Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > IBM on PowerPC 970FX chip, and Dell's new gaming notebook - G5 Notebook coming soon?

IBM on PowerPC 970FX chip, and Dell's new gaming notebook - G5 Notebook coming soon?
brewskij
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 04:20 AM

from reuters, http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=4351019

NEW YORK (Reuters) - International Business Machines Corp. (IBM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Friday that it has started using a new method of manufacturing to make microprocessors that consume less power.
IBM, based in Armonk, New York, said that it was using the method, which combines three existing technologies used in chip manufacturing, to build its PowerPC 970FX microprocessor in its new East Fishkill, New York plant.

After a slow start, IBM has been ramping up production at the chip plant. The current version of the PowerPC 970FX chip, the 970, is used by IBM in some of its computers as well as Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) in its Xserve G5 computer server.

With the new manufacturing process, the 64-bit chip, which can process vast amounts of computer memory compared with a standard 32-bit chip, can either run at faster speeds or use less power, said Richard Doherty, research director at Envisioneering.

Given the chip's reduced need for power, which means longer battery life, Apple may consider it for use in a notebook computer for gaming enthusiasts, Doherty said.

"It's logical that Apple would select the flexibility of this chip for a next-generation notebook computer," Doherty said.

The manufacturing process uses high-performance chip-making technologies including silicon-on-insulator, strained silicon and copper wiring and is based on a 90-nanometer chip making process. A nanometer is one-billionth of a meter.

That technology that shrinks the circuitry of the chip to make the 970FX, making it easier to put more transistors on a chip and increasing performance.

its logical, but when will it happen?

also Dell is coming out with a gaming Inspiron notebook... looks pretty beefy/potent... Apple needs to come out with their G5 notebook soon to once again eclipse the competition...

BrewSkij

Additional technical information for the Inspiron XPS

Intel� Pentium 4 and Pentium 4 Extreme Edition both at 3.4GHz
512MB to 2GB DDR RAM at 400MHz
UXGA UltraSharp(tm) Wide Aspect Display (15.4-inch)
ATI MOBILITY(tm) RADEON(tm) 9700 128MB
10/100/1000 Ethernet(a), integrated 56K(b) v.92 capable modem
Optional integrated Wi-Fi (802.11b/g or 802.11a/b/g) and BlueTooth capability
DVD+RW/+R(c)
Choice of Hard Drives: 60GB (7200 RPM), 80GB (5400 RPM)
Integrated subwoofer
Ports include four USB 2.0, one S-Video Out, one IEEE 1394 port and integrated DVI port
One PC Card slot
96-watt Hour Lithium Ion battery
Optional second hard drive and floppy disk drive
Included choice of 1 QuickSnap(tm) Color Kit cover
Exclusive XPS backpack

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by brewskij:
Additional technical information for the Inspiron XPS

Intel� Pentium 4 and Pentium 4 Extreme Edition both at 3.4GHz
512MB to 2GB DDR RAM at 400MHz
UXGA UltraSharp(tm) Wide Aspect Display (15.4-inch)
ATI MOBILITY(tm) RADEON(tm) 9700 128MB
10/100/1000 Ethernet(a), integrated 56K(b) v.92 capable modem
Optional integrated Wi-Fi (802.11b/g or 802.11a/b/g) and BlueTooth capability
DVD+RW/+R(c)
Choice of Hard Drives: 60GB (7200 RPM), 80GB (5400 RPM)
Integrated subwoofer
Ports include four USB 2.0, one S-Video Out, one IEEE 1394 port and integrated DVI port
One PC Card slot
96-watt Hour Lithium Ion battery
Optional second hard drive and floppy disk drive
Included choice of 1 QuickSnap(tm) Color Kit cover
Exclusive XPS backpack
Could you post some link about the new Dell Inspiron?

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 10:53 AM

Here you go...

"Clicky"

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
Here you go...

"Clicky"
Ah, thanks!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 12:01 PM

Bi@tching graphics card. But weighs 10lbs.

I want G5 Powerbook 2Ghz, 128MBs graphics, 7200RPM drive in an Alu17 with no weight gain.

justinf77
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 12:02 PM

That might just be the ugliest notebook I have ever seen.

PowerBook 15" 1.25 Ghz, 80 GB 5400 RPM HD, 768 MB RAM, OS 10.3.3

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by justinf77:
That might just be the ugliest notebook I have ever seen.

Dells are blocky but they are very solid and pleasant to use despite the OS on them. My first laptop was a Dell which used to belong to a secret service agent - it was bullet proof.

toshigen
Feb 13, 2004, 12:15 PM

Very ugly, and 2 inches thick:

Height: 2.0 inch (50.8 mm)

and you get a FREE XPS backpack so everyone knows you're running around with an expensive laptop just waiting to be stolen.

Graphics card and 800MHz frontside bus is nice though.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 12:20 PM

Wow, very impressive specs on that Dell, and if used in a LAN setting, it'd fit perfectly. Granted it's not a mobile computer, it's a mobile desktop. But what surprised me MOST about this Dell is the addition of DVI-out...for a long time Apple has held the sole laptops w/ DVI-out, and now Dell is breaking into the "pro" scene but adding it to their new XPS laptop. It'll probably slide down into the other Inspirions soon.

I do hope this news about new 2.5Ghz G5 chips leads to a G5 PowerBook sooner than later...the PowerBook is quickly becoming how the G3 iBook was in regards to everything else out around it.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2004, 01:23 PM

Apple needs to put a G5 in a notebook to compete in the gaming market?

Face it: mac gaming is really silly. Even PC gaming is sketchy when consoles are as popular as they are. Computer games are associated with dudes with poor hygene sitting in their rooms to all hours of the night trying to frag people over the internet. A stigma Apple is wise to stear clear of.

Macs are machines that are made and used to do actual work. Apple laptops are the only ones out there that are realistic video editing solutions. They will put a G5 in a notebook for that reason, but not until they can get it cool enough, maintain a reasonable battery life, and brobably fit it into an enclosure as thin as the ones they've been using. G5 powerbooks are going to happen, but they aren't going to push it. Dell's laptop is not an option for people who need real portability. It is an option for 1337 pimply teens who go lan parties and sleep on the floor in sleeping bags next to a bunch of other nerds. Apple's PowerBooks are for creative professionals who need to do real work and want their machine to stay out of their way while they're doing it.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 01:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
[B]Apple needs to put a G5 in a notebook to compete in the gaming market?

Face it: mac gaming is really silly. Even PC gaming is sketchy when consoles are as popular as they are. Computer games are associated with dudes with poor hygene sitting in their rooms to all hours of the night trying to frag people over the internet. A stigma Apple is wise to stear clear of.

PC gaming is sketchy? WTF? You obviously don't have a clue. PC games have the most titles, most users, and are often ported to consoles a year after the initial PC release. You can't find titles like WarCraft 3, Rise of Nations, IL-2, Combat Mission, or Call of Duty on a console. Console games and PC games offer two different types of experiences. Perhaps you have been living under a rock since YOU are making the PC/poor hygene association. At one point console gaming was associtated with geeks, now it is mainstream. PC gaming is also mainstream, look at Counter-Strike and the thousands of "cool" kids that play it.

Don't post dumb @ss comments when you obviously don't know anything about the subject matter. I'm really tired of people who have a snob like attitude when it comes to Apple computers. It is a freaking COMPUTER. In many people's mind, you are a geek/nerd/dork for posting on a message board about a computer. Get a life.
( Last edited by dantley; Feb 13, 2004 at 02:50 PM. )

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:

You're really living in a different world. You shoulod be exposed to modern man-boy culture:

-Lan parties
-Coffee, bear and weed
-The coolest latest fashion wear
-A girlfriend or wife who loves your boyhood lifestyle
-Children you can play games with
-Loads of money and a creative job
-Never having to let go of your youth

BTW, the Hollywood Gold is awesome:

http://www.go-l.com/news/product_new...nchorhollywood

mrgaskell
Senior User
Feb 13, 2004, 02:06 PM

Oh, reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyyy...
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2004, 02:10 PM

Sorry, it's true. People do buy PCs to do gaming, and there is such a thing as a gaming laptops. No Mac laptop in existence truly would qualify as a gaming laptop. Hell, there are not that many games anyway for the Mac side for this purpose.

That said, the article posted above is gobbledygook.

A) It's a 64-bit chip, but Mac OS X is 32-bit. There are still memory limitations.
B) Who's gonna put say 8 GB in a laptop at this point anyways? HOW would you put 8 GB in a laptop? (To be fair that's not what the original analyst said exactly, but that's the way the article seems to be trying to spin it.)
C) Apple is not interested in a real "gaming" laptop. See reasons above. Apple needs a G5 for a laptop for speed in general. It will help somewhat gaming, but that's besides the point.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:

Macs are machines that are made and used to do actual work. Apple laptops are the only ones out there that are realistic video editing solutions. They will put a G5 in a notebook for that reason, but not until they can get it cool enough, maintain a reasonable battery life, and brobably fit it into an enclosure as thin as the ones they've been using. G5 powerbooks are going to happen, but they aren't going to push it. Dell's laptop is not an option for people who need real portability. It is an option for 1337 pimply teens who go lan parties and sleep on the floor in sleeping bags next to a bunch of other nerds. Apple's PowerBooks are for creative professionals who need to do real work and want their machine to stay out of their way while they're doing it.
One of the most disgusting and stereotypically biased posts I've ever seen.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Sorry, it's true. People do buy PCs to do gaming, and there is such a thing as a gaming laptops. No Mac laptop in existence truly would qualify as a gaming laptop. Hell, there are not that many games anyway for the Mac side for this purpose.

That said, the article posted above is gobbledygook.

A) It's a 64-bit chip, but Mac OS X is 32-bit. There are still memory limitations.
B) Who's gonna put say 8 GB in a laptop at this point anyways? HOW would you put 8 GB in a laptop? (To be fair that's not what the original analyst said exactly, but that's the way the article seems to be trying to spin it.)
C) Apple is not interested in a real "gaming" laptop. See reasons above. Apple needs a G5 for a laptop for speed in general. It will help somewhat gaming, but that's besides the point.
Whether Apple makes a PowerBook for gaming or not isn't the point. I don't want a PowerBook tailored to gaming, that would be stupid. I want a PowerBook that gets at LEAST $1200 PC laptop performance in games.

NOTE: Apple advertises Quake3 framerates... so they do this because it isn't important? Or do they realize that some people equate sh*tty gaming performance to sh*tty computing performance?

I'm in my 20s, a college student, have the cash to buy a PowerBook and prefer one over a PC laptop. Given that, I do want to play Unreal Tournament 2004 on my PowerBook AND use Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc.

Some of you guys must think that there is only one type of PowerBook user. That person must be a boring jack@ss who posts messages filled with stereotypes and idiocy and only uses a computer for "productivity". Get real. If a computer sucks at gaming, which is the most CPU/GPU task a mainstream user will engage in, then it is subpar performance-wise.

I love my AlBook, but it is a lame duck with games and Maya. None of the 3D modelers I know at Electronic Arts will touch a PowerBook for work related tasks because of the poor 3D performance.
( Last edited by dantley; Feb 13, 2004 at 03:03 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2004, 04:03 PM

A laptop that can do some mild gaming in a pinch is not a "gaming laptop" in my definition. Indeed, Apple has never made a real gaming laptop and I don't see it happening any time soon.

Your 3D modeler friends at EA are smart not to get PowerBooks for their work. Not only is the 3D performance sub-par, there is a dearth of 3D software for the Mac too.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 04:29 PM

A laptop that can do some mild gaming in a pinch is not a "gaming laptop" in my definition. Indeed, Apple has never made a real gaming laptop and I don't see it happening any time soon.

Your 3D modeler friends at EA are smart not to get PowerBooks for their work. Not only is the 3D performance sub-par, there is a dearth of 3D software for the Mac too.
I hate you.

galaga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 04:39 PM

The facts as I see them...

Macs are pretty good for games in the sense that a high-end mac is perfectly capable of running all but the latest games at a fairly respectable speed.

Macs are not good for games in the sense that they still tend to be the last platform the games are ported to, if at all. The user base is obviously much smaller which means that there are far fewer players to play with/against online, since many online games are set up so as to disallow mac-pc interaction.

Peecees are great for games and have been for some time. There was a time when console gaming pi$$ed all over pc gaming. But pc gaming really evolved fast and finally came into it's own with the advent of online play. Having said that, now that consoles have gone all online-tastic, it's much more difficult to call. An Xbox will get you online and addicted to Halo for a lot less cash than the latest turbo-nutter gaming pc. But then again, you can't run all the latest mods, update the hardware the same way etc. etc. It's horses for courses really.

Gaming itself has ostensibly gone mainstream. There is no two ways about it. Witness girls (wow) playing games, thirty-somethings playing games; the list goes on...
This is reflected in the games being played. Would you have guessed ten years ago that people would be jumping around on dance mats, tending to virtual dolls' houses (The Sims), or running original arcade versions on a computer via emulation? The games industry now grosses more annually than Hollywood and the average game still costs a fraction of the money to make than the average Hollywood film. There now exists a whole new breed of casual gamers who consider playing a game as good a way to spend two hours as watching a film or reading a book. The hardcore gamer is still there but is now much more difficult to identify on the basis that he quite possibly might be a she, might be a father approaching middle age or might be a Pakistani accountant. The cliche of a gamer being a pale-skinned, pimply adolescent male with no social skill is precisely that- a worn-out cliche. These people probably do exist but are now matched in equal numbers by people so diverse that they become just another type of gamer. Everyone is a geek now. And the world (gaming or otherwise) is a richer place for it.

Just my 2p worth.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 04:57 PM

For some unknown reason, this post has migrated into "Why doesn't Apple make a gaming notebook"? Um, I think that's not the issue here...we're just comtemplating the possibility of a G5-based PowerBook in the near/distane future, and obviously the newest graphics card (9700 Pro Mobile at the moment) would come w/ it, making it a pretty decent gaming notebook. The reason current PowerBook aren't that good at gaming is b/c it's got a relatively ancient chip in it...here in the days of 3Ghz+ CPUs, the G4 is way old news, and Apple needs to implant the G5 in a notebook as fast as possible while not adding weight/bulk.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 04:59 PM

I never said that the PowerBook is a gaming laptop. Nor did I say Apple should make the PowerBook into a gaming laptop.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
For some unknown reason, this post has migrated into "Why doesn't Apple make a gaming notebook"? Um, I think that's not the issue here...we're just comtemplating the possibility of a G5-based PowerBook in the near/distane future, and obviously the newest graphics card (9700 Pro Mobile at the moment) would come w/ it, making it a pretty decent gaming notebook. The reason current PowerBook aren't that good at gaming is b/c it's got a relatively ancient chip in it...here in the days of 3Ghz+ CPUs, the G4 is way old news, and Apple needs to implant the G5 in a notebook as fast as possible while not adding weight/bulk.
I agree.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 05:08 PM

A G5 Powerbook will be the first computer I would be willing to go into debt for. Especially if it was using a 2.5 Ghz G5.

I think I'm going to have to spring for an iBook for now though, since I don't think the powerbooks are a particularly good value. If G5 powerbooks come out sooner than expected (say 3 or 4 months), I could most likely get 80% of my money back on the iBook.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 05:16 PM

I don't agree that the PowerBooks aren't a good value. My AlBook G4 is plenty fast for everything but games. The G5 won't even help in that department. My Dual 2ghz G5 sucks when it comes to gaming performance.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by dantley:
My Dual 2ghz G5 sucks when it comes to gaming performance.
Look at this the other way around: it's not the G5 that sucks in games, but the games that suck on the G5 and generally on the Mac. Most of them, are simply (often poor) ports of popular PC games written for the x86 architecture. If we had games heavily optimized for PPC and Altivec, then the Mac game landscape would be completely different.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 07:10 PM

^^ Good point.

mattyd
Senior User
Feb 13, 2004, 07:16 PM

that machine is hideous. and how about this...

"Wide-Aspect 15.4" UltraSharpTM WUXGA LCD, the largest available notebook display size"

uhhh... maybe i'm misunderstanding but isn't the powerbook 17" two inches bigger?

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by mattyd:
that machine is hideous. and how about this...

"Wide-Aspect 15.4" UltraSharpTM WUXGA LCD, the largest available notebook display size"

uhhh... maybe i'm misunderstanding but isn't the powerbook 17" two inches bigger?
Resolution, my friend. Display means how many pixels are 'displayed'.

mattyd
Senior User
Feb 13, 2004, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Resolution, my friend. Display means how many pixels are 'displayed'.
hmmm... i guess. but when i think display size i think physical measurement. resolution is a different matter (and, in fact, they mention the resolution seperately from the display "size").

also, those desktop images, errr... wallpaper, look decidedly panther-esque.

p.s. your sig made me laugh.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 07:47 PM

BTW, how much more intensive will Quartz be on hardware in future versions of OSX?

There's the argument for fast CPUs and the best GPUs right there. Otherwise we get the same headache all over again 'Apple dropped support for my machine!', 'My machine runs like **** now. I'm moving to Longhorn!', 'What do you mean I need more than 64MBs VRAM?!'

galaga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 10:01 PM

Okay, so I was getting off topic. But the point is if you use a Mac it should be pretty much good enough for your gaming needs in the sense that for most Mac users, gaming is usually of secondary concern. If you're really into games, you can get what you want cheaper elsewhere. Apple will never make a gaming computer because they don't want to. Or need to. Why should they? But if you want to play games on a Mac you can. But it's always going to be a second rate option in that category. A G5 isn't going to change that.

brewskij  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 11:06 PM

I want a Mac for being able to get into the multimedia world... for the ease that it seems to be able to do things (per my readings), for the rock solid OS/X based on the sturdy/been around since the 70s Unix OS, for the lack of worms/viruses... I am not a gamer on my PC... the current PowerBook G4 1.25 MHz will most likely satisfy my needs for quite awhile/years...

have a great weekend,
BrewSkij

pdot
Senior User
Feb 14, 2004, 01:18 AM

I think I read off The Register (I know, it is The Register) that the 90nm 970FX's are about half the wattage of the ones currently used in the G5 towers. If this is true, then I think a 2 GHz PB isn't that far off. Maybe by June/July.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2004, 01:21 AM

Just what we need. A g5 powerbook that needs a special backpack to carry around.

Maybe apple will be smart and give it wheels.
Aloha

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 14, 2004, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by pdot:
I think I read off The Register (I know, it is The Register) that the 90nm 970FX's are about half the wattage of the ones currently used in the G5 towers. If this is true, then I think a 2 GHz PB isn't that far off. Maybe by June/July.
The typical power of a 2.0 GHz PPC 970FX is roughly half of the typical power of a 2.0 GHz PPC 970 130 nm.

However, both are far too hot for Apple to use in a laptop, unless Apple starts doing the crotch-burner thing like companies do with AMD Athlon 64 gamer notebooks and the like.

I'd say a G5 1.6 is more reasonable, unless IBM and Apple have another chip up their sleeve.

brewskij  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2004, 03:03 AM

I went ahead and ordered (from Apple store - via phone) a PB 15" ALU, w. APP, Quicken, MS Office, and .MAC... looking forward to learning tons about OS/X, getting it to network with my Win XP Pro PC (to transfer files, etc)...

I am sure that since I bought the current PB model, the newest G5 model will be announced sometime soon... always seems to work out that way...

but, I am VERY happy to finally, after doing tons of research on the Internet - getting into the MacWorld...

have a great Mac kinda Presidents Day Weekend!!,
BrewSjij

s0litude
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2004, 02:30 PM

I use my powerbook to do various tasks like programming, web design, email, and of course ilife... All very useful stuff, and once in a while, warcraft 3 on it, however i found a very efficient and cheap solution to make gaming easier for the mac user. Not only does it cost under 250 dollars for the upgrade, but this also helps the average mac user gain performance that blows away your most powerful PC on the market:

CLICKY FOR THE UPGRADE OPTION

Enjoy!!
By the way, I think the Hollywood Gold site, its a hoax, the computers are not real, emachines i know makes a laptop that looks like that however.
Hi!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2004, 02:30 PM

Check out this article: IBM is quoted as saying that the 970FX is good for notebooks.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 07:29 PM

Check out this article: IBM is quoted as saying that the 970FX is good for notebooks.
Nice catch Eug. Now, the question is when these processors will be available for/used by Apple "en masse"...

masugu
Senior User
Feb 15, 2004, 07:48 PM

I am sure Apple is testing this chips as we speak...In terms of time-to-market? I'll SWAG 6 months.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2004, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
I use my powerbook to do various tasks like programming, web design, email, and of course ilife... All very useful stuff, and once in a while, warcraft 3 on it, however i found a very efficient and cheap solution to make gaming easier for the mac user. Not only does it cost under 250 dollars for the upgrade, but this also helps the average mac user gain performance that blows away your most powerful PC on the market:

CLICKY FOR THE UPGRADE OPTION

Enjoy!!
By the way, I think the Hollywood Gold site, its a hoax, the computers are not real, emachines i know makes a laptop that looks like that however.
What ever dude. First of all, the Xbox is not faster than a high end pc. Secondly, how in the h*ll are you going to play WarCraft 3 on the Xbox?

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2004, 09:55 PM

A whee 733mhz celeron kicking a 3.4ghz P4's butt?

HAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Nah ah. Aint happening.

The day apple releases a 9lb laptop that is 2" thick is the day I eat my hat.
Aloha

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 15, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
[B]You're really living in a different world. You shoulod be exposed to modern man-boy culture:

-Lan parties
original text deleted - my sarcasm detector was broken tonight
( Last edited by fizzlemynizzle; Feb 15, 2004 at 11:05 PM. )

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 15, 2004, 10:56 PM

One of the most disgusting and stereotypically biased posts I've ever seen.
And largely accurate. There's truth in every stereotype.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2004, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by dantley:
What ever dude. First of all, the Xbox is not faster than a high end pc. Secondly, how in the h*ll are you going to play WarCraft 3 on the Xbox?
You're gonna tell me that a pc performs better than xbox when it comes to playing video games?? You're crazy. Second of all, no, i use my apple to play war 3. Counterstrike, crimson skies, and whatever game else, i play on xbox. The point i was trying to make is if you want a platform that plays great games, why don't you just buy a gaming system? If you want a great laptop, then buy an apple.
Hi!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2004, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by s0litude:
You're gonna tell me that a pc performs better than xbox when it comes to playing video games?? You're crazy. Second of all, no, i use my apple to play war 3. Counterstrike, crimson skies, and whatever game else, i play on xbox. The point i was trying to make is if you want a platform that plays great games, why don't you just buy a gaming system? If you want a great laptop, then buy an apple.
Not crazy at all. I'd agree that in general, a high-end PC is a better gaming platform than an Xbox, although this is not always true, and of course there's the issue of a high end PC gaming system costing almost 10X as much as an Xbox.

That's why gaming PC systems are still so popular, despite the cost and the fact that we have GameCube, PS2, and Xbox consoles out there already.

Sorry, but a Celeron 733 Xbox simply cannot compete with a P4 3 GHz with Radeon 9800 Pro.

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2004, 06:53 AM

Well I for one would much rather have a �150 PS2 (or Xbox) to play games on than some �1000 PC. Why..?

1. I don't have room for a flippin' great computer on my desk.
2. I don't have �1000.
3. I can sit on the sofa and play PS2.
4. I want my games to work without endless tweaking, installing, pathching, connecting, errors, upgrading and modding. I bought an ethernet adaptor for my PS2 the other week, shoved a patch cable in the back of my router and IT WORKED! How often does this ever happen in the world of computing?

And this is why I'm ditching the PC soon, and going Mac. I just don't have the time on my hands to sod about with drivers etc etc etc...

hayesk
Feb 16, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Fozz_uk:
I bought an ethernet adaptor for my PS2 the other week, shoved a patch cable in the back of my router and IT WORKED! How often does this ever happen in the world of computing?
If you have a Mac, it happens all the time.

And this is why I'm ditching the PC soon, and going Mac. I just don't have the time on my hands to sod about with drivers etc etc etc...
Ah... I see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules