Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone go from a Powerbook G4 to the Macbook Air?

Anyone go from a Powerbook G4 to the Macbook Air?
asodamiac
Senior User
Feb 29, 2008, 12:45 AM

I'll be getting an iMac sometime this summer (waiting for the next revision and a free iPod and printer ) and was also looking to upgrade my laptop. I've had my 15" Powerbook G4 for about 3 years now and while it's my main, all-around machine, it's starting to feel real sluggish. The iMac will handle the "intense" applications such as photoshop, and the Air would be used while on campus and traveling.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone moved from Powerbook G4 to a Macbook Air. Did you see any performance gains? I won't be doing anything graphic intensive on the Air. Simply web browsing, Microsoft Office '08, iTunes, and maybe some of the apps from iLife.

How does iMovie '08 run on the Air? Also, is the image quality of an external display reduced when using the mini-DVI adaptor? I have a Dell 2408WFP to use as my main monitor.

Thanks!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 01:00 AM

I'm thinking about it. But the new MBP looks sweet too.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Feb 29, 2008, 01:09 AM

Yeah, just up until recently, I thought I would never pay $1699 (student discount) for the Air, but seeing as I'll have an iMac to do the grunt work, an "ultra-portable" is starting to look mighty fine at this point. It's either the Air or a Macbook, but while the Macbooks look nice, I'm more attracted to an aluminum outer case. My Powerbook still looks relatively new (albeit a few small scratches) and it's been 3 years! My friend's Macbook's look like they've been through the mill and most are less than a year old.
Dell 2408WFP

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 03:34 AM

The MBA is excellent as a second Mac for the road if you don't require FW.

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
Anyways, I was wondering if anyone moved from Powerbook G4 to a Macbook Air. Did you see any performance gains? I won't be doing anything graphic intensive on the Air. Simply web browsing, Microsoft Office '08, iTunes, and maybe some of the apps from iLife.
Performance should be fine compared to your PB. HDD performance will probably be a tad worse, but otherwise the MBA should do fine. In terms of raw CPU power even at 1.6 GHz its two cores will do very well compared to what you're used to on the PB. You could go to a local Apple Store and try it out. Browse some of your frequently visited sites, bring along and play with some Office documents. That'll give you a feeling for the MBA's performance.

Also, is the image quality of an external display reduced when using the mini-DVI adaptor?
No. The micro-DVI is basically a physically shrunk down DVI-D. Signal quality will be just fine.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 29, 2008 at 03:43 AM. )

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Feb 29, 2008, 05:03 AM

Cool, thanks Simon! That was very helpful!
Dell 2408WFP

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 29, 2008, 06:38 AM

Hey there,

Someone in our office just went from the 17" G4 to the Macbook Air. Pure Bliss.

Light is just a concept until you actually have to carry your laptop somewhere... now its a fact that makes every moment on the road better.

Can't speak to the HDD performance much, since we opted for the solid state drive.

Firewire and optical drive are both slightly missed, but that will depend on you. We decided to live with USB backups and got the MBA external drive.

Looks and feel are just orgasmic. You will work with a constant smile.

jjahshik32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2008, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
I'll be getting an iMac sometime this summer (waiting for the next revision and a free iPod and printer ) and was also looking to upgrade my laptop. I've had my 15" Powerbook G4 for about 3 years now and while it's my main, all-around machine, it's starting to feel real sluggish. The iMac will handle the "intense" applications such as photoshop, and the Air would be used while on campus and traveling.

How does iMovie '08 run on the Air? Also, is the image quality of an external display reduced when using the mini-DVI adaptor? I have a Dell 2408WFP to use as my main monitor.

Thanks!
Even if your getting an imac, might as well just pay $200 more and get the 2.4ghz penryn mbp, a much much MUCH better buy.
*15" Macbook pro sr 2.4ghz (led) 4gb ram, hitachi 7k200*
*Mac Pro 2.8ghz 8 core, 16gb RAM (transintl), Raptor 10k 150gb, 23" ACD*

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2008, 02:36 AM

That would be a little redundant for me. I've been going over the price differences a lot, but with an iMac to take care of the bulk of my work (which is basically just photo editing, very little video editing, and the occasional game now and then), I won't be needing such a powerful portable.

Had I been shooting with a digital SLR still, I would probably opt out for the MBP, but since I've been shooting film only for the past few months, there's no need for such a machine.

Still, I'm debating if I should go with the Air or a Macbook. The $1699 price tag is a little high for me, but man, the Air looks gorgeous!
Dell 2408WFP

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2008, 05:22 AM

How about the Air with a 23" monitor?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2008, 11:35 AM

I'm heavily considering ordering an Air for myself to replace my 12" G4. The lack of storage and lack of FireWire however is going to be hard for me to overcome. I can't decide.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
How about the Air with a 23" monitor?
While the S-IPS panel in the ACD's would definitely be nice for viewing webpages and photo editing, but I opted out for the Dell 2408WFP due to connectivity and the faster S-PVA panel (though not quite as nice as an IPS!). I wish the Air could replace my Powerbook and use it as a single system, but I really do need the FW connectivity and a more powerful machine as well.
Dell 2408WFP

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I'm heavily considering ordering an Air for myself to replace my 12" G4. The lack of storage and lack of FireWire however is going to be hard for me to overcome. I can't decide.
If I were replacing my 15" G4 with an Air and use the Air as a single machine, I would have my own reservations as well. But I feel like the iMac can handle the bulk of my photo editing/gaming needs while the Air be used as portable system.
Dell 2408WFP

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 11:12 AM

Why do you want two machines? Unless the air is really calling to you, why don't you get rid of the iMac and just get an MBP for everything?

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 2, 2008, 02:27 PM

I travel maybe twice or three times a year and a lighter system would be nice.

Also while traveling, I usually travel with 15-20 pounds of photo gear, and having the Air would shave down the weight a bit (hey, every pound adds up!).

The MBP is always an option, but I've always wanted a desktop. That, and having an iMac would boost my screen real estate from a single 24" external display and 15" Powerbook display to dual 24's
Dell 2408WFP

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 06:06 PM

Sounds good.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2008, 06:26 PM

I'm in the exact same situation.

I have been using a 15" PowerBook (with external 22" display) for the past 4 years and have a budget to buy new computer gear for college this summer.

I can either get a loaded MacBook Pro, or a stock 20" iMac and an Air.

For most of the day I can get by with just internet access on campus, which the Air would be perfect for. I can always use services like Back To My Mac if I need to access all of my data hooked up to the iMac on FireWire drives. I also would love to not have to dock the MPB and undock it every day like I have been doing with the PowerBook.

The only two things that have given me pause is that if I want to do any really heavy lifting, having two only moderately powerful computers compared to a single decked-out MBP could slow things down. I might be underestimating the iMacs though. The second thing is that I have in the past liked having the PowerBook for doing audio work on location and I like having FireWire, and optical drive, and audio inputs with me at all times.

I also haven't been impressed with the battery life reviews the Air has gotten. Has that changed anyone's decision?

jaydon34
Senior User
Mar 2, 2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
I'm in the exact same situation.

I have been using a 15" PowerBook (with external 22" display) for the past 4 years and have a budget to buy new computer gear for college this summer.

I can either get a loaded MacBook Pro, or a stock 20" iMac and an Air.

For most of the day I can get by with just internet access on campus, which the Air would be perfect for. I can always use services like Back To My Mac if I need to access all of my data hooked up to the iMac on FireWire drives. I also would love to not have to dock the MPB and undock it every day like I have been doing with the PowerBook.

The only two things that have given me pause is that if I want to do any really heavy lifting, having two only moderately powerful computers compared to a single decked-out MBP could slow things down. I might be underestimating the iMacs though. The second thing is that I have in the past liked having the PowerBook for doing audio work on location and I like having FireWire, and optical drive, and audio inputs with me at all times.

I also haven't been impressed with the battery life reviews the Air has gotten. Has that changed anyone's decision?
I think that you may be underestimating the Imac. It's pretty much the same machine as a Macbook pro only a decked out macbook pro is likely to have a better graphics card and more ram.

I say go for the imac and the air/macbook. Don't get me wrong I love the Macbook Pro's although I just sold mines and purchased a Mac Mini. Bottom line the Macbook Pro's need a redesign and my new mini is just as fast for everyday tasks.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jaydon34 View Post
I think that you may be underestimating the Imac. It's pretty much the same machine as a Macbook pro only a decked out macbook pro is likely to have a better graphics card and more ram.

I say go for the imac and the air/macbook. Don't get me wrong I love the Macbook Pro's although I just sold mines and purchased a Mac Mini. Bottom line the Macbook Pro's need a redesign and my new mini is just as fast for everyday tasks.
Thanks for the input.

Yeah I was hoping for a more dramatic update with this last round of MBPs, so the iMac/Air combination is looking even better. I just need to get used to the computing-lifestyle change of managing data between two machines.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 2, 2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Thanks for the input.

Yeah I was hoping for a more dramatic update with this last round of MBPs, so the iMac/Air combination is looking even better. I just need to get used to the computing-lifestyle change of managing data between two machines.
That is something that I've been wondering about a lot lately as well. Right now I'm guessing that I would have to use my external HD as a hub of some sort to transfer files, but is there a better, more efficient way to do this?
Dell 2408WFP

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2008, 11:43 PM

I'm hoping to do it all over the network. I really just need access to a few files at a time, along with a way to listen to the iTunes library on my iMac with the Air. A few scripts that could sync things like Safari bookmarks when I get home would be nice too. I'm looking into the Back To My Mac feature of .Mac, although it could be done with free software.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 05:26 PM

advice: presuming that by "for college" you mean this coming fall semester, then you should wait as long as you can before buying the iMac. There may be some back-to-school deals where you'd get an iPod/printer (which you could sell off if you don't need) and there may be a refresh of the iMac line sometime soon.

Lightweight in college is good.

Assume that you'll keep your tunes on an iPod, not on your MBAir, so as to free up HD space on the MBA. You do have your tunes library backed up onto DVD, right? Otherwise, at some point, HDs do fail, etc, and all your hours of work converting tunes are down the drain.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2008, 07:31 PM

I would say that DVDs are somewhat less reliable than hard discs as a backup at this point. If you have them backed up on your iMac, an iMac backup and your iPod, your tunes should be fine.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2008, 09:09 PM

I'm looking at a 2nd hand 12" Powerbook for $299CAN for basic web surfing and email - As pathetic as it sounds I find my 15" MBP not that comfortable after an hour of couch surfing.

I know - LOSER.....

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 4, 2008, 01:04 AM

Hmm the Back to My Mac feature seems cool, but I'd rather not pay $100 a year for that service.

As for backing up, I back up my files onto 2 separate externals located in separate places.

Man, a 12" MBP, now THAT would be something I would buy
Dell 2408WFP

Naplander
Senior User
Mar 11, 2008, 01:23 PM

All this really makes me can't wait until Apple bring out that docking solution (we saw patent application for it a while back).

I'd love to be able to "slide" a MBA into the back of a 23" display, that had extra firewire, USB etc ports.

Eject the MBA at the end of the day to take home with you

Also on the fence between the two now that my screen has died, but think the MBP is the way to go...
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2008, 12:30 AM

that dock patent application was undoubtedly for a much-in-the-future model, because the MBA lacks anything remotely resembling a dock connector. Having owned a Duo with a mini-dock as well as a duo-dock, the dock connector was quite obvious.

Forum Links
Forum Rules