Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New iPads

New iPads (Page 2)
mindwaves
Apr 10, 2019, 05:07 PM

Quite happy with my iPad mini cellular, although I'm only using Wifi now. Wish that the design had been updated a bit, but works with all covers, so that is a benefit. Very snappy (tm) and more portable than my iPad Pro 10.5" ever is.

P
Apr 11, 2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
If flash prices fell, I'd agree with much of that. But an 8TB HD costs ~$200, while a similar-sized SSD runs over $1200. Anything bigger is not readily available in SSDs.

If you want storage, you need 3.5" hard drives. As those have hit density issues, they're limited to 14TB each (16TB announced, but not shipping). So that means RAID arrays. The best price-per-TB is in the 8-10TB range today.

I doubt TB3 can power a 5-drive external 3.5" cage, and it certainly needs at least one fan. Probably a 2nd for the power supply. If you need more than one drive cage, double the fan count. And you need eSATA if you want SMART to be readable. Last I heard, USB does not pass SMART data.
Flash storage prices are too high right now because of a cartel, but they're dropping fast now that the cartel has been revealed. If you need more than 14TB then sure, that will likely be expensive - but it is not a general use case.

USB-C can deliver 100W. In practice they're limited to something lower by the actual power supply of the computer you're using - my MBP has a 61W PSU, so it isn't going to be supplying 100W through any port - by USB-C isn't the limitation. Some quick math shows that 100W is enough for 5-bay 3.5"1, assuming it supports staggered spin-up of the drives.

Thunderbolt certainly supports passing SMART data (you put your entire SATA controller in the device, and using PCIe to it). USB apparently does support it for modern controllers, if you install the correct drivers for smartmontools.

I'm not sure why you'd be against internal drive options or PCIe slots. Even if you do not use them personally, they increase options for all owners. They are to our collective benefit, allowing deferred purchase of newer computers. The added design cost to Apple is minimal compared to our collective savings. There are environmental benefits too, as e-waste recycling is often messy.
I'm not opposed to them - I'm not arguing that Apple should remove them as a matter of policy. I'm showing that they're not absolutely essential today, they way they were in years past. There was a day when internal drives were plain better, but they aren't anymore. eSATA is completely dead - both TB3 and USB (with UAS) are better. There was a day when internal slots were plain better for things like network cards, audio cards, more ports, but that is no longer the case. USB 3 is good enough in many cases, and TB3 is good enough for everything. Internal slots are better for exactly one thing - GPUs - and even that is changing.

This is a good thing! For years the expansion options for Macs have been limited because the market is so small, only the tiny sliver that is Mac Pros. Now with Thunderbolt 3, the market is all Macs except the smaller Macbook and Macbook Airs. That is a benefit for everyone - Mac Pro owners because they will get more options, and iMac and MBP owners who can now expand their computers at all.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2019, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Mount? Pics? Wife's next car will have CarPlay. But my old car just uses an Android tablet since the ECU monitoring app is Android-only.
Wanted to say, I haven’t forgotten about posting a pic, I just haven’t gone anywhere that’s needed it since the request. I don’t really need GPS in the city (grid system FTW), and I actually like Chicago radio for whatever reason, so I only put the Mini in on longer trips.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2019, 10:27 AM

Literally the first time I’ve needed to use it since photos were asked for.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 30, 2019, 11:20 AM

Any issues with it creating a blind spot?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2019, 05:55 PM

Not the way I drive, but people call me “grandma” for how upright I put the seat and close to the steering wheel I sit. With a more relaxed stance, I could see it starting to get into the field of view.

Forum Links
Forum Rules