Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrading CPU in a B&W

Upgrading CPU in a B&W
halfprep455
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 08:13 PM

Someone gave me an old powermac b&w g3 a few days ago. I had an old g4 400mhz CPU laying aroundand I was wondering if the g4 CPU will work in the b&w.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2007, 08:16 AM

It depends what kind of socket the CPU you have is designed for. The B&W will take processors designed for the ZIF socket (a large square grid of pins) - looks like this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/images/Tech/beigeg3/5.jpg

DrBoar
Senior User
Feb 19, 2007, 04:59 AM

If you want to have slightly more speed an other option is to overclock the G3! (Accelerate Your Mac! - Yosemite Info) Allmost all B&W OC 50 MHz, some even 100 MHz and very few 150 MHz. I have used old harddisk jumpers to set the clock speed
Cheap and safe. A G4 will have marginal speed gains compared to a G3 if it not altivec code

P
Feb 19, 2007, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post
If you want to have slightly more speed an other option is to overclock the G3! (Accelerate Your Mac! - Yosemite Info) Allmost all B&W OC 50 MHz, some even 100 MHz and very few 150 MHz. I have used old harddisk jumpers to set the clock speed
Cheap and safe. A G4 will have marginal speed gains compared to a G3 if it not altivec code
The gain for a G4 over a G3 is 15% for mixed code, but larger for pure floating point code. If the G4 will fit, your best bet is to do both: install the G4 and then overclock. The G4 should run at 450 MHz at least.

EDIT: Note that Apple uses Altivec extensively throughout the OS (9 and X), including in many memory operations. It accelerates more things than you think.
( Last edited by P; Feb 19, 2007 at 08:14 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules