Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Huh…I guess Obama was "palin' around" with Bill Ayers after all…

Huh…I guess Obama was "palin' around" with Bill Ayers after all…
smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 09:42 AM

Link.

Change anyone's minds? I know, doubtful. I never cared about the whole Ayers thing because I thought that Obama's relationship with him was being exaggerated, not because I didn't care about who Ayers was.

Now we know they are actually friends, and that Obama wasn't very truthful about his relationship with him. Does this bother any of you?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

linger
Baninated
Nov 14, 2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Link.

Change anyone's minds? I know, doubtful. I never cared about the whole Ayers thing because I thought that Obama's relationship with him was being exaggerated, not because I didn't care about who Ayers was.

Now we know they are actually friends, and that Obama wasn't very truthful about his relationship with him. Does this bother any of you?
Does it change my mind? No. Because I knew it before I voted. I knew the media was ignoring it for a reason. I am more upset at the media than I am Obama. Having said that, I've been in the company of a lot of people that have done bad things in many occasions. But I'd never want anyone to call them my pals. Just how buddy buddy were they?

linger
Baninated
Nov 14, 2008, 10:16 AM

For example

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2008...ead-portfolio/

"Couric shed some light on her preparation for the interviews: Beforehand, she sought advice from former senator Sam Nunn and Council on Foreign Relations president Richard Haas. They told her to draw Palin out on her geopolitical worldview and urged her to let the governor speak at length without interrupting her. Maybe she should bring them along with her when she takes over at Meet the Press?”

Both of them are very anti-Palin. Why was she getting advised by two anti-Palin trolls And why aren't we allowed to like Obama AND Palin?

linger
Baninated
Nov 14, 2008, 10:21 AM

This actually upsets me more. Obama said he was going to do away with such partisanship. He is just starting and already backing down from his words.
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...081114?sp=true

I hope I am proved wrong. I don't want to get burned again. Or feel like I was used. If Obama doesn't pull through on what he said before the election, this probably might be the last election I actually vote on.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by linger View Post
This actually upsets me more. Obama said he was going to do away with such partisanship. He is just starting and already backing down from his words.

I hope I am proved wrong. I don't want to get burned again. Or feel like I was used. If Obama doesn't pull through on what he said before the election, this probably might be the last election I actually vote on.
What are you talking about? That article is just about other people speculating on what Obama might do, and all of the Obama quotes in it are from during the campaign.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

linger
Baninated
Nov 14, 2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
What are you talking about? That article is just about other people speculating on what Obama might do
Right, and I wasn't saying he was GOING to do them. I said I hope he doesn't. Don't expect him to repel the Patriot Act either. Considering Biden wrote most of it. Again not a big fan of Biden. I hope nothing happens to him. I'd rather seen Obama run with McCain.

And another scary MAYBE
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081114/...ate_department

And I am not talking about the picture.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2008, 12:31 PM

Heh, I'd love for Hillary to be Secretary of State, on the condition that Governor Paterson gives her Senate seat to Bill. I think Bill would make a much better Senator than Hillary, and Hillary is much better off being a Cabinet official than a Senator, provided Bill is busy and not interfering.

As for Ayers, I don't think referencing Obama as a "family friend" makes any difference. I have many "family friends" who I haven't seen in years....

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 12:49 PM

The link to the Tribune article doesn't prove anything, other than what one person's interpretation of a relationship might be. We all have "friends" that we rarely or casually see that might think their relationship with us is different than we perceive it. Grasping at straws doesn't change anything.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2008, 01:05 PM

I thought "family friend" was code for "person who lives in the neighborhood." That's how my parents always seemed to use it, anyway.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 01:54 PM

I don't know. McCain calls everyone "my friends". Even the ones calling Obama a terrorist and yelling out "kill him".
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Link.

Ayers is now a respected authority on education. This reminds me of two things: Yassir Arafat and Battlestar Galactica.

Should Clinton have refused to sit down and work toward peace with Arafat because he had a history (much more recent than Ayers) of terrorism? Or should he have been reasonable and been willing to take constructive steps to work with someone, despite the past?

Sometimes, you've got to sit down with the Cylons.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by linger View Post

So you want Obama to be a Republican? Don't like that Obama appointing Democrats and liberals to positions?

You are sad that the articles says Obama wants to restore balance to the Supreme Court by pushing the courts away from the right?

Okay buddy. I mean my friend.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 14, 2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I thought "family friend" was code for "person who lives in the neighborhood." That's how my parents always seemed to use it, anyway.
I've never heard it used that way until you wrote the above.

It's always meant to me, my parents' friends. Or now that I'm the parent, Me and my wife's friends, and how they relate to my children. Friends of our family.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 02:14 PM

Ayers says here he doesn't consider Obama a friend. Like I said, grasping at straws.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...811140418/1361
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 14, 2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Should Clinton have refused to sit down and work toward peace with Arafat because he had a history (much more recent than Ayers) of terrorism?
Yes.

Arafat stuck to his rejection of anything and everything presented to him, and continued to go on murdering Americans and Israelis after meeting with Clinton, as he had done before.

Yes, Clinton should have refused to sit down with Arafat.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2008, 04:20 PM

There is a lot of misinformation floating around. Here are the facts, as I understand them:

- Ayers himself was responsible for blowing up a statue in protest to the Vietnam
- Ayers was a part of the Weather Underground which bombed the Pentagon and did other things
- It is not clear whether Ayers was involved with these activities, and I'm not clear on how organized and unified the group was

I'm not trying to excuse Ayers, because I don't really care much about him, but it is still helpful to try to figure out what the facts actually are as to not be manipulated

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 04:37 PM

Guys. I mean seriously .... give it a rest will you?

Vietnam-era radical Bill Ayers said Friday he doesn't know President-elect Barack Obama any better than "thousands of other people" and the two never talked about Ayers' anti-war activities.

In a television interview on ABC's "Good Morning America," the college professor disputed the contention that in the new afterword of a paperback edition of his 2001 memoir "Fugitive Days" he describes himself and Obama as "family friends."

"I'm describing there how the blogosphere characterized the relationship," Ayers said. "I would really say that we knew each other in a professional way, again on the same level as say thousands of other people."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27721538/

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I don't know. McCain calls everyone "my friends". Even the ones calling Obama a terrorist and yelling out "kill him".
The "kill him" claim is false
Secret Service says "Kill him" allegation unfounded
Agent Bill Slavoski said he was in the audience, along with an undisclosed number of additional secret service agents and other law enforcement officers and not one heard the comment.
45/47

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2008, 06:59 AM

I HOPE Obama doesn't make sauted puppy the new Whitehouse staple food. I know I know I'm just speculating but still... I fear he will club Baby Seals on camera™, It's just speculation but I still don't want it to happen.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Yes.

Arafat stuck to his rejection of anything and everything presented to him, and continued to go on murdering Americans and Israelis after meeting with Clinton, as he had done before.

Yes, Clinton should have refused to sit down with Arafat.
And Israel gained from Oslo nothing other than increased warfare and hatred from the other side.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
It's false to claim that the "kill him" claim is false. "Unverified" would be more honest.

PaperNotes
Nov 18, 2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Ayers is now a respected authority on education.
LOL, depends what you mean by respected. The Weathermen Underground included graduates from Harvard who would sit around talking quite seriously about how many millions of people they would have to kill after they took over government. They estimated 25 million Americans would have to be killed off if they couldn't be reprogrammed at "Re-education Centers".
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:04 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules