Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External Hard Drive Woes

External Hard Drive Woes
idyll
Senior User
Oct 2, 2007, 05:13 PM

my external hard drive was working fine last night when i was watching a movie that was on it but when there were about 10 minutes left to go it suddenly stopped.

now my hard drive does not appear under "my computer" any more in windows xp, nor does it appear in disk management.

when i connect it to my mac it tells me that the disk cannot be read and i have several options (initialize / eject / etc.)... it shows up in disk utility and tells me that it is unformatted.

i purchased drive genius and made a duplicate copy of the hard drive. whenever i try to open the .dmg file, it tells me that the image file failed to mount because there are no mountable file systems? what does that mean?

if i try to format it in disk utility i get a input/output error.

if i try to format it in drive genius nothing happens.

when i tried to scan it for hardware problems in drive genius all of the blocks that were scanned were bad blocks.

what are my options? is the .dmg image i made usable?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2007, 07:37 PM

Well, it could be the enclosure, or the drive. First, you need to figure out which is faulty - can you swap the drive to another enclosure?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2007, 07:55 PM

When I had my failed partition attempt recently, I go the same "cannot read" message with the "initialize" option.

I chose initialize, but, then erased the drive. It was actually empty anyway, as you erase everything from a drive you partition.

Do you own Disc Warrior?

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Oct 2, 2007, 10:12 PM

Yep, tried DiskWarrior.. The hard drive does not show up AT ALL in DiskWarrior. What to do?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2007, 12:00 PM

Check the enclosure first.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2007, 12:16 PM

I'm starting to think it is the enclosure, unfortunately I do not have another enclosure I could try or a computer I could just drop the hard drive in to. I may consider buying a new enclosure

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2007, 12:20 PM

If you take it to a local Mac shop, they might have an enclosure lying around that they can put the drive into for you and let you know if it's dead or not.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules