Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Mac Clone's parts on PC, possible?

Mac Clone's parts on PC, possible?
drpeppercan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 02:20 PM

At the risk of being seriously flamed.... ; )

Bare with me with this please. I am a Mac fan at heart too : )
My very first computer was a 25Mhz mac, just before the PowerMacs (Centris 610). And although I have always liked Macs better, 2 years ago I had to buy a Windoze box to run 3DSmax : (
Anyway, to keep the story short, I have a Motorola StarMax 3000 (200Mhz), and I was wondering if I could use its parts on my PC now. Like the HD, floppy drive, etc. I know from first hand experience that I can use its Dayna Ethernet card on either computer (as long as I have the corresponding software).

I'll appreciate info on this, especially if it's "first hand experience" advice.

thanks in advance.

DPC

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by drpeppercan:
At the risk of being seriously flamed.... ; )

Bare with me with this please. I am a Mac fan at heart too : )
My very first computer was a 25Mhz mac, just before the PowerMacs (Centris 610). And although I have always liked Macs better, 2 years ago I had to buy a Windoze box to run 3DSmax : (
Anyway, to keep the story short, I have a Motorola StarMax 3000 (200Mhz), and I was wondering if I could use its parts on my PC now. Like the HD, floppy drive, etc. I know from first hand experience that I can use its Dayna Ethernet card on either computer (as long as I have the corresponding software).

I'll appreciate info on this, especially if it's "first hand experience" advice.

thanks in advance.

DPC
Not sure about Floppy drives, but I know hard drives can be used in PCs and Macs, I've used some smaller drives that were in a 8500 with a Mac. I've also have an Adaptec SCSI card I threw in my B&W and it worked great, all drives connected to it were detected, I had it running on a PC for years. Hard drives for sure, RAM if it's the same type, i.e. 72 pin simms Mac to 72pin PC, or 168pin Mac to 168pin PC, done that too, put some PC100 RAM from a PC to my Mac. Most generic parts will work, it's the cards that you might have trouble with.

I have to wonder what type of parts are you planning on gaining a direct benifit from? A 25mhz mac to a modern PC. When I had a 25mhz comp the HD was 100megs, that's worthless now, you can get 9gig scsi drives for $6 online. I would seriously consider what parts you want to swap and then just look into buying them new.

nate
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

drpeppercan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 05:48 PM

Nate,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply

My mentioning about my first Mac was only to establish a time reference (an Apple Mac). The Mac clone I was considering to dissassemble is a StarMax 3000 (Powermac 200mhz). According to what I had suspected and what you confirmed, technically I could use its HD, ethernet card, and SCSI card. However, I guess it is better off as a present or sold in one piece than else. I already have a SCSI card and a network card on the PC, and the HD is only 1gb.

thanks again Nate

DPC

Forum Links
Forum Rules