Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > So is this what you were hoping for?

So is this what you were hoping for? (Page 2)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You realise you're talking to an Englishman in England who chooses to own American cars, right?
Is there some reason why you're so down on your own products?
You own a Jeep, right? That's an American truck and yes, there's a huuuuuge difference.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2009, 04:20 PM

As for the OP, yes, this IS what I was desperately hoping for, a bunch of armchair economists predicting doom and gloom after a whole, what, two months into BOs presidency. I am VERY glad that people here are SO smart that they can predict the state of our country from years away, why waste your time here on these boards? Shouldn't you be sipping champagne with the CEOs of AIG laughing about how dumb the rest of us are? You do realize that our country was in the sh!tter BEFORE Mr. Obama was sworn in, right? So how exactly would anyone have made the situation noticeably better in this small amount of time?

If you think, even for a millisecond, that McCain wouldn't have throw the exact same amount of money at all these companies YOU ARE BAT-SH!T crazy.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You own a Jeep, right?
Well... Two Jeeps and a few Fords.

That's an American truck
How does that make any difference?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2009, 04:35 PM

You own a Morgan?
No - they don't look very practical where I live. They look like fun though!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2009, 04:38 PM

American trucks are world-class vehicles, the F-150 (IMO) doesn't have anything that can rival it for power, finish, ride, etc...

American cars are cheap A-B people movers, I've had more than a couple, and I liked them well enough. But for my hard-earned money to go to Ford, GM, or Chrysler they would need a complete revamp of their car lines.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
No
So you don't own an English car then? Why say you do when you don't?

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2009, 04:42 PM

So you don't own an English car then? Why say you do when you don't?
They were both built in Oxford. Last time I checked, that's part of England.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2009, 04:44 PM

American cars are cheap A-B people movers, I've had more than a couple, and I liked them well enough.
Problem is, over here we see Japanese and Korean cars as cheap A-B people movers. Are we sure that this isn't just a perception problem?

But for my hard-earned money to go to Ford, GM, or Chrysler they would need a complete revamp of their car lines.
Or a 500% import tax.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
They were both built in Oxford. Last time I checked, that's part of England.
So, all those cars built in Mexico by the big three are Mexican cars then?

Are you sure you're not driving German cars?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2009, 04:46 PM

You realise you're talking to an Englishman in England who chooses to own American cars, right?
Is there some reason why you're so down on your own products?
That's even better! An Englishman in England who thinks he knows how to fix America's economy! If economist who know way more than you or I thought all it would take is a tax on car imports, a 10% tax break, and increasing interest rates to fix our problems it would have been done long ago.

I'm not down on American cars I just wouldn't buy one. I prefer Nissan, Lexus, and Infinity.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
it would have been done long ago.
Assuming that the "crisis" isn't intentional, of course.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2009, 04:58 PM

Problem is, over here we see Japanese and Korean cars as cheap A-B people movers. Are we sure that this isn't just a perception problem?
They are generic people movers, but they ain't cheap. On average, a similarly-equipped Japanese car will be about 3 grand more expensive. Korean cars are dirt cheap now, and they are actually starting to rival the image of Toyota and Honda (namely Hyundai).

Most new American cars now sport (on average, again) better MPG, more horsepower, more features than similarly equipped Japanese cars, something they should have done DECADES AGO. If anyone actually feels bad for the rap American cars get they must be conveniently forgetting the decades of lackluster upgrades, using old models chassis in a 'new' car, like the mid-90s Dodge Intrepid. It's a ****ing K-car with a stupid looking body glued on. The K cars sucked in the late 80s and thanks to greed and sloth they continued on in the chassis of Dodge cars until 98 or 99.

Course I don't buy cars, I buy trucks, and the Tundra is to damn expensive with no observable gain over the Silverado, F-150, and Ram.

Or a 500% import tax.
I'd drive a John Deere

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2009, 04:59 PM

So, all those cars built in Mexico by the big three are Mexican cars then?

Are you sure you're not driving German cars?
Pretty much. I had an American car once - a Subaru that was built in Indiana. Nice car - wicked fast - but just too damn big...

With my current one - the damn bonnet release is on the right side of the car...that's English enough for me!

Would you call a Ford Ka an American car? I think that's a stretch...

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2009, 09:07 AM

Assuming that the "crisis" isn't intentional, of course.

And who, pray tell, do you propose intentionally started this global economic crisis? Obama? Bush? Aliens?

Give me a break. You just lost any credibility you may have had with that statement.

Time to take off the tin foil hat...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2009, 10:36 AM

And who, pray tell, do you propose intentionally started this global economic crisis? Obama? Bush? Aliens?

Give me a break. You just lost any credibility you may have had with that statement.

Time to take off the tin foil hat...
Simply because you're not aware that there's anything going on doesn't mean that there isn't.

Do yourself a favour - instead of acting like an ignorant sheep, go and find out how money works and then ask yourself how, exactly, this "crisis" could possibly have started unintentionally.

Why are you mentioning Obama and Bush? Are you so ignorant of the world outside the US that you think that the US must have started this? Oh, sorry. Aliens. So there's the Dem president, the former GOP president and aliens. Nobody else in the world at all. No sir-ee!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2009, 11:31 AM

That's even better! An Englishman in England who thinks he knows how to fix America's economy! If economist who know way more than you or I thought all it would take is a tax on car imports, a 10% tax break, and increasing interest rates to fix our problems it would have been done long ago.

I'm not down on American cars I just wouldn't buy one. I prefer Nissan, Lexus, and Infinity.
Who all happen to build cars in the US, as does BMW, Honda, Subaru, Mercedes, and a few others. That awesome Camry or M class you see driving down the street was built here in the US, as is that Outback as well.
45/47

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2009, 11:55 AM

Why are you mentioning Obama and Bush? Are you so ignorant of the world outside the US that you think that the US must have started this? Oh, sorry. Aliens. So there's the Dem president, the former GOP president and aliens. Nobody else in the world at all. No sir-ee!
You should know this by now...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Who all happen to build cars in the US, as does BMW, Honda, Subaru, Mercedes, and a few others. That awesome Camry or M class you see driving down the street was built here in the US, as is that Outback as well.
No one is disputing that, the Tundra was designed in America, and assembled at a 2 billion dollar facility built in San Antonio. American workers can build with the best of them. It's the overall direction, design, and fit&finish of American car companies that the consumer doesn't want.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2009, 01:52 PM

Simply because you're not aware that there's anything going on doesn't mean that there isn't.

Do yourself a favour - instead of acting like an ignorant sheep, go and find out how money works and then ask yourself how, exactly, this "crisis" could possibly have started unintentionally.

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity.

Why do you think a bunch of stupid, greedy people can't be at fault?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2009, 02:42 PM

No one is disputing that, the Tundra was designed in America, and assembled at a 2 billion dollar facility built in San Antonio. American workers can build with the best of them. It's the overall direction, design, and fit&finish of American car companies that the consumer doesn't want.
There is a difference between those plants. What is it?
45/47

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity.

Because they're not stupid.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2009, 03:45 PM

Opinion writing 101: Simply complaining is pointless. You need to provide a viable alternative.
Which is also what many of us had been saying the last few years of the previous administration.

Still waiting.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2009, 03:46 PM

Why can't you see that all this blame being put on "stupid, greedy people" is intended to divert attention away from those in office who have repeatedly mishandled or were corrupted by the financial system?

Why can't you also see that all this is being used as an excuse for large-scale power grab?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Why can't you see that all this blame being put on "stupid, greedy people" is intended to divert attention away from those in office who have repeatedly mishandled or were corrupted by the financial system?

Why can't you also see that all this is being used as an excuse for large-scale power grab?
It depends on who is being corrupted and who is doing the power grab.
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2009, 05:41 PM

And by "those in office" you mean the Democrats... right?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
There is a difference between those plants. What is it?
One of them is vastly more efficient by not wasting resources on unionized labor despite providing very similar (and certainly adequate) compensation and benefits?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
One of them is vastly more efficient by not wasting resources on unionized labor despite providing very similar (and certainly adequate) compensation and benefits?
45/47

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2009, 01:02 AM

Those are the stupid, greedy people I was talking about. I don't believe most of them meant to do harm — they were just being greedy and stupid.

Um…obviously? What makes you think I can't see that?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules