Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 75)
Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 04:05 PM

When I use it, its for little things, so I have no problem, In halo and halo 2 you don't even need to use it.

( Last edited by Sub; Jan 25, 2007 at 06:20 PM. )

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
but I will take a noisey 400 Dollar console than a quiet 600 Dollar Console with the same controller since 2001.
They did a good job, I love the Ps1 controller, I just thought all the time they spend shitting on their fans they could be spending developing a better contoller, like Microsoft did, I find absolutley no imperfections with the 360 Controller. Even Nintendo has the originality to create a new controller per system, I wish that some of it would rub off on their games, but give it up, the Ps3 really doesn't have much more than a cheap Blu-Ray player to offer.
Out all of the controllers I've used, I liked the PS2s the best, until I used one for the PS3. In case you didn't know, it is a different controller. The trigger buttons on back add pretty much the only thing it was lacking (except they had to lose force feedback....laaaame). I got used to the N64, hated the Gamecube's, thought the Dreamcast's was weird, I could barely hold up the original Xbox's, but I really liked the Dual Shock. Seriously, if it's not broken, there's no reason to fix it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2007, 06:03 PM

I hate the 360 D-pad. I don't use it a lot, but I use it enough to say, "PIECEO'CRAP!" every once in a while.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 06:29 PM

Yeah, the ps2 controller was great, but come on, no force feedback for ps3, what the hell? I still think its a peice of crap. Thats kinda sad, you appreciating the fact that the ps3 doesn't have force feedback, I mean why not go out and buy a NES controller.

( Last edited by Sub; Jan 25, 2007 at 06:19 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2007, 08:30 PM

Thats kinda sad, you appreciating the fact that the ps3 doesn't have force feedback, I mean why not go out and buy a NES controller.
He said getting rid of the force feedback was lame, not having it in the first place. Reading comprehension FTW.

In any case, both the PS3 and 360 controllers are good.

Advantages of the PS3 controller:
Built-in rechargeable battery
Motion sensing
Light (this is seen as some as feeling "cheap" but prefer it for long gaming sessions)
EDIT: Forget the PS3 controller's better D-pad

Advantages of the 360 controller:
Force feedback
Arguably more ergonomic design
( Last edited by icruise; Jan 24, 2007 at 12:07 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2007, 08:46 PM

I like the new L2 R2 triggers, but the loss of force feedback is actually more noticeable (and disappointing) than I originally thought it would be. I don't have a PS3 of my own, but I've played a friend's a bit.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
He said getting rid of the force feedback was lame, not having it in the first place. Reading comprehension FTW.

In any case, both the PS3 and 360 controllers are good.

Advantages of the PS3 controller:
Built-in rechargeable battery
Motion sensing
Light (this is seen as some as feeling "cheap" but prefer it for long gaming sessions)

Advantages of the 360 controller:
Force feedback
Arguably more ergonomic design
Alright, that's a fair compromise, even though you can pick up a rechargable battery for the 360 for like 12 Bucks.

Im not a big fan of lighter controllers, I know it's weird, but I prefer the heavier controllers.

Sony did make a few good changes, and one bad one, but thats just my opinion.

You can put 4 players in multiplayer in the Ps3 right?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2007, 09:24 PM

You can put 4 players in multiplayer in the Ps3 right?
Seven.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 09:34 PM

How about link them easily together enabling 16, without going online?Or paying an enormous fee?

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Seven.
...Though very few games will ever support that.

With the controller debate, it's a toss-up.

The 360's controller has better ergonomics, better triggers, and better analog sticks.

The PS3's controller has a better D-Pad, better buttons (the X, Square, Triangle, O buttons), and it's rechargeable from the get-go.

With weight, it's a non-factor. At first I thought it's pretty damn light, but after a while both controllers feel about the same weight. I've gotten used to it.

Now, for the ultimate question... motion sensing vs rumble. In games like Motorstorm and Ridge Racer 7, "tilting the controller to turn" is a joke. It's not precise at all. In games like GT:HD, there's no motion sensing at all, and this is a game where rumble really enhances the experience. Resistance is a bit iffy. It doesn't feel natural when you're firing a rifle and you don't feel anything at all. However, when a Chimera latches onto you, and you have to shake the controller to get it off, that's motion sensing at it's finest. I couldn't imagine pressing buttons to get the thing off.

So, at this point, rumble > sixaxis tech. There's just more games that just benefit more from rumble than from tilting the controller. There are going to be some interesting uses of it in the future (holding the controller still to steady a sniper shot in Army of Two, whatever MGS4 comes up with, etc), so at any point it could be "sixaxis tech > rumble".

My conclusion? The 360 has a better controller. That's not to say that the SIXAXIS isn't good. It's an excellent controller. Just not excellent enough.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2007, 10:02 PM

The dumb thing, of course, is that they didn't have to choose between motion sensing and rumble (even though they would like you to believe that).

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 10:03 PM

...Though very few games will ever support that.

With the controller debate, it's a toss-up.
Yeah, how many games are built for this "sinaxis"technology, anyway?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2007, 10:10 PM

If you want to quote something, enclose it in quote tags like this (I put spaces after the first bracket so they would show up):

[ quote]Text to quote.[ /quote]

But in this case, you don't need to quote the whole message. Just enough to show who you are replying to. I've changed your message accordingly.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 11:35 PM

Sixaxis works fine, for me, in Motorstorm. Like any game you have to get used to it. Best to start out with the truck first because the cycles are more responsive. Fight Night works good for illegal shots. Marvel Alliance uses it often as well.

Gran Turismo is a beta so who knows what the final will do, its still about a year off. Never tried or seen Ridge Racer, though.

Having used both, I think the 360 is the better controller like everyone else. The size is perfect and I like the layout of making the analogs the primary control. Nonetheless, I still enjoy the Sixaxis. I guess I'm one of the few that enjoy the motion sensor. Rumble would be cool too, but its not there, so I just moved on.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Gran Turismo is a beta so who knows what the final will do, its still about a year off. Never tried or seen Ridge Racer, though.
I don't think there is a final Gran Turismo. I think the beta you've got is it. They've moved on to the next game.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I don't think there is a final Gran Turismo. I think the beta you've got is it. They've moved on to the next game.
Thats what I just said. GT5 isn't due till like next year.

Seems the 1.5 Firmware update for the PS3 is due soon. Just hit Japan.
PS3 1.5 update

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 01:38 AM

I tried using sixaxis in Motorstorm but found it awful, I went back to the analog stick right away, as it was much more precise.
Losing force feedback really takes away from the gaming experience I think. Although I'm sure it's not something Sony wanted to do, it's still dumb.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 01:43 AM

It was a patent issue.

It's also one of the first reasons I use to talk myself out of the PS3.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
It was a patent issue.

Yeah, I remembered it being something like that but I couldn't find a solid source after 15 seconds of googling so I gave up.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 02:07 AM

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 03:29 AM

It was a patent issue.

I think in the end, it was an arrogance issue for Sony. Even if they didn't think the legal decision was fair and understandably didn't want to pay this company royalties, they should have thought of their customers and paid up instead of putting their big fat collective ego in front of their customer's wants. Neither Microsoft (surprisingly) nor Nintendo had a problem with this.

I used a wired GameCube controller the other day, after using Wavebirds all the time, and I felt the difference. Rumble, when used appropriately can really add to the gaming experience. It's even useful feedback when you're getting shot in a game.

Question: Do the currently shipping PS2 controllers still have the rumble feature?

Dakar: Is that Vega in your signature?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2007, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Neither Microsoft (surprisingly) nor Nintendo had a problem with this.
Nintendo had nothing to do with it, since they have their own rumble technology. They didn't pay Immersion. Microsoft bought a large portion of Immersion as part of the settlement, so it's possible that this made it difficult for Sony to work out a similar deal.

Question: Do the currently shipping PS2 controllers still have the rumble feature?
Yes.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 10:08 AM

I'm a big fan of the 360 controller. I liked the dreamcast and original Xbox controllers. Their size was nice. The Xbox controller S I found too small and uncomfortable.
The 360 one is a nice middle ground. Very comfortable.

I have never been a fan of the PlayStation controllers. I've alway found them to be too small. I bought a wireless nerf controller for my ps2. It's a really similar shape to the 360 one and you can squeeze it. It's really cool

A friend brought his Wii to my house last night. I've played it on his small crt TV but never on something like my 55" TV. It was awesome.
I need to get one. Wario ware is a blast.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 10:16 AM

You bet.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2007, 10:49 AM

If you want to quote something, enclose it in quote tags like this (I put spaces after the first bracket so they would show up):

[ quote]Text to quote.[ /quote]

But in this case, you don't need to quote the whole message. Just enough to show who you are replying to. I've changed your message accordingly.
Gee, thanks.

( Last edited by Sub; Jan 25, 2007 at 06:18 PM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 11:02 AM

Nintendo had nothing to do with it, since they have their own rumble technology. They didn't pay Immersion. Microsoft bought a large portion of Immersion as part of the settlement, so it's possible that this made it difficult for Sony to work out a similar deal.

Yes.
True but the whole story seems a bit more fishy. Immersion said they never really looked into Nintendo which I find hard to believe as if they find it is their technology they could get millions:
http://news.spong.com/article/8511?cb=596

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 11:34 AM

Before the PS3 came out the 360 controller was definitely my favorite controller ever. Now I am sorta split as after using the PS3 controller the wireless 360 controller feels a bit heavy and clunky.

If the PS3 controller had rumble it would be close to perfect. I never liked the 4 shoulder buttons on the PS2 but with the PS3 2 of the are nice soft triggers and I love it.

It was good for sony to use a built in battery as they can make it whatever shape they want. The 360's is so clunky partly because it can use standard AA's.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2007, 11:38 AM

The PS3 software update (1.5) that just came out apparently fixes any graphical issues that occurred when playing PS1 and PS2 games. I'm downloading it now.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Before the PS3 came out the 360 controller was definitely my favorite controller ever. Now I am sorta split as after using the PS3 controller the wireless 360 controller feels a bit heavy and clunky.

If the PS3 controller had rumble it would be close to perfect. I never liked the 4 shoulder buttons on the PS2 but with the PS3 2 of the are nice soft triggers and I love it.

It was good for sony to use a built in battery as they can make it whatever shape they want. The 360's is so clunky partly because it can use standard AA's.

This is of course one opinion. . . I for one hate the PS2 controller. I'm a huge fan of the 360 controller. It feels good in the hand, and the buttons are great. . . Have fun replacing your controller when the battery inside sh%ts the bed
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by cSurfr View Post
Have fun replacing your controller when the battery inside sh%ts the bed
I will considering sony replaces it for free. Unlike Apple and iPods.

But ya, the possibility of that happening once if ever in this systems lifetime years from now is enough for me to wish it took standard AA's to make it more beastly every time I pick it up. Ya, that's much more convenient.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 12:13 PM

Seems this PS3 update fixes the ugly BC problem:
PS1 and PS2 games will look beautiful again! - PS3 Fanboy

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2007, 12:15 PM

But ya, the possibility of that happening once if ever in this systems lifetime years from now is enough for me to wish it took standard AA's to make it more beastly every time I pick it up. Ya, that's much more convenient.
well, I just hope they didn't use sony batteries, or you might be in for a small fire.

-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2007, 12:32 PM

Seems this PS3 update fixes the ugly BC problem:
PS1 and PS2 games will look beautiful again! - PS3 Fanboy
No kidding...

ItwasaSony
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2007, 07:26 PM

It was a patent issue. It's also one of the first reasons I use to talk myself out of the PS3.
My idea too. I love(d) GT 2/3/4. Just thinking about driving GT 5 without feeling the curbs or front-drive train is a no go. Got a Wii instead.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 08:35 PM

I'm willing to bet that somewhere in their disclaimer, they'll say that we have to pay shipping & handling that cost as much as battery itself.

I don't see how they would want to lose any more money from PS3

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2007, 10:02 PM

Yeah, how many games are built for this "sinaxis"technology, anyway?
Like, designed because of this technology? Or games that let you use it?

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Gran Turismo is a beta so who knows what the final will do, its still about two years off.
Fixed.

You're talking about Gran-freaking-Turismo. Polyphony delays their games more than the amount of Final Fantasies out there. I'd expect it at the end of 2008 at the earliest, most likely spring 2009.

Neither Microsoft (surprisingly)
To be fair, they do have tons of money, so it was really only a drop in the bucket.
The PS3 software update (1.5) that just came out apparently fixes any graphical issues that occurred when playing PS1 and PS2 games. I'm downloading it now.
Yep, it does.
This is of course one opinion. . . I for one hate the PS2 controller. I'm a huge fan of the 360 controller. It feels good in the hand, and the buttons are great. . . Have fun replacing your controller when the battery inside sh%ts the bed
I'll get mine replaced for free by Sony, if it does poop out.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2007, 06:07 PM

Games that let you use it.

( Last edited by Sub; Jan 25, 2007 at 06:18 PM. )

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2007, 06:14 PM

Ok, I must admit that this is pretty funny. . . GT4 is amazing! oh, wait. . . that's PGR3 for my 360

PGR3 image used to promote Gran Turismo HD - Xbox 360 Fanboy

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 01:02 PM

Seems Sony, instead of doing a price drop, has raised the PS3 price in Canada:
www.GamersReports.com - Sony Raises PS3 Price In Canada
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 01:50 PM

Seems that is Best Buy and Futureshop. Aren't there other places to buy one? Try another store selling at retail. Didn't this same thing happen in Japan also?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Seems Sony, instead of doing a price drop, has raised the PS3 price in Canada:
www.GamersReports.com - Sony Raises PS3 Price In Canada
Sony did or Futureshop did? I just called a non-futureshop store and they said $659.

Then again you might want to whip out the currency converter and rethink your whole post.

From Digg:
Exchange rate was about CDN$1.11 ~= US$1.00 in May (when prices were announced at E3): US$600 = CDN$666
Exchange rate now is about CDN$1.18 ~= US1.00: US$600 = CDN$708
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Jan 26, 2007 at 02:19 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 11:49 PM

GameSpot: Unreal Tournament 2007 renamed to Unreal Tournament III. UTIII heads to the Xbox 360.

Then Rein dropped a bombshell, announcing that Unreal Tournament III will also arrive on the Xbox 360 when it hits stores later this year. "The 360 is a platform that we've had a little bit of success on," joked Rein, referencing Gears' record-setting sales. As of last week, Gears of War had sold 3 million units worldwide, making it the fastest-selling Xbox 360 game of all time.

Hope it's good. I loved Unreal Tournament. I never got into UT2003 that much, but perhaps I will for UTIII (that is if I have the time to play it).

Ok, I must admit that this is pretty funny. . . GT4 is amazing! oh, wait. . . that's PGR3 for my 360

Hilarious!

Sony did or Futureshop did? I just called a non-futureshop store and they said $659.

Then again you might want to whip out the currency converter and rethink your whole post.

From Digg:
Exchange rate was about CDN$1.11 ~= US$1.00 in May (when prices were announced at E3): US$600 = CDN$666
Exchange rate now is about CDN$1.18 ~= US1.00: US$600 = CDN$708
Leave it to Sony to raise the prices just a few months after release, even though it's just a few % difference. Apple almost never does that until it releases a new product.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 12:37 AM

The past 2 generations, I've been primarily a Playstation guy.

The PS3 is making me hate Sony.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 01:16 AM

Wow. As ways to get fired go, that's pretty awesome.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 05:05 AM

As already mentioned, the issue of Immersion supposedly not even really looking into Nintendo's rumble technology is odd. Did Microsoft "buy a part" of Immersion as in it can make decisions, or is it like the much over-hyped and exaggerated non-voting shares deal Microsoft made years ago with Apple, which had some media outlets saying that Microsoft had bought Apple?

Originally Posted by Gamoe
Yes.
Interesting. One would have thought it wouldn't have been allowed. A friend of mine who owns a PS2 told me that the rumble feature isn't working in newer games, though. I wonder if this is some kind of legal strategy, by simply not having the rumble feature activated via software.

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Wario ware is a blast.
You know, even though I've never been one to criticize Nintendo on the graphics, it bugs me a bit that they would release a game with such poor graphics. No, it's not a style, unless mediocracy or bad graphics is a style. Cell shading is style. 2-D animation (ala paper Mario, for instance) is a style, but the screenshots I've seen of this game are horrible! Why Nintendo why? I don't expect anything fancy, just something that looks good.

Originally Posted by Gamoe
You bet.
Terry is probably my favorite, though I know he's SNK. I wish there were more great 2-D fighters these days. I also liked your Futurama sigs, BTW.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The past 2 generations, I've been primarily a Playstation guy.

The PS3 is making me hate Sony.
Ditto. But they already went down that path with the PSP.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

joel_v
Jan 27, 2007, 08:39 AM

Here in australia a bunch of us are pushing for a cricket game for the wii. To assist in our efforts my brother and i made a video on youtube.

YouTube - Wii Want Cricket

Any views, comments and ratings are greatly appreciated.

WiiWantCricket: Website | Teaser Trailer

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2007, 09:24 AM

Interesting. One would have thought it wouldn't have been allowed. A friend of mine who owns a PS2 told me that the rumble feature isn't working in newer games, though. I wonder if this is some kind of legal strategy, by simply not having the rumble feature activated via software.
I don't know what your friend is talking about. The newer games have rumble too (just checked Final Fantasy XII and Okami just to be sure), and in any case it's not like Sony could prevent third parties from using rumble in their games.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 04:03 PM

Wiinja Modchip to Allow Play of Backup Games

The first Wii modchip has been announced and will be ready to ship on February 1st. It features:
- Run your own region (PAL/NTSC) backups directly
- 5 Cables to solder
- Easy Installation
- Modchip not upgradable

Video 1 & Video 2

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 07:12 PM

"Although the suggested retail price (SRP) of the PlayStation 3 in Canada has not changed, some Canadian retailers have chosen to increase their retail price as a result of the weaker Canadian dollar. This increase is solely at the discretion of the retailer, as Sony Computer Entertainment Canada has not issued a price increase."--An SCEC representative.

GameSpot News: The definitive source for video game news, announcements, ship dates, rankings, sales figures, and more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules