Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Camino and Google Plus?

Camino and Google Plus?
Jens Peter
Senior User
Aug 1, 2011, 11:20 AM

Hi,

I'm having problems accessing Google Plus when using the Camino browser, this is the result:

Am I the only one experiencing this 'feature' ? I hate to switch browser just to use G+...

(Oh, I'm using the newest Camino, 2.0.7)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2011, 11:37 AM

Starting with Firefox 4 Mozilla dropped the embedding support for the Gecko engine. Therefore Camino is forever locked to the Gecko engine that was in Firefox 3.6. If you want to use more modern features, you have to switch your browser.

Jens Peter  (op)
Senior User
Aug 1, 2011, 02:56 PM

Ahh, I did not know that, thanks!

Then I guess I have to find a new browser - too bad, Camino is really nice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2011, 04:49 PM

Not necessarily — Camino is reportedly planned to be reborn as a WebKit-based browser.

WebKit best option for Camino as Mozilla drops Gecko embedding

Might actually be a nice replacement for what Shiira used to be, way back when.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2011, 05:11 PM

While it was kind of cute back in 2004, what's the motivation for using a basic browser with a small userbase?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2011, 07:02 PM

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I like the WebKit engine and how it integrates cleanly with the OS and uses native facilities, but I miss some of the more advanced features such as type-ahead find and toolbar keywords which Apple seems to be loath to add to Safari due to the need to maintain its "basic browser" status.

Being open source also means that there's the potential to reintroduce features into it like SnapBack, which is one of the Safari features that I really liked and which I've rather missed since they removed it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2011, 08:53 PM

Speaking for myself, I like Camino because it works, never has given me trouble, and has a pleasant interface. I switched when Safari was going nuts and freezing my machine. I don't like FF's look, and Chrome is just too shiny for my taste, although it is fast. I find Camino to be stable, mature, and un-quirky. I hope they do rebirth it as CharlesS suggests.

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2011, 08:28 AM

I tried Camino (have wanted to like it since it was Chimera) but always find something lacking and dump it. Same goes for Opera...want to like it but not ready for prime time. Camino's UI is nice and is Mac-like...Firefox seems clunky and doesn't fit in well with OSX.

Forum Links
Forum Rules