Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > number lines of selected text?

number lines of selected text?
Stefan
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2002, 03:01 PM

is there an OS X feature or a .service plugin or any other way that would let me number the lines of the selection within a text? i don't think the terminal could be useful here, because it is only some lines i want to have numbers, not the whole text. oh yeah: this is supposed to work with ye olde 10.1.5

actually i'm not sure to which board this would fit best. could also be a unix question, or at "Mac OS X"!?

flysky
Nov 8, 2002, 04:10 PM

Word Service (scroll down)

Stefan  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by flysky:
Word Service (scroll down)
flysky, i do have word.service installed already. but there is no option to number lines, only sort them. are you sure you have that option? if so, in which menu, "format" or "convert"?

flysky
Nov 8, 2002, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Stefan:

flysky, i do have word.service installed already. but there is no option to number lines, only sort them. are you sure you have that option? if so, in which menu, "format" or "convert"?
I'm not at my OS X box right now, so I'll have to check when I get home, but isn't it part of the statistics (where ever that's located--haven't used it for a while)?

flysky
Nov 9, 2002, 12:46 AM

Highlight text --> Services --> Statistics (Shift-Command-i)

Stefan  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by flysky:
Highlight text --> Services --> Statistics (Shift-Command-i)
sorry, that was a misunderstanding: you are right. the "statistic" option does count lines. thing is: i don't want the lines counted, i want them with numbers in front. i.e. i want:

line one text bla
line two text bla

to become:

1 line one text bla
2 line two text bla

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2002, 07:44 AM

sorry, that was a misunderstanding: you are right. the "statistic" option does count lines. thing is: i don't want the lines counted, i want them with numbers in front. i.e. i want:

line one text bla
line two text bla

to become:

1 line one text bla
2 line two text bla
Try this , I just wrote it up. It is a service that numbers lines of text. I must stress that I just wrote it up in the last hour or so more as a learning exercise than anything else. I have done very limited testing using it on Text Edit files. If it manages to destroy one of your documents or causes a kernel panic, don't whinge to me ok.

Copy the NumberLines.service file in the disk image to ~/Library/Services. Note: you may have to create this folder. Log out and log back in again and there should be a 'Number Lines' menu item in the Services menu when some text is selected. Hope it does what you want.

Wesley

Stefan  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 10:32 AM

spot on, wesley! this works perfectly. you'd absolutely make my day if there was an option to only number every fifth or tenth line, since i need this for numbering verses of poems. it would be absolutely perfect if empty lines could be excluded from being numbered. would this be hard to achieve? if it involves much work for you, don't bother. what you did already saved me hours of work.

thanks again
stefan

<edit>the only little problem i've encountered so far, is that your service shows up in the dock as a running program</edit>
( Last edited by Stefan; Nov 9, 2002 at 12:25 PM. )

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2002, 06:29 AM

spot on, wesley! this works perfectly. you'd absolutely make my day if there was an option to only number every fifth or tenth line, since i need this for numbering verses of poems. it would be absolutely perfect if empty lines could be excluded from being numbered. would this be hard to achieve? if it involves much work for you, don't bother. what you did already saved me hours of work.

thanks again
stefan

<edit>the only little problem i've encountered so far, is that your service shows up in the dock as a running program</edit>
Thanks for the feedback. If I'm looking for something to do one night I might look into the options you suggested. As for it coming up as an runinng program I'm not sure if there is any way around this, I am new to it though. To my knowledge all Services launch the application that provides them but if you know different let me know.

Wesley

Forum Links
Forum Rules