Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone repair/warranty

iPhone repair/warranty
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2012, 03:01 PM

Question about iPhone repair...if I buy an iPhone from an individual online, does the Apple warranty transfer over or no? If it does, any way to check on whether the warranty is still valid? I bought an iPhone from a guy on HardForums and it works nicely except the power button on the top seems a little "loose" and the home button seems slightly unresponsive (I find myself tapping it twice to make it work sometimes). Not major issues, but nuisances I'd like to get fixed.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2012, 03:14 PM

To answer your direct question, yes the original warranty transfers over. HOWEVER, you have to be a bit concerned that the warranty could have been voided.

My first iPhone was a 3GS I got off eBay a year and a half ago. It seemed to be in decent condition at first. Only problem was the Home button was a bit unresponsive. Seemed okay initially, but then I had to press harder, then twice. Soon thereafter it stopped functioning at all. Took it to my Apple Store and the kindly Genius inspected it. He said one of the water damage indicators got tripped but not the other and speculated that it could have been water damaged with a replaced screen. He recommended that I complain on eBay, but right when I thought I was going home with a screwed iPhone, he said he'd replace it for me. So it worked out, and I don't want to scare you, but I do want to prepare you for the possibility that there could be a warranty issue since there potentially was with my original used iPhone.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2012, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I'm pretty confident that it isn't any type of accidental damage like that...he was a solid seller (200+ positive feedback and zero negative feedback on Heatware, been on Hardforums for 8 years).

Is there anywhere I can type in the serial number and check the warranty status to see if it is still covered?
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2012, 11:08 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules