Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mouse problems

mouse problems
gregfripp
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2014, 10:45 AM

i have started to have mouse problems
it won't point as it used to and just seems much more 'wooly'
tried mouse apps with no change
a new mouse is just as bad
it seems to be getting worse
your help needed
greg

gregfripp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2014, 04:20 AM

it now won't even pick up log in s!
please help me

P
Jun 5, 2014, 05:46 AM

It's very hard to help without some details. Is it a wired or wireless mouse? Have you tried cleaning it? Replacing batteries if it is wireless? Do you have any other input devices - a trackpad on a laptop, perhaps - that might be registering inputs that are intefering with regular mouse operation.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gregfripp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2014, 10:01 AM

a wired one
cleaned it
replaced battery
no others interfering
tried most things...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2014, 10:18 AM

You have a wired mouse that requires batteries.

Ah yes.

gregfripp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2014, 10:25 AM

i have checked the batteries, they are fine
unfortunately

Electronic Gadgets Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2014, 10:51 AM

Have you checked the cable to make sure it hasn't been trapped or bent at some point?

gregfripp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2014, 10:53 AM

i will check the cable

akent35
Banned
Jun 5, 2014, 12:09 PM

What machine are you using it on? What OS? What brand of mouse? Are you connecting the mouse to the machine via a USB port? If so, try using another USB port. You did initially say, though, that a new mouse is just as bad. If that one is connected via USB, try using it with another USB port. Hopefully, using another USB port will help. If not, you could try both the old and new mouse on another machine, and if they work, then unfortunately you have an issue with the USB port/ports on your machine.
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 5, 2014 at 01:18 PM. )

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2014, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
What brand of mouse?
That would really be quite interesting since I never heard of a wired mouse with batteries!
(and I am not the only one in this thread)

Did you change ANYTHING when the problem started? Like a new desk with a structured surface maybe? Do you have a mousepad?

gregfripp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2014, 06:05 AM

i usefully use a wired mouse plugged into my KEyboad uSB
i will try a machine port
greg

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2014, 09:04 AM

Which mouse? It has batteries AND a USB cable?

gregfripp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2014, 09:15 AM

my favourite mouse has a usb cable
it is a logitech
ok?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2014, 10:45 AM

Nope. Which Logitech mouse? They've made many dozens.

But: did this start after a system update? Logitech drivers can be really crappy sometimes and cause incompatibilities. Check the Logitech site for the most recent drivers for your mouse.

gregfripp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2014, 10:59 AM

i will check
thanks or your help

akent35
Banned
Jun 6, 2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by gregfripp View Post
my favourite mouse has a usb cable
it is a logitech
ok?
What about the new mouse you tried? What brand was it, and was it wired (with a battery?) or wireless?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2014, 11:58 AM

I am still confused by the fact that you (Greg) never seem to answer the relevant questions that people are asking.

You have a mouse that requires both a cable and batteries? Which mouse is this?
I have never heard of any such mouse, and neither have some others here, so if it's something so out of the ordinary, there might be something out of the ordinary wrong here.

akent35
Banned
Jun 6, 2014, 01:23 PM

Greg,

Spheric Harlot is very, very accurate with his post. If you have a mouse that is wired, it has to connect to a USB port, either on your keyboard, the computer yourself, or to a USB Hub. Such a mouse does not require batteries, as it obtains its' power from the device (keyboard, computer, or hub) it is connected to.

A wireless mouse does not have a cord extending from it. Instead, a receiver attaches to a USB port (again, keyboard, computer, or USB hub) and transmits the information to the mouse itself. In that case, the mouse must have a battery (or in some cases, batteries).

So, as Spheric Harlot (and others) have so correctly stated, you need to provide accurate, detailed information. Tell us the exact model of your mouse, the exact model of the computer you have, the exact model of the keyboard you have, and the exact version of the Mac OS you are using. Additionally, it will help if you let us know the exact model of the new mouse you tried.

Based on the limited information you supplied, I myself, so far, see three possibilities:

1. The mouse is defective, and needs to be replaced (probably the least likely one, as you said you tried a new mouse with the same results).

2. If you recently migrated to, or do an upgrade of, Mac OS 10.whatever, as Spheric Holic said, that could cause issues with the drivers for the mouse. This is the next likely issue, although once again, you have the same issues with a new mouse. That is also why we need to know the model of the new mouse.

3. The USB port you are connecting the mouse to is having issues. This could be the leading culprit, as it could also explain why the same problems arose with both the old and new mouse. It si also why I suggested trying another USB port.

We need details!

gregfripp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2014, 07:11 AM

i have a logitech m3158e mouse
i have reloaded its driver and it helped but did not cure
i now have it connected directly to my recent imac
anything else that you need?
i apologise for seeming not to directly answer your valid questions
my system os is 10.9.4

gregfripp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2014, 07:34 AM

whilst checking to my mouse problem, i found that i still have two other mouse add ons left under system preferences which i am finding difficult to remove
they are zoom and steer mouse
would getting rid of them help if i knew how?
apologies again

P
Jun 10, 2014, 11:20 AM

Yes, those extensions are most likely part of the problem.

Steermouse has uninstall instructions here:

SteerMouse - Support

The other name I don't recognize. Is it just called "zoom"?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

akent35
Banned
Jun 10, 2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gregfripp View Post
i have a logitech m3158e mouse
i have reloaded its driver and it helped but did not cure
i now have it connected directly to my recent imac
anything else that you need?
i apologise for seeming not to directly answer your valid questions
my system os is 10.9.4
First of all, I just did a google search of "Logitech m3158e mouse", and nothing came up. Are you sure that is the correct model number? Also, what is the make and model of the other mouse you used?

Secondly, OS 10.9.4 is in beta now. Did you have such issues with OS 10.9.3? If not, then maybe Logitech (and the makers of SteerMouse and Zoom) will come out with updates once OS 10.9.4 is released permanently.

Speaking of SteerMouse (never heard of such a product), did you notice that they released a new version (4.1.9), on May 28th? Did you install that?

Similarly, like P, I've never heard of a product called "Zoom". Do you have the latest version of it installed?

I myself have been using Logitech mice for a number of years, and never had any issues. Of course, I do not use any other software like you do for my mice, but I always install the updated drivers whenever Logitech releases them. Finally, I rarely, if ever, use beta versions of software, especially upgrades to the OS. There are just too many unknowns out there with betas. Plus, after final releases, companies will (for the most part) come out pretty quickly with updates (if needed).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2014, 07:27 PM

If you are really running 10.9.4, please don't bother us until you've updated to a public release build. These kinds of issues are expected from betas and if you cannot deal with them, you have no business whatsoever running beta software.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2014, 11:42 PM

Methinks the OP has a keyboard problem too.

farhadd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2014, 05:46 PM

I think we simply have a troll on our hands here. No need to continue feeding him. Greg, take everything to an Apple store, or buy a new mouse.

Apple Store, Princesshay
24 Princesshay
Exeter, Devon EX1 1GE
United Kingdom

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2014, 08:32 PM

Greg is not a troll. He's just very, very clueless.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Greg is not a troll. He's just very, very clueless.
My personal theory is that greg and jeff k are twin brothers.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2014, 05:03 AM

The difference is that while Greg avoids following any suggestions that might allow you to help him, Jeff actively *refuses* to do so, and grows really petulant and pissy when you repeat yourself.

Might still both be besson experimenting with different personae, though.

Wasn't he the Yorkshire Rapper (the troll who claimed a disc had given his CD player a virus)?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2014, 06:53 AM

In any case, running an unreleased version of the OS kinda makes "troubles" sort of expected, right? So yes, it sounds like an issue, but firstly it's with an unreleased OS and second we still don't know what mice are both wireless AND plugged in... (There are a few that will do both, but which one does Greg have - if any?)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

akent35
Banned
Jun 14, 2014, 11:50 AM

Exactly, ghporter. We all have tried to get pertinent information form him, but to no avail. And yes, running an unreleased or beta version of the OS is just asking for trouble. Even with the last beta, the OS can be fine, but third party applications still could have issues without any updates being released. I certainly avoid them.

As for the mouse, he did supply a ?model number?, but as I stated, I could not find it.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2014, 08:01 AM

Well, a Logitech m315 does exist (but not m3158e) and it's wireless, not wired!
I am pretty sure though, that wired + batteries does NOT exist, so we'll never get an answer that might make sense!

I am just surprised that Greg seems to be very clueless on the one side but knows how to get and install 10.9.4 on the other!?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
I am just surprised that Greg seems to be very clueless on the one side but knows how to get and install 10.9.4 on the other!?
Oh, this has been going on since the early days of OS X. The people I've encountered running betas are either tech-savvy and curious (usually professionally curious, i.e. developers or support techs), or utterly clueless as to why it might not be a good idea.

akent35
Banned
Jun 16, 2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Well, a Logitech m315 does exist (but not m3158e) and it's wireless, not wired!
I am pretty sure though, that wired + batteries does NOT exist, so we'll never get an answer that might make sense!

Thanks for the correction on the model number (assuming that is the one Greg has). That would have helped.

As for testing 10.9.4, I consider myself somewhat "tech savvy", but nowhere near enough to even try and attempt to test almost all beta software (I did recently participate in testing the beta update of Tech Tool Pro, but fortunately, others had already tested it, and in a similar environment to my situation, so I felt it would be OK. I also had a very recent backup for both of my machines). But especially in the case of an upcoming OS releases, I definitely steer clear of any such testing. I guess if I had a spare machine that I could afford any "down" time, then I would try it. But, that's not my situation. And, it looks like Greg was testing a somewhat early beta release of 10.9.4. That's even more reason to stay away!
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 16, 2014 at 12:55 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2014, 06:23 PM

We don't know this. It might have been a typo, or really just Besson trolling us.

His silence is deafening.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 17, 2014, 07:17 AM

You noticed that too?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2014, 11:41 AM

It did coincide with my telling him to get lost if he was running a beta OS...

akent35
Banned
Jun 17, 2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
We don't know this. It might have been a typo, or really just Besson trolling us.

His silence is deafening.
Yeah, I was just "assuming" (more like hoping) that the model number was actually an m315.

Trolls? Man, that would be the pits. I guess just another individual exhibiting "Stupid is as stupid does".
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 17, 2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added Model Comment)

Forum Links
Forum Rules