Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Are YOU Getting the iPhone...?

View Poll Results: Are You Getting the iPhone the First Week of It's Release?
Poll Options:
Yes 40 votes (39.60%)
No 34 votes (33.66%)
Maybe 19 votes (18.81%)
I would if I had enough money 8 votes (7.92%)
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll
Are YOU Getting the iPhone...?
NateB
Jul 2, 2008, 01:27 AM

Are you getting the new hone 3G during the first week of it's release?
I, personally, plan on getting the iPhone when I find it most convenient. I will probably have one by the end of this July. My family and I are planning to switch to AT&T and get the family plan (hopefully it won't cost too much! ). Good thing is we get to keep our old numbers, that's always convenient.

Well, are you getting the iPhone the first week of release?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2008, 01:29 AM

Probably but not 100% sold on it, just yet. I may wait a few days and see how 2.0 software does on my current iPhone.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2008, 04:12 AM

Had a phonecall from 3 yesterday about upgrading (3 can contact me 3 months before the end of contract to upgrade and stay on 3, but to cancel or go to any other store, I have to wait til 1 month to go ).

I can't think of anything else that I'd WANT to replace my W850i with, maybe an SE C902, maybe a Viewty, but the iPhone just about seals it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 2, 2008, 04:46 AM

Yes I'll be getting it. I didn't wait around most of the last year with my Nokia 3210, and then inherit a Nokia 6315 that is less pleasant to use but at least has some battery life ... out of choice. I did it because there's no other phone I want . And while my brother was all getting them imported and unlocked, I said I'd wait for the official release ... so yeah I'll be getting it first day, if there are any left!

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 07:34 AM

I hope to be getting one here in Oz however no plan prices have been released from any of the mobile carriers (Vodafone, Telstra and Optus) and I'll only get one if the prices are reasonable.

And it will depend on stock availability - there are a lot of people here that want one. Wonder how many will be sold around the world in the first week?
this sig intentionally left blank

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 2, 2008, 07:53 AM

Most likely not--I have 3G coverage, but don't use the data connection often enough to warrant the extra expense. The triangulation "GPS" also works good enough for my purposes.

Once they are out for a bit, I may see what the market is for Gen. 1 iPhones on eBay and take the plunge, but for now, I'll pass.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2008, 08:19 AM

I have the EDGE iPhone and love it. The 2.0 software update will have everything I need. I'd planned on upgrading before I figured out that AT&T was going to jack my bill up by $25/mo. No, thank you, AT&T.

OH -- and Steve lying when he said it won't cost anyone more than $199 ticked me off. Even though I am eligible for the upgrade price, I'm still ticked that he lied.

I'll think about buying one if AT&T comes to their senses on the whole "requiring Enterprise Data plan for ActiveSync use" thing.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2008, 12:14 PM

I'm not getting one but I am in the process of advising my boss's wife on getting him one for his birthday. Rather timely...his birthday is the 6th.

I'm hoping that purchase makes it easier for the IT org to provide full support once iPhone 2.0 is out.

QS

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 12:34 PM

I don't have AT&T - let alone 3G - service in my state. But if I can get an original iPhone for cheap and get it working on a not-too-expensive plan, I may do that.

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
I'll think about buying one if AT&T comes to their senses on the whole "requiring Enterprise Data plan for ActiveSync use" thing.
I've read that too, but I really can't believe it's true.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 12:36 PM

I got one already you see.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 12:39 PM

I've got a 1st gen iPhone, so I'm going to wait until next year to upgrade. I'm still very happy with mine, and the 2.0 software will make it like a new phone in my eyes. Simply cannot wait for the App Store!

Of course, if my phone "happens" to break or get lost, I'll happily upgrade.

NateB  (op)
Jul 2, 2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I've got a 1st gen iPhone, so I'm going to wait until next year to upgrade. I'm still very happy with mine, and the 2.0 software will make it like a new phone in my eyes. Simply cannot wait for the App Store!

I don't blame you. If I had the first generation iPhone (and it's not damaged), then I would probably keep it and wait until later to by the 3G too.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 01:18 PM

Nope. I was going to buy two of them with a very expensive data plan that would have made AT&T a ton of money... but since they have decided that this loyal 6-year customers is not eligible for subsidized pricing I will not be buying one.

As a result...

They will lose money (about $1,440 dollars worth of data plan, and the price of the phones)
They have made a loyal customer upset

Slick move AT&T!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2008, 01:46 PM

I'm on the fence, maybe I will maybe I won't It will be one of those game time decisions.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post

Same here.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 02:46 PM

I would if I had the money.. but the new MacBook Pro takes priority. I'm really bummed my iPhone was stolen, I was perfectly happy with keeping my 1st gen iPhone for as long as it would last.

macdude
Jul 2, 2008, 02:55 PM

In short: probably not. It's a combination of lack of money and upgrade ineligibility.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Nope. I was going to buy two of them with a very expensive data plan that would have made AT&T a ton of money... but since they have decided that this loyal 6-year customers is not eligible for subsidized pricing I will not be buying one.

As a result...

They will lose money (about $1,440 dollars worth of data plan, and the price of the phones)
They have made a loyal customer upset

Slick move AT&T!
I hear ya. I'll make sure to let them know in no uncertain terms that though I'll get an iPhone, I'll be telling my parents and brother that they're better off staying with T-Mobile. AT&T can decide what, if anything, they feel like doing about that.

Hopefully it'll be like last time and there won't be reason to wait in line. Just show up whenever it's convenient and pick one up.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 03:27 PM

Probably not. Even thought the iphone is clearly the best out there the monthly charges are steep--even though they are the same as other smartphone charges. In my current plan, I have much more of what I actually use for a lot less money--like text messaging and more included minutes. The rest would be more or less a toy--but what a toy! ha ha.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 03:49 PM

Likely no f'in way- my monthly fee would go from $98 to around $170 a month (2 iPhones, messaging, 3G).
They'd have to take me out to dinner a few times AND give me a foot massage if they expect me to put out like that all the time.
Sure, it's a tax write-off, but the principle is absurd.

Yes, I'll probably get two.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 2, 2008, 04:13 PM

I got bills, and on top of that I'm already with Sprint. Soon enough though, soon enough.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2008, 07:31 PM

I've decided not to after seeing what it's going to cost me to upgrade. The iPhone 2.0 software will be enough of an upgrade for me....at least for now.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2008, 07:50 PM

I had been insisting I would upgrade the day they came out since last August when I got the 1st gen iPhone.

But after seeing the new phone will be an extra $180/yr on top of the extra $240/yr that the 1st gen phone is already, I won't be upgrading for the time being. Plus I am not traveling as much this year, which was how I justified it last year.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 07:58 PM

I voted no. The new AT&T plans are too high for me. Plus with 3G & GPS being the only significant hardware upgrades for this generation, I don't have much incentive to upgrade my 1st gen iPhone. Maybe next year when they release the 3rd gen iPhone.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2008, 08:54 PM

I would have, but I'm not eligible for subsidized pricing so I bought an iMac instead.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jul 2, 2008, 09:11 PM

I was going to purchase one because my phone was busted but I was able to switch out my old sim card and place it in a user samsung. Besides, I own an iPod Touch that has more room and the 2.0 software update will be more than enough to entertain me. Perhaps an iPod Touch 32gb or 64gb next time around.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 10:37 PM

I look forward to purchase the iPhone 3G on July 11. It will replace 2 phones that I am using right now. Last year, I did join the hype and wait in line for the iPhone. However, I sold it couple days later. This time of year, I am in. Meanwhile, I feel like the iPhone 3G may not be as hot as the predecessor.

dennett
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2008, 01:23 AM

We're planning on buying two, but we'll be waiting until the initial rush calms down...

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 3, 2008, 03:41 AM

I was planning on upgrading and even justified the $10 more a month but the $5 for 200 SMS is the straw that broke the camel's back. It was included in my current plan but AT&T chose to separate the SMS into yet another expense. SMS data is insignificant but AT&T charges a premium for it. No thanks AT&T, I'll stick with my 2G.
Who'sDaMac?

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by I'mDaMac View Post
I was planning on upgrading and even justified the $10 more a month but the $5 for 200 SMS is the straw that broke the camel's back. It was included in my current plan but AT&T chose to separate the SMS into yet another expense. SMS data is insignificant but AT&T charges a premium for it. No thanks AT&T, I'll stick with my 2G.
I agree. Also I live in an area where there is no 3G coverage. There's no sense in paying an extra $15 to get the same plan, using the same slow ass EDGE. Besides GPS and the normal headphone jack there really isn't that much difference.
GPS, neat, but I haven't had it yet so I'm not crying over missing it. The non-recessed headphone jack was actually a bigger deal to me. Not big enough to buy tho. I'll wait for the next full (non-storage upgrade) rev.

I do have to wonder how many people in the US are going to buy one because it's "3G" only to discover they don't live anywhere near 3G coverage...
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

dennett
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2008, 11:48 AM

Do you have link to an accurate map of 3G coverage? We live in the San Diego area, and I'm assuming that we'll have 3G coverage...

NateB  (op)
Jul 3, 2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by dennett View Post
Do you have link to an accurate map of 3G coverage? We live in the San Diego area, and I'm assuming that we'll have 3G coverage...
Here you are
AT&T Coverage Viewer

Michelle Steiner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2008, 01:14 PM

My iPhone was lost or stolen in late April; I've been patiently waiting for the 3G phone to come out so I could buy one to replace it. I'll be getting it on July 11.

NateB  (op)
Jul 3, 2008, 02:33 PM

I have now mad my decision. I will be purchasing the iPhone 3G the day it comes out (maybe the day after). I can't wait .

ccwillows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2008, 07:48 AM

I voted maybe. Initially it was too expensive, but I spoke with an ATT rep the other day who said they have approved corporate discounts on the 3g iPhone plans, including data. This is on the primary line only so, if you have a family plan, you would want the iPhone as the primary. If you have two iPhones, the second would not be discounted. This brings a 1400 minute family plan with one iPhone and one regular phone to about $112 incl. tax. (15% discount.)

I'll skip the SMS...can't stomach the fees.

All that said, my wife is still in our family Verizon contract through November. Should I wait and make a clean break with Verizon or go with separate plans for awhile? I'm thinking separate plans!

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2008, 05:09 PM

The #1 selling point for me is, well, MobileMe.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2008, 08:35 PM

I have a 1.0 iPhone and am happy with the speeds. I cannot see a real reason to upgrade at this point....especially considering the WiFi features. Maybe when iPhone reaches 3.0!

TGF
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2008, 08:36 PM

Just one more thing....

I do not have a contract and love it...go phone works nicely for me.

TGF
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2008, 11:10 PM

I really want to get one. It's a bit too expensive for me, but I have been wanting one since the original came out, so I figure it'll be worth it. I just have to keep convincing myself. Maybe it's how I was raised, but it just seems wrong to spend so much money on a phone. I'm having a hard time bringing myself to do it. However, the iPhone is so much more than a phone. It costs less than the original iPod and does a thousand times more, so it's not a bad deal really. And luckily, even though I don't qualify for the subsidized pricing, I can still get a refund for my current phone since I switched to AT&T less than a month ago, and put that money towards the iPhone.

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2008, 08:36 AM

I was one of those guys who was going to be the first one there, but now I am having second thoughts. And it's simply because AT&T service in my area just plain old sucks. Dropped calls, can't connect to edge, not me but a lot of others complain about the same thing. They only have 1 tower.

I love my iPhone though. But I have a lot of heart searching to do. Paying $300 to gain an extra 8 gigs is my only benefit. 3G most certainly won't be available here, but to put the icing on the cake AT&T is going to make me sign a new 2 year contract.

Meh.

NateB  (op)
Jul 5, 2008, 07:45 PM

I was looking around for an AT&T store today (I knew there was one in the area, I just wasn't sure where), so I decided to ask for directions. I thought, "Hmm, why not ask that Verizon store (my current carrier, but not for long )over there if they know where I can find one!" Sure enough, I pulled into a driving space and entered the store. One of the employees asked if he could help me with anything, I said that I was looking for an AT&T store nearest to here. He just laughed and said that it was across the street in the mall near the Bon-Ton.
I just thought I'd share that moment with you .

So, I went to the AT&T store, asked some questions about the family plan and what-not. My family is able to afford the plan. What's even better is that my dad works at Xerox, so we can get a promotional discount on the plan !
I decided that on the 11th, I'm going to go the the Apple store in the mall at 8am and wait in the (very long) line for the iPhone. Woohoo!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 6, 2008, 09:32 AM

The new version is a lot more appealing than the originals, but I still don't have a way to even use, much less really take advantage of all the features that make it a cool product. I'm not going to get one.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2008, 09:46 AM

In fact I am for sure not going to get one, and count the current days my contrct is up. Around here Verizon blows them away with date coverage, if only I liked the phones they made . AT&T needs to get on the bandwagon and offer better coverage soon.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2008, 10:20 AM

I bought the first iPhone in October of last year; I'll probably upgrade to the new 3G model within a month.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

Cold Warrior
Jul 6, 2008, 11:15 AM

I'll probably get one for Christmas and unlock it so I can use it outside the US (I use Verizon here). This assumes retailers offer it on a no-commitment basis like some of the rumor sites have mentioned.

dr.tech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2008, 05:29 PM

Would be getting one .. except for the outlandish rates being charged by Rogers in Canada

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2008, 12:27 PM

Back in March, when my wife's phone was breaking, I decided to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T. Got 2 Sony Ericsson W580i's, one for my wife and one to resell. I assumed AT&T would continue offering the new iPhone like the original, so I figured I was replacing her phone cheaply and preparing to have my own new iPhone.

When it came out that AT&T was treating the iPhone like any subsidized phone, I was disappointed, but I didn't bitch because nobody ever promised they wouldn't do it that way.

I was thinking of getting the 16GB model at $499, since I'd been expecting to pay that much in the first place, but then I realized the pricier plan adds an extra $240-360 over 2 years. Which again, would've been fine if I were getting the upgrade price, but...

Anyway, now my brother-in-law is giving me his 2.5G iPhone. Can't complain about that! AT&T says activating it won't affect my upgrade eligibility date. So I'll use my free iPhone 2.5G at the lower plan prices 'til August of next year, then upgrade to the highest capacity version of the next model iPhone. Pretty satisfied with how that worked out.

Thanks for reading, I'm sure you've all been fascinated.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2008, 01:02 PM

I already have a Touch... I don't need no stinking iPhone

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2008, 11:40 PM

Nope. Have a Touch, which is all I need for now.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

aepple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 08:10 AM

i upgraded my phone over a week ago with the DARE, awesome!

Forum Links
Forum Rules