, and the problem went away. Perhaps an issue with tolerances. The replacement mouse is perhaps a bit less broken in. Maybe the switch is less mushy and is travelling farther with the newer mouse.

I didn't see the problem under 10.2, but it should be noted that I was running Jag on an old G3 and I'm running Panther on a G5.

Dec 16, 2003, 08:52 PM

same deal. odd that it would show up right after Panther for everyone. i doubt the mice were designed by Microsoft to randomly crap out the first week of November.

i get double-clicks in Safari causing it to minimize... missed clicks where i have to hover off the Safari button and go back and try again.

double-clicks in the Finder causing minimized windows and stuff opening when i want to just select.

double-clicking in Entourage causing messages to *open* instead of just how in the preview window...

all in all... it is very annoying and it started in Panther. my logitech is fine. and the trackpad is fine. all the macallys in the office seem to be fine. but the 2 Intellimouses are acting funky.

kingskel
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 02:11 PM

I also have this problem - any solutions as yet? I thought 10.3.2 might fix it, but it hasn't seemed to.

Safari 1.1.1
latest Pith Helmet
Intellimouse Explorer
latest USB Overdrive
FP imac G4 800mhz

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
I too experience this exact same problem! It only seems to happen in Safari, so I assumed that the problem was the browser. I find that I often have to click 2 or 3 times on a link to get it to "register". Not all the time ... more like 30-40% of the time. It's not a show stopper, but it is rather annoying.

OAW
One more thing. I only seem to get this behavior on my iBook. The IntelliMouse Explorer and Safari seem to play nice on my flat panel iMac.

Anyone have any idea how to get Safari and the IntelliMouse to play well together? If not, is anyone experiencing this problem with a Logitech or Kensington mouse? While I really like my MS mouse, I will ditch it in favor of another brand in order to get around this problem.

OAW

The Mick
Senior User
Jan 9, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
One more thing. I only seem to get this behavior on my iBook. The IntelliMouse Explorer and Safari seem to play nice on my flat panel iMac.

Anyone have any idea how to get Safari and the IntelliMouse to play well together? If not, is anyone experiencing this problem with a Logitech or Kensington mouse? While I really like my MS mouse, I will ditch it in favor of another brand in order to get around this problem.

OAW
I switched to a Logitech MX500 optical and use the Logitech drivers. I've never had a problem since.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

proton
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 07:51 AM

It is a well known problem of the MS IntelliMouse that it can start registering single clicks as double clicks. I had one that started registering single clicks as double clicks shortly after I received my PowerMac G5, and I was convinced for a while that it was the G5.

In the end I plugged the mouse into a friend's Windows PC and found that it had exactly the same problem. His IntelliMouse worked perfectly on the G5. My mouse is being replaced under warranty and it should be all good.

It's almost certainly not a driver problem you're having, but a problem with the mouse.

- proton

yukon
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 03:26 AM

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I can update.

The problem is the actual button itself, the thing you press is the "activator" that pushes a tiny button that clicks. Somewhere around 1999 it seems that the mouse making companies went with a cheaper button, that sometimes registers false positives. It's especially annoying with the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, it doesn't seem to be in the original Intellimouse Explorer, it's even in Logitech mice but it seems they don't do that until years of use.

I've gotten a replacement, the Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 to stop the quadruple clicking. Unfortunatly, it has another problem, it doesn't register clicks if you push down closer to the mouse body. If you have one, try it, click anywhere behind the wheel, it won't register, it'll make it's noise, but it won't actually do anything unless you really force it down. This is driving me mad, it makes the computer feel so slow and unresponsive (because it isn't responding at all).

I'm getting so fed up with it, I'm getting ready to phone MS again, but they'd just send me another 4.0. I'd buy logitech, but they're expensive and eventually get the same problems. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking I should start soldering in the parts from an old Apple Uniball ADB mouse or something, I've got stacks of those and they still work.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Chaeo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 09:13 PM

I'm an XP user and came across this thread via Google. I have two Intellimouse Optical's - one up/downstairs. I swapped them over recently since one started to show this double click behaviour, now a few months later the other is doing the same. Fortunately I'm in a position to buy another. My mother also has a mouse of this type and it's not yet exhibiting the same irritation, I have tried it on both of my PC's. It's a shame as well, because my original old-style mice were always thrown away due to ball/tracking problems, I never seemed to have hassle with the buttons. The IMouse has been perfect in that regard. I assume Mac users have the software to assign certain events to each mouse button? I've assigned a regular click to the wheel-button. Or you could use a re-assigned side-button. Well annoying though!

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by yukon
Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I can update.

The problem is the actual button itself, the thing you press is the "activator" that pushes a tiny button that clicks. Somewhere around 1999 it seems that the mouse making companies went with a cheaper button, that sometimes registers false positives. It's especially annoying with the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, it doesn't seem to be in the original Intellimouse Explorer, it's even in Logitech mice but it seems they don't do that until years of use.

I've gotten a replacement, the Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 to stop the quadruple clicking. Unfortunatly, it has another problem, it doesn't register clicks if you push down closer to the mouse body. If you have one, try it, click anywhere behind the wheel, it won't register, it'll make it's noise, but it won't actually do anything unless you really force it down. This is driving me mad, it makes the computer feel so slow and unresponsive (because it isn't responding at all).

I'm getting so fed up with it, I'm getting ready to phone MS again, but they'd just send me another 4.0. I'd buy logitech, but they're expensive and eventually get the same problems. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking I should start soldering in the parts from an old Apple Uniball ADB mouse or something, I've got stacks of those and they still work.

except most of us only have the problem in safari and not more click but click not getting
registered. Oh and I repeat only in Safari for me and only on links on a web page. The
menus at top of screen work fine etc...

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chaeo
I'm an XP user and came across this thread via Google. I have two Intellimouse Optical's - one up/downstairs. I swapped them over recently since one started to show this double click behaviour, now a few months later the other is doing the same. Fortunately I'm in a position to buy another. My mother also has a mouse of this type and it's not yet exhibiting the same irritation, I have tried it on both of my PC's. It's a shame as well, because my original old-style mice were always thrown away due to ball/tracking problems, I never seemed to have hassle with the buttons. The IMouse has been perfect in that regard. I assume Mac users have the software to assign certain events to each mouse button? I've assigned a regular click to the wheel-button. Or you could use a re-assigned side-button. Well annoying though!
your problem is due to the cheap switches used in the Intellimouse Optical. They go bad
after about 1 year for me so that you get double click when you only want a single click and/or
if you hold the button down it will release when you do not want it to like when making a
selection box in photoshop or a one in the finder when selecting say a bunch of file icons.

Now I use the same mouse so about 1 year ago i just bought 6 of them on Sale for $9 each.
When the left button goes bad on two of them I then open them both up and pull the right
click switch from one and solder it into the left click side of the other since it is the left click
button that goes bad due to it being used 95% of time.

I have have 4 new ones left and my macs and PC all now are using swapped switch mice,
which works great.

However, the problem in Sarfari remains and only Safari. I click on a link (even the arrow has
turned to a hand) and it doesn't register. It takes 2 or 3 clicks for Safari to get it and load
the link. If is definently a Safari problem.

allblue
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2005, 06:44 AM

I have a MS Intellimouse and run 10.3.9 and experience similar problems. Specifically, a single left button click registering as a double click, an irritation when the window I am opening becomes active for just an instant before sitting back as non-active (Finder if no other windows open). This happens most, but not all of the time. Also, when trying to edit file names in list or tree view the single click to highlight the text opens the file window. I have developed a kind of technique of very gently just slowly touching the button and trying to coax it into just doing the one click.... it does work sometimes! In Safari the mouse appears to 'die' ie click on the toolbar and nothing happens at all until you click on the window first, which seems to 're-activate- the mouse. This happens consistently in Safari (v1.3). When this mouse breaks (my previous MS mouse did after about two years) I will definitely be trying the Logitech option...

michael127
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 02:28 PM

So I got a new G5 tower with Tiger, installed the intellipoint drivers, and now, my mouse (gray with 2 buttons on top, 2 buttons on side + wheel) software in the control panels does not recognize the 2 side buttons? This worked fine in Jaguar, panther, but its like the driver does not recognize the 2 side buttons which I had programmed! Anyone know a fix around this?
H2O Polo ;)

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by allblue
I have a MS Intellimouse and run 10.3.9 and experience similar problems. Specifically, a single left button click registering as a double click, an irritation when the window I am opening becomes active for just an instant before sitting back as non-active (Finder if no other windows open). This happens most, but not all of the time. Also, when trying to edit file names in list or tree view the single click to highlight the text opens the file window. I have developed a kind of technique of very gently just slowly touching the button and trying to coax it into just doing the one click.... it does work sometimes! In Safari the mouse appears to 'die' ie click on the toolbar and nothing happens at all until you click on the window first, which seems to 're-activate- the mouse. This happens consistently in Safari (v1.3). When this mouse breaks (my previous MS mouse did after about two years) I will definitely be trying the Logitech option...
yeah a beat switch. The cheap fix is to open and flip flop the right and left switches
since you hardly ever right click the right switch will be good still. Then when this other switch
fails time to get a new mouse (unless you have an old one you can pull another right switch from)

Logictech switches are better but they go after couple of years too. We have many of theirs
at work. At home I use the Intellimouse Optical cause you can buy it new for $9 to $14 and it
is cake to swap switches and for such a great price even the year i get out of one before
I swap switches is well worth it.

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by michael127
So I got a new G5 tower with Tiger, installed the intellipoint drivers, and now, my mouse (gray with 2 buttons on top, 2 buttons on side + wheel) software in the control panels does not recognize the 2 side buttons? This worked fine in Jaguar, panther, but its like the driver does not recognize the 2 side buttons which I had programmed! Anyone know a fix around this?
intellipoint drivers are just usboverdrive drivers with a few changes and nothing much more.

I would use the usboverdrive driver since it is newer and has tiger fixes which I do not
think have made it into the intellipoint version yet. Last version i tried was
5.1 intellipoint (dated 11/11/2004) They are crappy in tiger. So if there is nothing
newer, that is the problem.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2005, 10:32 PM

..and I thought I was going crazy.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2005, 12:09 AM

I have just got a new 5-button intellimouse after my old 3-button left click started to not register left-clicks properly after about 2.5 years. I sometimes had the double click problem but it's the way you click the mouse. It's hard to describe how to click but it happens very rarely with me and I know when I've done it.

So far I've been using no drivers at all but now I have a 5-button, I think I'm going to use usboverdrive to program the two extra buttons. Not sure what I'd use them for though. I just find them handy in games.

byerh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2005, 11:37 AM

I also have the silver Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 with horizontal scrolling. I am running Intellipoint 5.20.413.0 Nice features and very comfortable to hold but in less than a year the mouse click behavior is erratic and it misses clicks about 2 thirds of the time. I was getting to the point that I had to double (or triple) click (slowly) in order to invoke a desired single click. I have found this not to be a software or driver issue at all. Simply installing a new Microsoft Optical Mouse Blue (simple two button mouse) all problems have vanished. (I edited the Intellipoint settings and indicated that an 'Optical Mouse' was now attached - not the explorer 4.0 mouse) Don't think this is software or driver related, just get a new mouse.

allblue
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2005, 03:33 PM

A tip I picked up that has been very useful with this mouse - set the scroll wheel button to the 'double-clik' option (instead of the auto-scroll default).This works pefectly and so I never have to actually double click the left button any nore.

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by allblue
A tip I picked up that has been very useful with this mouse - set the scroll wheel button to the 'double-clik' option (instead of the auto-scroll default).This works pefectly and so I never have to actually double click the left button any nore.
but then you lose a button. Me i use the scroll button to do other stuff per app. Adobe apps
i have it set to option-click. MT-newswatcher i have it set to SPACE bar press etc...

Besides a feel a double click should really be a double click

Forum Links
Forum Rules