Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What happened here on ..?

What happened here on ..?
is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2011, 03:05 PM

I was not here yet.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jan 28, 2011, 03:12 PM

That's a good question, I've seen it before but never gave it more than a few seconds of thought. I just chuckled to myself since odds are I was one of them, and I don't even remember.
are you lightfooted?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2011, 03:20 PM

Those were the days.

A nickel!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2011, 03:27 PM

Wasn't that father's day?

edit: my bad, it was Christmas Eve.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2011, 03:32 PM

Take your pick:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
June 19, 2004

* Witnesses and hospital officials say that 22 Iraqis, among them children, women, and youths, are killed in a U.S. air strike in a residential neighborhood in Fallujah. U.S. officials say that they targeted an Abu Musab al-Zarqawi safe house. (Reuters) (CBC) Iraqi locals dispute the American account. (BBC)
* OpenBeOS becomes Haiku (operating system), announced at the first WalterCon in Columbus, Ohio.
*an asteroid discovered by NASA named 2004 MN4 that may hit earth in 2029.

June 20, 2004

* India and Pakistan agreed in Qingdao, China, to extend a nuclear testing ban and to set up a hotline between their foreign secretaries aimed at preventing misunderstandings that might lead to a nuclear war. (CNN)
* The Philippine Congress announces that Gloria Arroyo has been reelected to a second term as President of the Philippines in the 2004 general election. (Reuters)
* Researchers find SARS in human tears, shedding light on one of the ways the virus propagates, as well as an early-warning test. (CTV) (ABC Online Australia)

June 21, 2004

* 48 Nobel laureates endorse John Kerry as they think that he would increase the prosperity, health, environment, and security of Americans. They criticize the Bush administration for reducing funding for scientific research, setting restrictions on stem cell research, ignoring scientific consensus on critical issues such as global warming, and hampering cooperation with foreign scientists by using deterrent immigration and visa practices. (Reuters)
* A report by the New York Times alleges that the United States administration overstated the intelligence value and importance of the prisoners held at the controversial prisoner camp at Guantanamo Bay. The report, based on interviews with government officials, concludes that only a relatively small percentage of the prisoners were sworn members of Al Qaeda, and that most were relatively unimportant, low-level people. (NYT) (IHT)
* The Supreme Court of the United States, in Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, rules that mandatory disclosure of identity to the police, when asked, does not violate the Fifth Amendment, and the Miranda warning does not apply. (CNN) (AP)
* UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan warns Security Council members not to grant the United States another exemption from prosecution by the International Criminal Court, stating that it was wrong, especially after the abuse of prisoners in Iraq. (New Zealand Herald) (NYT)
* Iran seizes three British Royal Navy patrol boats on the Shatt al-Arab waterway that divides Iran from Iraq. Their eight British crew members are detained by the Iranian Revolutionary Guards. (BBC)
* SpaceShipOne, the first privately and commercially funded aircraft/spaceplane designed for space travel without funding from any government, successfully embarks upon its maiden flight into outer space. Designed by legendary aerospace designer Burt Rutan and funded by billionaire Paul Allen, the ship was launched from a larger plane and, after igniting its burners, flew 62 miles (100 km) into space and back down again, an altitude that officially makes test pilot Michael Melvill an astronaut. (BBC) (Space.com)
* The United States reportedly tries to isolate the United Nations Population Fund because it allegedly supports abortions. (NYT)
* Three former top bankers in the United Kingdom, accused of stealing more than US$7 million from NatWest (now part of the Royal Bank of Scotland) in a scheme that helped to bring about the collapse of Enron vowed to fight attempts to extradite them to the United States.
* The first official group of Hmong refugees from the Wat Tham Krabok camp in Thailand begin arriving in the United States. 14,300 to 15,000 refugees are expected to arrive by the end of the year. The camp is one of the last remaining from results of the Vietnam War. One family had left early on June 16 due to a medical emergency. (BBC) (MPR)
* Facing impeachment over corruption charges, Governor John G. Rowland of Connecticut announces that he will resign, effective July 1. (NYT)

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2011, 04:01 PM

There have been a couple threads regarding this.

is not  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Take your pick:
an asteroid discovered by NASA named 2004 MN4 that may hit earth in 2029

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2011, 05:36 PM

Bots

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2011, 05:55 PM

Pre-invasion test.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2011, 06:00 PM

All my clones... er, accounts activated at once.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2011, 06:42 PM

People were lining up online (6 months in advance) for the first "Hot Babes Picturefest" post.
(You know how us Apple fans love to line up for things....)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2011, 07:23 AM

There were rumours that I'd joined.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2011, 08:27 AM

Rob created 1,734 handles, which all got banninated within hours.

-t

is not  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2011, 09:30 AM

Very funny replies

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 29, 2011, 09:48 AM

are not.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2011, 09:48 AM

wait a second - is this some kind of bust?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2011, 10:33 AM

It was the week before the WWDC'04. Preview of Mac OS X Tiger, new Cinema Displays…

I guess the rumor mill drove everyone nuts.

andi*pandi
Jan 29, 2011, 10:56 AM

net news fiasco?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2011, 05:54 PM

or better yet...who was MacNN's 100,000 member? I see we are a little over 500 of that number.

was there a thread about that? don't remember...

(and, does banned accounts count in that number? like spammers and the some 50k accounts some members seem a need to create to bypass rules)?

P
Jan 30, 2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
It was the week before the WWDC'04. Preview of Mac OS X Tiger, new Cinema Displays…

I guess the rumor mill drove everyone nuts.
Don't forget the 4G iPod, which was launched a month or so later and was already in the rumors. I think in general that it was the fact that Apple started looking good again while MS seemed to do everything wrong. Windows security was at a low point - XP SP2 was still a few months away - and word was starting to spread that Longhorn (what would, after losing many features in a big kernel reset, become Vista) was in deep trouble. On the Mac, Apple was delivering yet another big upgrade to an OS that was everything that Windows was not, and that drove some of the curious to take another look at it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 30, 2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
or better yet...who was MacNN's 100,000 member? I see we are a little over 500 of that number.

was there a thread about that? don't remember...

(and, does banned accounts count in that number? like spammers and the some 50k accounts some members seem a need to create to bypass rules)?
Banned accounts are included in the member total. Spammers have helped increase our membership, though they get little benefit from it.

Based on account ID numbers, it looks like kordeilof was our 100,000 th member. Registered Dec 22, 2010.

But since some early accounts were lost during the UBB to vB upgrade, someone else must have been #100,000. We don't have enough data today to figure it out. So kordeilof gets the honors.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Banned accounts are included in the member total. Spammers have helped increase our membership, though they get little benefit from it.

Based on account ID numbers, it looks like kordeilof was our 100,000 th member. Registered Dec 22, 2010.

But since some early accounts were lost during the UBB to vB upgrade, someone else must have been #100,000. We don't have enough data today to figure it out. So kordeilof gets the honors.
cool; thanks for digging a little into it. was just surprised not to "hear" about such a milestone from the board peeps and moderators/admins.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2011, 05:59 AM

It was my 12th wedding anniversary, I do appreciate everyone turning out.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

Some of us are still waiting for red velvet smoking jackets - ya know, to wear around the lounge.
Any updates on that?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Some of us are still waiting for red velvet smoking jackets - ya know, to wear around the lounge.
Any updates on that?
the special stars for 10 year vets (or some various way to distinguish 10 year, and at this rate, 15 year )

exactly...anything on that front mods/admins?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2011, 12:42 PM

Yes, that's a good idea too.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2011, 01:59 PM

Stars made of tin !!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules