Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My first bike!!

My first bike!!
d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 07:07 AM

My first bike. I love it! Took me 26 years to get one, and now I finally do.
It's a brand new Suzuki Bandit 650, Model 05. Has 78hp and ABS. Weighs 201kg with empty tank, which can hold 20 liters, so about 220kg loaded. Has an analog RPM meter (till 12k RPM) and a big digital speedometer, which also displays traveled distance, fuel status, hour... The red LED on the RPM meter is the ABS, it goes off once going over 10km/h. Comes standard with Bridgestones (very good ones they tell me).
Got my suit, helmet and everything the same day. Hein Gericke suit & tankbag (not in pics), Oxtar boots, and a Roof helmet. I took off all the ugly stickers, and well as standard plastic ugly *ss mirrors. I do like the alu logo on the tank, better than the sticker from previous models, so I left those on there. Installed falling blocks as well, better safe than sorry.
I haven't driven much yet, about 150km since last week, cause I still need to complete the mandatory 6 hour practise course for my license, and they have a waiting list...
Should be done the 19th of oct.

Oh yea, 6 speeds, and they say top speed 225-235km/h. That still remains to be tested

( Last edited by d.fine; Oct 7, 2005 at 08:04 AM. )

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 07:12 AM

Nice.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2005, 08:05 AM

Very nice.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 08:11 AM

Nice ride.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2005, 08:25 AM

first bike = 650?
damn, my first bike was 100cc >_<
next bike = 500+

congrats, man. jealous of the newness.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 08:40 AM

Thanks.

Yea, I was out for a Bandit 1200, they had some good deals on them, model 03 and 04. But hey were all out, plus they guy at the garage recommended a 650 as a first. Much more pleasure, and overall a better learning experience. My uncle drives a 1200 and that beast kicks *ss.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 07:26 PM

Hein Gericke (butchered spelling on my part) is exceptional gear! Good job! And yes, Bridgestone tires (probably a new versio of the Battleaxe line) are good as well!

Congrats! Enjoy!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2005, 07:32 PM

congrats! my first bike was a 750, next one will be a 1450... someday.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 03:21 AM

Congrats, Man! Lookin' good.

I, too, am jealous.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 8, 2005, 03:29 AM

I'm not jalous, but I congratulate you the same way. Take care and have fun with your new bike.

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
Hein Gericke (butchered spelling on my part) is exceptional gear! Good job! And yes, Bridgestone tires (probably a new versio of the Battleaxe line) are good as well!

Congrats! Enjoy!
Battlax BTO20R (rear) and Battlax BTO11F (front) it says. And yea, they told me Hein Gericke was one of the best, and since I plan on riding everyday to work, I didn't want to skimp on a good suit and helmet, should something happen. Besides, they were having an action 'buy a jacket get matching pants for half the price' so I couldn't let it be. Saved me 150euros on the whole thing.

Volks
Oct 8, 2005, 08:50 AM

At crucial points in the novel, a twitch occurs, and Jack assigns it significant importance. Later in the novel, Jack briefly espouses the belief that all life is "The Great Twitch".
( Last edited by Volks; Jan 30, 2006 at 12:16 AM. )

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 10:38 AM

Maybe, but the guy in the picture is stupid. On a bike with nothing more than shorts and a t-shirt... and the guy in the car just drove through a red light.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Volks
What's shocking is bikes are so unsafe, yet we hear nothing about it. Every year more motorcyclists are killled than unintentional deaths from firearms.

[IMG]<snip> crash img <snip>[/IMG]
What makes bike's so unsafe is (mostly) idiotic land squids in 4 wheeled death mobiles who are unconscious behind the wheel. Of all of my recent close calls, the vast majority involved an idiot blathering on their cell phone while driving and not paying attention.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by d.fine
and the guy in the car just drove through a red light.
So? That will always happen. You can be the best biker in the world, that doesn't mean you have control over other peoples cars.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
So? That will always happen. You can be the best biker in the world, that doesn't mean you have control over other peoples cars.
...and obviously it is too much to ask for people to be in control of their own cars.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2005, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
...and obviously it is too much to ask for people to be in control of their own cars.
Exactly. In an accident it is always someone's fault, or the weather.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2005, 01:17 PM

I think the point is, you are at a much greater danger being in on a bike than in a car. That's just the way it is. I'm just learning how to ride a bike. I'm learning on my dad's 1100, which everyone tells me is pretty big and I should start on something smaller. It's in the shop now anyway so I only had one day to try it but it was pretty damn heavy. I'm considering finding something inexpensive and smaller to learn on/ride to work on.

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 01:25 PM

Greater danger? Why? More vulnerable in some situations... yes, doens't mean the danger is greater. When involved in an accident I agree the danger is greater, because you have less protection.

People just need to remember they're not alone on the road, and keep their eyes open. Plus they need to respect the motorcycles more. Everyone I know that drives a bike tells me to drive 2/3 to the left of the lane, to make cars pass you properly, otherwise they'll just pass you like a bicycle or pedestrian.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2005, 06:14 PM

d.fine, I'm not exactly sure why you have a problem with my words "greater danger." You admit that you are vulnerable. That's my point precisely. If you get in an accident on a bike, you are almost assuredly to go away injured. Limiting the "greater danger" to only in an accident makes no sense. What other scenario would I be referencing that would be dangerous. Since you don't know when an accident is going to happen, you are always at greater danger... er more vulnerable.

Don't take this to mean I'm telling you not to ride a bike. I completely agree with you that dumb drivers in cars are the problem. All I'm saying is that it doesn't matter if the car driver is at fault--you are the one going to the hospital. The car driver will probably be able to drive their car away.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2005, 08:47 PM

really nice bike. listen to Xeo.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 09:07 PM

There's danger and risk involved in most anything worth doing. My mom is doing a full-court press to keep me from getting a bike .. using The Safety Issue (tm) to dissuade me. I get that she's just worried, but you just gotta live.

Dying or being seriously injured on a motorcycle is something every rider has to weigh. The risk is certainly greater than being behind the wheel of the SUVs many Americans choose to motor back and forth to the grocery store, getting their 14 MPG while - out of the other corner of their mouth - bitching about the price of gas.

As a former and hopefully future motorcyclist, I plan to prepare myself as best I can to minimize, not eliminate, but minimize that risk. I'll take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (www.msf-usa.org) RiderCourse .. I'll dress properly and I'll ride defensively. Even with all that, risk is there. I'm willing to accept that risk. I think most bikers know the risks and have also chosen to accept it.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

shrugs*
Oct 9, 2005, 12:44 AM

I've been riding street for about 4 years now (dirt for over 12)-- I'm 19.

First bike was a CBR600F2, then a few weeks later I picked up a CBR900RR for track usage only.

I broke both my wrists on the 600 (cager made an illegal turn in front of me), and a few broken ribs.. and a foot. And some other less than vital stuff.

On the track I've only gotten some minor bruises and what not (low-sided twice on the same damn turn).

Motorcyles are dangerous, but there's nothing else in the world like it. If automotive technology moved like motorcycle's did.. we'd all be in Ferraris and Bentleys by now.

Both my babies are gone for now, but now that I'm finished school.. an Aprilia is in order. Or, dare I say.. a Ducati?

Ah well. Watch out for cagers and mothers. Or people in forums who don't have the same tastes of our breed.

God speed, bro. Good to see you in gear.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2005, 02:23 AM

I've seen a a couple of really bad car accidents. More really bad car/pedestrian accidents. And a helluva lot of really bad car accidents. You are always at risk when you can't control the actions of those around you. If you are on a bike, you need to be more aware, because the people driving cars probably won't be.

My first bike was a FJ1200, but I learned to ride and got my experience on a 920 Virago of my uncle's, and I probably should have started on something smaller. It was still a big bike for a 16 year old. Good choice on the Bandit 650 for a starter bike. I notice a lot of bike forums recommend it for beginners.

Have fun and be safe.
Nemo me impune lacesset

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Xeo
d.fine, I'm not exactly sure why you have a problem with my words "greater danger." You admit that you are vulnerable. That's my point precisely. If you get in an accident on a bike, you are almost assuredly to go away injured. Limiting the "greater danger" to only in an accident makes no sense. What other scenario would I be referencing that would be dangerous. Since you don't know when an accident is going to happen, you are always at greater danger... er more vulnerable.
I disagree with the words you use because I believe everyone is in 'great danger' while driving. You can get hit by a truck while driving your SUV and the effect will be same as when hit by a car while driving a bike. The risk is the same to everyone at any given time.

It doesn't matter how expensive or safe the car is, an accident can happen on a weak spot, and that's done then.

I use the word 'vulnerability' because I agree bikers are more vulnerable in an accident situation, but not when on the road. So the 'greater danger' applies to everyone, and not just bikers. Bikes can have an edge in certain situations, meaning then can get away a lot quicker, or they can avoid an object or car more easily, and things like those can give us a small advantage in some specific situations.

If you're paying attention and you sense an accident happening, you can always jump off the bike and get away. In a car or SUV it would take a lot longer to do that, probably too long.

While I agree with everyone that bikers should be more carefull on the road because of the increased 'vulnerability' in accident situations, I don't agree that it would be just us that drive while in 'greater danger'. But that's just me...

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by shrugs*
God speed, bro. Good to see you in gear.
Thanks, I would never do without, that would be just plain stupid, like the guy in the accident picture posted earlier.

So maybe an Aprilia or Duke soon éy? That's a whole different breed of bike...

d.fine  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 08:52 AM

Added a personal touch

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 12:08 PM

I learned to bike a couple of years ago (through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses), and from my experiences, I have to agree with Xeo. Bikers are in "greater danger" when compared to four-wheelers, and nearly at all times, and for a number of reasons. Among those reasons:

Motorcycles have very low visual profile. A generally safe driver can miss a motorcyclist under a number of conditions because of this, so bikers have to go out of their way to make themselves more visible (which is why so many experienced bikers wear bright biking gear and deck their bikes out in otherwise obnoxious lights and adornments, or make their bikes loud enough so that other drivers can at least hear them nearby).

Motorcycles have to deal with the equilibrium issue, which four wheelers do not. A biker can [potentially] get into a very serious accident with or without the assistance of another motorist, for example: you misjudge a turn and go into it at the wrong speed, and have to overcompensate on the brakes and wipe out; you hit a slick patch of asphalt that you didn't see (and you won't catch them all) and your rear wheel spins out, causing you to wipe out; your front wheel starts to wobble, and knowing how difficult it can be to get this under control in enough time, the wobble worsens until the rider gets tossed off.

Four wheelers have to worry about none of these things, and on top of that have the added physical protection over a motorcycle. I make sure that I realize that I am in greater danger compared to the average motorist every time I hit the road, and I ride much more cautiously and defensively because of it.

Beautiful bike, by the way. Congrats, and have plenty of fun.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by d.fine
I disagree with the words you use because I believe everyone is in 'great danger' while driving. You can get hit by a truck while driving your SUV and the effect will be same as when hit by a car while driving a bike. The risk is the same to everyone at any given time.

It doesn't matter how expensive or safe the car is, an accident can happen on a weak spot, and that's done then.

I use the word 'vulnerability' because I agree bikers are more vulnerable in an accident situation, but not when on the road. So the 'greater danger' applies to everyone, and not just bikers. Bikes can have an edge in certain situations, meaning then can get away a lot quicker, or they can avoid an object or car more easily, and things like those can give us a small advantage in some specific situations.
All I have to say is that my dad was a x-ray technician on the weekend shift for about 20 years. And thats why he never let me get a bike.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2005, 03:48 PM

Very nice. Great to see another Bandit fan. I've been putting a ton of miles on mine here in the mountains, I got it back in the summer of 2002.

Yes, it's dangerous. So is stepping out of my house on a daily basis. One is much more funner then the other though :-)

And I do go out in full gear all the time. I can count the times I have not worn a helmet/jacket/boots/pants on the bike on one hand, and they were all when I was moving the bike a few hundred feet at most. Motorcycle gear greatly increases my survivability if anything does go wrong. I just wish more riders would realize this.
<This space under renovation>

acadian
Senior User
Oct 15, 2005, 04:39 PM

Mehhhhh...carbon fibre...where's the fun?

me on my '73 Triumph Tiger 750...

people ruin everything....

acadian
Senior User
Oct 15, 2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
I've seen a a couple of really bad car accidents. More really bad car/pedestrian accidents. And a helluva lot of really bad car accidents. You are always at risk when you can't control the actions of those around you. If you are on a bike, you need to be more aware, because the people driving cars probably won't be.

My first bike was a FJ1200, but I learned to ride and got my experience on a 920 Virago of my uncle's, and I probably should have started on something smaller. It was still a big bike for a 16 year old. Good choice on the Bandit 650 for a starter bike. I notice a lot of bike forums recommend it for beginners.

Have fun and be safe.
I started riding when I was 16 years old and stopped when I was 19 due to a near life ending accident I was involved in. During those early years I was both irresponsible and unlicensed. Last year, at the age of 31, I decided to start riding again and do it properly. I have since completed 3 safety course (2 at the top of my class) and make sure I do my best to adhere to all the safe riding lessons I recieved (hand signalling etc...) When it comes right down to it, in any altercation between a car and a bike, the bike will lose...without fail. The key, as I was taught, is to use the motorcycle's superior handling, acceleration and braking characteristics to avoid the altercation altogether. You may not win when involved in a collision but if you know what you are doing you can avoid one better than almost anything on the road.
people ruin everything....

nbnz
Senior User
Oct 15, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by acadian
Mehhhhh...carbon fibre...where's the fun?

me on my '73 Triumph Tiger 750...

dude, nice bike!
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2005, 06:44 PM

I've been in a motorcycle accident and narrowly avoided a few. Riding in the city is insane, I would never ride a motorcycle with those idiot drivers. You are invisible to them. The country is where you have fun with a motorcycle anyway. Open roads and little traffic make it much safer. I always felt the slightly greater risk was worth it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules