Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Compatible wireless repeaters

Compatible wireless repeaters
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2012, 11:06 AM

I'm helping a family member improve their wifi signal in their condo however I am not too familiar with wireless repeaters.

I need to extend the signal of their wifi and I originally was going to run cable and wire at least one access point but the construction of the property makes this option quite a hassle.

the plan is to use a wireless repeater to extend the signal coming from a D-Link DI-634m 108G MIMO router. my question is, do I need to get a wireless repeater that is also 108G MIMO? I was going to try to stay within the D-Link brand in an attempt to make the two pieces of hardware as friendly as possible, but is this necessary? the router is B/G so does that rule out any repeater that has N or can I just disable N and have it run on B/G without a hitch?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2012, 02:42 PM

An N repeater will work just fine, probably just at G speeds.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2012, 10:00 PM

well, ended up trying to go the powerline adapter route- what a hassle! not from the hardware though; they worked perfectly when they were on the same circuit but I literally had it plugged in one outlet on the wall and it worked perfect. walked around to the other side of the wall, plugged into another outlet and the dang thing did not work.

returned purchase and got an extender. works well, however there is no option to change the channel: it defaults to the channel of the SSID it is extending....

in my experience, and at my own home, I have all three access points on channels 1, 6, and 11 and I get near seamless routing. oh well, I seriously doubt they will be as attentive to detail on their network as I am

Forum Links
Forum Rules