Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Buying a short bus

Buying a short bus
residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2006, 08:46 PM

I will be buying a short bus in a few months and wondered if anyone here knows what I should expect when I gut the thing? Purpose is for tailgating and NASCAR (no comments from the peanut gallery). After removing the seats/subfloor to get to the base shell, can I just start rebuilding from there or will the frame/shell need work?

Also, I plan on having removalable seating/handrail on the roof for NASCAR; will the roof as is support 4 people/chairs/beer/grill? (i'm guessing 2500lbs on the roof total, spread out over the entire roof plus the moving around). I don't have welding/metal tools so will be doing convention construction inside (fold away beds, cabinets, seating area, electrical system to be powered by a generator, etc).

TheUnmember
Baninated
Jan 31, 2006, 08:52 PM

are cars going in circles really this fun?!??!! Seriously dude. You should come with us to a rally race next year. I promise you will never car what car is in front of 50 other cars constantly turning left ever again.

This looks sweet:

BTW... there's a book on customizing vans at my local library. I can probably get the ISBN for you, but it had a lot of neat ideas.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2006, 08:56 PM

I've been to/enjoyed many styles of racing.

As for NASCAR weekends; you just have to do it once, and you will be hooked. While I won't use this for MIS weekends, as I have club seats in the new Champions Club, I will be using it for trips to Daytona, Dover and Pocono in 2007 and 2008. the infield/camping experience combines St. Pats in chicago and Mardi Gras in new orleans (both i've done many many times); all concentrated into 4 long drunk/orgy filled days

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
I will be buying a short bus in a few months and wondered if anyone here knows what I should expect when I gut the thing? Purpose is for tailgating and NASCAR (no comments from the peanut gallery). After removing the seats/subfloor to get to the base shell, can I just start rebuilding from there or will the frame/shell need work?

Also, I plan on having removalable seating/handrail on the roof for NASCAR; will the roof as is support 4 people/chairs/beer/grill? (i'm guessing 2500lbs on the roof total, spread out over the entire roof plus the moving around). I don't have welding/metal tools so will be doing convention construction inside (fold away beds, cabinets, seating area, electrical system to be powered by a generator, etc).
Do you already have the specific vehicle targeted? How much is your budget? Would you consider used or do you want new? Will you use it for ANYTHING other than tailgaiting? Will you have one vehicle for just the tailgaiting supplies and facilities and another for people and entertaining? What is your idea of tailgaiting, beer & brats or white wine and shrimp?

Details, please.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2006, 09:27 PM

Local school auction. Went last year to 'watch and learn'. The two they sold, used obviously, were both 5 years old. One went for $2400, one went for $2200. Seriously.

The bus will be used for both activities; changed over for each 'season'. Football tailgaiting only overlaps with NASCAR by a few months; and non of the weekends for my use will overlap with those using it for tailgaiting.

Anything and everything will go on as far as food and drinks. We might go all ****ed up and do something like this with it: www.furbus.com

I was on one for a wedding once. What a hoot!

TheUnmember
Baninated
Jan 31, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
I've been to/enjoyed many styles of racing.

As for NASCAR weekends; you just have to do it once, and you will be hooked. While I won't use this for MIS weekends, as I have club seats in the new Champions Club, I will be using it for trips to Daytona, Dover and Pocono in 2007 and 2008. the infield/camping experience combines St. Pats in chicago and Mardi Gras in new orleans (both i've done many many times); all concentrated into 4 long drunk/orgy filled days
Nascar orgies? You have just scarred me for life.

But no, it wouldn't change me. This summer I went to a busch car race that I had 'ins' for since I helped setup the fancy pants trailer. Right next to the track, stadium seating on the roof... it was awful. I still don't understand how people are infatuated with watching cars drive around in circles. The only time it was remotely exciting was when they almost crashed.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2006, 10:40 PM

Where do you go NASCARing? There used to be some great racing in Southeastern Michigan-I can still hear the cars at the Flat Rock Speedway near where I grew up...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 1, 2006, 12:31 AM

You do realize these buses ride like a chuck wagon on a rocky road when on a flat road.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
You do realize these buses ride like a chuck wagon on a rocky road when on a flat road.

Of course, that is part of the fun.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Where do you go NASCARing? There used to be some great racing in Southeastern Michigan-I can still hear the cars at the Flat Rock Speedway near where I grew up...

I visit MIS and Dover yearly for Nextel/Busch/ARCA/Craftsman racing. I grew up watching 1/4 mile oval racing near my home town too. Only been to Flat Rock once; i should make it a point to get back there.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 08:52 AM

You're going to have retarded and handicapped people flagging you down all day long.

I know. Not very politically correct.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
You're going to have retarded and handicapped people flagging you down all day long.

I know. Not very politically correct.

hahaha, awesome! i'll paint 'Tard Bus on the side

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 09:11 AM

Durrrrr! Let's go to McDonalds!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 10:39 AM

$2400? Now I want one.

I wish I lived in Detroit.

Wait, what the hell am I saying!?

But having the short bus would be awesome. I'd turn it in to a fake high tech ghostbusting/alien detection/mystery machine. I would be the bomb.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500
$2400? Now I want one.

I wish I lived in Detroit.

Wait, what the hell am I saying!?

But having the short bus would be awesome. I'd turn it in to a fake high tech ghostbusting/alien detection/mystery machine. I would be the bomb.

School auctions are great; you can get things so dirt cheap if you have your eyes open/know what to look for. I can't guarantee there will be any at that price this time, but I'm ready if they are. My neighbor works for them and lets me know ahead of time what will be on the auction block. He got some office furniture last year, nearly brand new (desk, chair, credenza, lateral file, etc) to redo his home office... $75.

Forum Links
Forum Rules