Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Updated iOS 9.3 released to fix leftover authentication issues

Updated iOS 9.3 released to fix leftover authentication issues
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 28, 2016, 01:38 PM

On Monday, Apple released a second updated version of iOS 9.3 to address remaining issues that some older iPads and iPhones had with authentication problems that could, in some cases, cause the device to become inoperative, also known as "bricked." The new build, 13E5237, is one number higher than the previous fix. Users who have been unable to move past a stuck Activation Lock screen may now be able to restore the device by attaching it to iTunes on a Mac and upgrading to the new release.

The problem, which was sporadic, seemed to affect mostly iPhone 5s and older models, or iPad Air and older models. A second and related issue prevented users who did not know their Apple ID or login passcode from proceeding past the password authentication check while updating to iOS 9.3, also rendering the device useless. The problem appears to have occurred most often during over-the-air (wireless) updates, with some users reporting success when doing the update while hard-wired to a Mac or Windows PC running iTunes.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2016, 02:03 PM

1.3 GB? The original was much smaller. Is it better to download straight to the iOS device or via iTunes?
45/47

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2016, 02:18 PM

The original was probably a "delta" (in-place) update, while the update for those who need it is likely to be the whole of iOS 9.3 over again. You will get it faster by connecting directly to iTunes, but either way will work fine.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2016, 02:21 PM

Also a handy tip in the future: if you get the "not enough storage available" to do an OTA update, instead of frustratedly deleting apps and photos until you have enough storage, simply do the upgrade through iTunes with your phone connected via USB.

The iTunes-USB update doesn't care how much room is left on your phone.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2016, 02:38 PM

Interesting. I checked my iPad Air and that's where I got the 1.3GB figure. I checked my 6S plus and it says my software is up to date. Both checks were OTA.
45/47

fds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2016, 03:12 PM

In my case, iPad Air and iPhone 5s wanted to re-update to iOS 9.3.
And elderly iPhone 4s was content to stay with the original release of iOS 9.3.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 29, 2016, 11:28 AM

I second the iTunes method of updating. It's sad though that Apple continues to limit the entry level devices at 16gb. This was precisely the reason that I don't use the OTA updates, especially when you only have about 1gb of capacity remaining.

Forum Links
Forum Rules