Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook, new member!

New iBook, new member!
Robbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 07:05 AM

Hi all,
Just ordered a 1Ghz iBook, bog-standard - getting pretty excited, as I should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday!
Been using a Mac properly for about a year. When me and the ex-girlfriend had enough to buy a computer last year I MADE her get an iMac 15" - took some real doing I can tell you. She had all the usual worries - file transfer between Mac and PC, what if it goes wrong, not sure I can use one blablabla.....
Suffice to say, she can now do absolutely anything she needs to be able to on it and dislikes the very idea of Windows
Me, I've been wanting to switch since about 1999. Back then I had a PIII POS that would barely stay alive from one week to the next, whilst a good friend of mine spent what I considered to be a ridiculous amount of money on a B+W G3. Didn't take me long to change my mind!
So yeah, it took me 4 years to get to a position where I could afford a Mac (they ARE more expensive!) but it's a decision I haven't regretted for one second. All my friends are frankly bored with me eulogising about the things (although I think the iBook may come in useful to convert a few that can't quite get what I mean about superior industrial design and ease-of-use!).
Been lurking here for about 9 months, learning a hell of a lot about what to go for and what to leave - anyone that's contributed to threads about reliability and the like , you've made my mind up for me!

techtrucker
Senior User
Jul 3, 2004, 08:57 AM

Congrats, you'll love it! I'd be lost without mine (14" 933), I spend most of my time on it even though I have a more powerful desktop machine.
Only recommendation: add in some memory if you haven't ordered it with additional memory. It does make a difference.

Steve W
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

webb3201
Senior User
Jul 3, 2004, 12:57 PM

Enjoy. I have used my 900 14" exclusively this year and have not looked back. You will love the durability and stability.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

fastback
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 02:12 PM

Have fun with your iBook, Robbo.

oreo75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 04:10 PM

congratulations on getting an iBook, I've got one & love it so much. I've also got a desktop pc, which I use for late night chatting (the new version of Yahoo messenger is so much better on pc), don't have to worry about the beer ruining too much then & playing my music from. I can't wait until I get the airport express & then the pc won't really get any use.

Robbo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
Congrats, you'll love it! I'd be lost without mine (14" 933), I spend most of my time on it even though I have a more powerful desktop machine.
Only recommendation: add in some memory if you haven't ordered it with additional memory. It does make a difference.

Steve W
I'll do the RAM upgrade when my credit-card's speaking to me again! Been working with this 15" iMac with stock 256MB and 800Mhz processor for long enough to deal with it for a while longer
iMac 15"
iBook 1Ghz 12"
Panasonic SL-CT510 CD/MP3 Walkman
Bose Triport headphones

techtrucker
Senior User
Jul 3, 2004, 05:48 PM

I hear you, I used this iBook for a few weeks with the stock ram till cash was flowing again. But it would be the first thing I do. Next on the list is Airport Extreme, I'm sitting on our deck sipping on a drink while typing this. And printing a PDF to the printer all the way on the other side of the house.

Steve W
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Robbo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
I hear you, I used this iBook for a few weeks with the stock ram till cash was flowing again. But it would be the first thing I do. Next on the list is Airport Extreme, I'm sitting on our deck sipping on a drink while typing this. And printing a PDF to the printer all the way on the other side of the house.

Steve W
I'm hearing that! I'd like to at least get an AP card so I can upload to my band's site from Starbuck's whilst we're on tour - the idea of going back to dial-up for any reason gives me a shiver......
iMac 15"
iBook 1Ghz 12"
Panasonic SL-CT510 CD/MP3 Walkman
Bose Triport headphones

scsilogic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 04:15 PM

I haven't used anything Apple since I had a Macintosh LC. I have been using various versions of Windows because of gaming. I was recently in Sacramento, to move my stuff out of storage and back to Wyoming. Besides Fry's, my favorite store is the Apple store in the Arden Fair mall. Just going in to look, it took me 10 minutes from entering to look at the 12 inch, go to the 14", purchase the 14" iBook and start being a true Mac head again. My laptop bag with the old school Apple logo on it can start being used to carry something other than beer and books. Anyhow, I go the 1 GHz, 256 for memory and the stock 40 HD. Impulse buying didn't allow me to realize I could have skipped tax by ordering it. Its running fine, although I have some serious OS questions, and questions about securing my system. 256 Megs of Ram what I had on my old Windows XP 500 Mhz Celeron system, and this baby deserves more than that thats for sure. Just wanted to say hi, and glad to finally be able to post from a Mac, I had been holding off on that until I could truly be a member of the Mac community. Anyhow, I would recommend anyone to purchase an iBook, I have been ripping my music for the last three days and sleeping less and less.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by scsilogic:
I haven't used anything Apple since I had a Macintosh LC. I have been using various versions of Windows because of gaming. I was recently in Sacramento, to move my stuff out of storage and back to Wyoming. Besides Fry's, my favorite store is the Apple store in the Arden Fair mall. Just going in to look, it took me 10 minutes from entering to look at the 12 inch, go to the 14", purchase the 14" iBook and start being a true Mac head again. My laptop bag with the old school Apple logo on it can start being used to carry something other than beer and books. Anyhow, I go the 1 GHz, 256 for memory and the stock 40 HD. Impulse buying didn't allow me to realize I could have skipped tax by ordering it. Its running fine, although I have some serious OS questions, and questions about securing my system. 256 Megs of Ram what I had on my old Windows XP 500 Mhz Celeron system, and this baby deserves more than that thats for sure. Just wanted to say hi, and glad to finally be able to post from a Mac, I had been holding off on that until I could truly be a member of the Mac community. Anyhow, I would recommend anyone to purchase an iBook, I have been ripping my music for the last three days and sleeping less and less.
As far as I know, you still have to pay tax ordering it online, because Apple has a "corporate presence" in all 50 states. So be happy! If you'd ordered it, you would've had to wait to get it! Immediate gratification is where it's at!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules