Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > BestBuy customer service - f*cking idiots

BestBuy customer service - f*cking idiots
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2011, 01:48 PM

Just wanted to state a fact.

I don't want to bore you with the story, but avoid BestBuy customer service at all cost, they make monkeys look smart.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2011, 02:50 PM

Right. Unless you need something that Best Buy carries specifically and can't get it anywhere else conveniently, avoid Best Buy completely.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2011, 03:46 PM

Turtle: just so I understand the magnitude of ****ing idiots we are talking about here, if somebody pointed a gun at your head and made you choose between Lotus Notes, something Obama did, or Best Buy customer service, which would you choose?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 26, 2011, 04:41 PM

I'd choose option #4, the Han Solo option. Shoot first.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 26, 2011, 05:46 PM

It's not just the customer service.

Best Buy Cancels Some Online Orders Before Christmas | Moneyland | TIME.com
“Due to overwhelming demand of hot product offerings on BestBuy.com during the November and December time period, we have encountered a situation that has affected redemption of some of our customers’ online orders. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, and we have notified the affected customers.”

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2011, 08:35 PM

^ yep. a friend couldn't get his parent's camera in time for christmas because of that. It's backordered until middle of January. He could choose to either cancel the order, or wait for it. He chose to wait.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 26, 2011, 09:11 PM

I think Best Buy is only the most obvious retailer to have underestimated consumer demand this holiday season. While I have never had a bad enough experience to react the way turtle is, I can say that you can go to two different stores in the same zip code and get radically different levels of service. A couple of visits is all it takes to figure out whether you got the "short bus" store or the one where the cool kids shop. So stick with the cool kids store. I'm fortunate enough to have at least three Best Buy stores in a convenient travel radius that are all quite comfortable to shop at, but there's another store within that radius that I never visit because they are staffed, or at least managed, by morons.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2011, 12:39 AM

I wish there was a "choice" of BestBuy online stores. Alas, as soon as you talk bestbuy.com, customer service is a pile of shit.

-t

reader50
Administrator
Dec 27, 2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I think Best Buy is only the most obvious retailer to have underestimated consumer demand this holiday season.
Funny you should mention that. The product I was watching this year shot up in price and almost vanished from the market. Looks like someone (the manufacturer?) underestimated holiday demand.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
^ yep. a friend couldn't get his parent's camera in time for christmas because of that. It's backordered until middle of January. He could choose to either cancel the order, or wait for it. He chose to wait.
If it's a Sony or a Nikon, it's backordered because of Thailand.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2011, 12:23 AM

not as bad as those guys at REI

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2011, 09:59 PM

Bunch of Grinches. You should be thankful.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2011, 01:57 AM

If you wanted to buy a Plasma TV and if you wanted to buy it in a brick and mortar store, where would you go in LA?

PS: FedEx is even worse. Have you seen the YouTube video where a FedEx guy delivers a computer monitor by throwing it over the fence into the yard?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2012, 09:28 AM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2012, 09:50 AM

Good article, angel.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
not as bad as those guys at REI
You've had bad customer service experiences at REI? I've never found them to be anything other than very helpful at any of the locations I've been to.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2012, 12:31 PM

Wow, that really was an excellent article. Thanks angelmb!

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Spot on

-t

reader50
Administrator
Jan 2, 2012, 01:10 PM

Agreed, well written article.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2012, 05:55 PM

+1 on a very well written article. I bought a new camera at BB on BF and due to horrible customer service, I will never buy from them again. I will shop there, yes, but I will buy elsewhere.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2012, 06:30 PM

Just to add a nugget from my "case": the customer service monkeys assigned multiples ticket#s to my single case.
Of course, none of them was moving forward, but it made calling and inquiring about it a nightmare.

I finally got fed up and had Amex issue a back charge.

-t

Cold Warrior
Jan 2, 2012, 08:08 PM

If BB boots apple and sets up mini RIM stores, you know it's over soon than later. Don't buy that extended warranty.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2012, 12:45 AM

Really good article. I remember back in the day when I did a six month stint at ye old Best Buy in Winnipeg, we were constantly pressured to "pitch service." Of course service generally meant a "service plan" which was often a disservice since the plan included the possibility that your computer could be gone for up to six weeks for repairs. The warranties were generally more expensive than even Apple's, and I was one of the only staff who really had a real clue.
When I go there now (granted I do the same thing at the Apple Store) I leave my head phones in and avoid the sales staff.

At one point I was looking for RAM and a sales woman asked me if I needed anything. I asked her if she had PC2700 SO-DIMMs in, (I think? No idea what the number really was) and she just looked at me blankly.

I just bought my TV on boxing day sale from them, should get here tomorrow. But that's mostly because I got 200 dollars off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules