Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Salary question, new opportunity

Salary question, new opportunity
smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2010, 04:06 AM

I may have the opportunity to make in-house cocoa applications for the company I work for. Fairly simple ones, but enough that I think it would keep me busy for at least a year. As a brand new developer in the midwest (northern Indiana) with very little previous experience (none professionally) and no formal education, what would be a fair salary? We have no others doing any kind of work like this to compare to and I am just looking for a ballpark figure to start negotiations.

I am pretty excited about this and am perfectly willing to take a relatively low salary if I must (not that I am gonna tell them that!) just for the opportunity, but I also would like to get as much money as I can. Right now I am a Group Leader/Technician in the machining department and I make about $52,000 a year.

Also, it is possible that they may be willing or even insist upon paying me on a subcontractor basis. If they do I have NO idea how much to expect to be paid and how the pricing structure normally even works for something like this.

Any help, guidance or well-intentioned laughing and pointing would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2010, 10:59 AM

At minimum what you make now.

Double that as a contractor.

andi*pandi
Mar 29, 2010, 10:44 AM

Have you checked out glassdoor.com? They have lists of salaries etc to go with job titles/areas. It's a little hard when your job isn't a standard title, but you should be able to get ballpark.

Good luck!

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 02:03 AM

That helps, thanks guys.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Forum Links
Forum Rules