Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > The Apple TV remote problem

The Apple TV remote problem
alligator
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2007, 08:47 AM

Anyone else have a Mac Mini in the same room as their Apple TV? I keep waking up the Mini when I use my Apple TV. Is there a way to turn off the Mini's IR sensor, or do I have to put tape over it? I wish Apple used a different remote.

HAGEhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2007, 08:54 AM

System Preferences -> Security will give you options to either pair the mac mini with a separate remote, or turn off the sensor altogether. I have a macbook, 24 inch imac, and mac mini, and none of them get errant input from anyone else.

memory-minus
Senior User
Mar 23, 2007, 09:06 AM

What HAGEhead said.

On the Apple TV, go to Settings, then Pair Remote. You may have to cover the Mini's IR sensor while you pair the remote, but afterwards it will no longer wake your Mini.

I have 3 Apple remote enabled items in the same room; an iPod Hi-Fi, Apple TV and a MacBook. I've paired the respective remotes to each and they don't bother each other.

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by memory-minus View Post
What HAGEhead said.

On the Apple TV, go to Settings, then Pair Remote. You may have to cover the Mini's IR sensor while you pair the remote, but afterwards it will no longer wake your Mini.

I have 3 Apple remote enabled items in the same room; an iPod Hi-Fi, Apple TV and a MacBook. I've paired the respective remotes to each and they don't bother each other.
That's not true. If you do it this way, your remote will still work with the mini and AppleTV. You've got to tell the computer to be loyal to a particular remote, rather than tell the remote to be loyal to the computer. What you've done is just tell each computer not to respond other remotes so it looks like the remotes are only controlling one device.

Forum Links
Forum Rules