Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Local CLI F@H setup for dual G5?

Local CLI F@H setup for dual G5?
DrBoar
Senior User
Oct 14, 2009, 04:05 AM

I got two dual G5s that I want to set up to run fold@home. As the SMP client is Intel only I have to use the CLI of fah5 and then use the local option to set up one of the clients.

I have forgotten how to do it! As I really need that 8 GHz G5 working for me to keep up with the folding all help is wellcome

reader50
Administrator
Oct 14, 2009, 06:57 AM

Expand the client download - you should have a folder. Keep the download archive - you'll be using it for more instances.

Name the new folder "fold1" or something like that.
Inside that folder, edit the client.cfg file.
Code:
username={your username} team=16 machineid=1 {other lines not shown}
Note the "machineid" - on subsequent F@H instance folders, increment this. F@H will get very confused if any two instances claim the same machineid.

You could cd into the folder and launch it manually, but I chose to create a start file which appends my preferred control flags. I called this file "start" to keep things simple:
Code:
#!/bin/sh ./fah5 -local -forceasm -pause -verbosity 9
-local = use the folder the client is in, rather than the standard data location.
-forceasm = force altivec code activation if available.
-pause = stop client after current WU completes. (see below)
-verbosity 9 = print out all progress info in Terminal window. (optional)

The "-pause" flag is normally left off. It's in my file because I used it to pause after finishing the last work unit. To make it not download another. So the file will normally look like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh ./fah5 -local -forceasm -verbosity 9
Open a Terminal window. cd into that folder.
Code:
cd {drag & drop folder here} {press Return} ./start
It is normally my habit to keep the window open, so I didn't add the jazz to make Folding keep running after the window is closed. If your G5s are dedicated F@H crunchers, then you'll want to keep the window attached too. In case you want to interrupt for an orderly shutdown.

Repeat above steps for additional instances. Rename the client folders "fold2", "fold3", etc. In their client.cfg files, increment the machineid number for each new instance.
machineid=2
machineid=3
etc.
( Last edited by reader50; Oct 14, 2009 at 07:06 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules