Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which notebook stand would you choose?

Which notebook stand would you choose?
AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 10:20 PM

For a notebook stand to use while it's being a desktop replacement, which of these two would you recommend and why?

LapVantage Dome

or

Griffin Curve
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2003, 10:43 PM

From what I understand, both have advantages/disadvantages over eachother. For example the iCurve allows you to store the Keyboard directly under the powerbook, and has a great air flow around and under it. On the other hand it cant be used for typing as it is quite springy. The Dome is , to the contrary, very stable, and can be used at different heights. Compared to the iCurve though, it does not help in dissipating the heat, as the powerbook lies flat on a platform. I guess it could all break down to personal preference on looks.. :]

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 10:50 PM

Wow, nice comparison man...thanks a bunch...in knowing that, here's my main question:

With a 17" PowerBook on it, which will be more stable. On a college dorm desk, I want something that can get accidentally smacked by a dislusioned roommate and not spill my PowerBook on the floor.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

redmac1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 04:50 PM

Personally.. I'd opt for a Podium Coolpad

http://www.roadtools.com

That is what I use. VERY stable. I actually ordered the icurve from Griffin. I thought I would use it for my Tibook 1Ghz. I have an external keyboard and mouse and thought it would work great to use the book as the monitor. Well.. the book sat about 1/4" lower on one side than the other. VERY annoying.. I was going to return it and I figured.. heck, it's just plastic, I'll bend it up a touch. Welll.. it's VERY fragile. It snapped. I dropped a quick email to griffin explaining, hoping perhaps they would do something (admittedly it WAS my fault, but the thing was crooked).

NEVER even got a reply. So I just went back to the coolpad. Heard a number of good customer service type stories about them too. Lifetime warranty.

Good stuff
Mike

AmyLR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2003, 04:19 AM

A few months back I bought the special price for 2 Cool Pads--1 was a slightly smaller one great for travelling and the other was slightly larger, great for a desk. I gave the larger one to my husband for his Thinkpad and I kept the smaller one for my 14" iBook.

The Cool Pad works great with my iBook and I'm sure that it'll work well with my 12: G4 as well when it FINALLY gets here.

~Amy
With a 'chute, computer and LAN cord, here I go GERONIMO!!

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2003, 05:50 AM

I have made my own stand after looking for a stand just like yourself. Made one for my brother as well, and they work perfectly!
Give me your email, or somewhere to post the pic of the stand!

I had a look at that plastic thingy, and thought it was quite expensive for a bent piece of plastic. Mine does not look as cool, but does the job.

If you want to place your computer at a desk in a dorm, you would probably love to have somewhere to store you keyboard...that is if you have a keyboard.
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2003, 08:15 AM

James, yep, when my future 17" PowerBook isn't in my bookbag getting hauled around, it's going to be permanently stationed on my desktop acting as a desktop machine, and that's why I want a stand, so it'll be easier on the eyes and also easier to attach & use the external keyboard/mouse that I will *definitely* be using. From what I've heard now, I've pretty much scratched the iCurve out...just seems to fragile (already expected it by the looks of it), and if you want to send a pic., shoot one to [email protected]
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2003, 07:53 PM

I just got an iCurve. Its a really nice stand, I would not listen to the naysayers - what do you people want... its a stand not some tough thing you toss around your house. Thing is, I think it fits iBooks the best, and while it fits the 15" powerbook I use just fine, it might look a bit strange with the monster 17" model.

That iMac wannabe stand looks horrid and should tilt like the iCurve. Plus, it doesnt even help the poor machines ventilation, so expect the fan on just as much.

While you are at it, get a PowerMate (also from Griffin Technologies), I just got that too and love it already.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2003, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the posts so far!

Honestly, either one looks fine to me so comestics aren't an issue. And the tilting won't REALLY help considering I will never use the built-in keyboard while it's on the stand, right?

And I'm really worried that with 17" of notebook on that tiny iCurve it'll have a tendency to tip, no?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2003, 01:23 AM

I'm planning to get a MacAlly IcePad for my 12" PB (I would have provided a link, but MacAlly's web site is down). It doesn't elevate the laptop as high as the two you're considering, but the nice thing about it is it doubles as a laptop desk (or should that be "undoubles" since it actually unfolds:-).

redmac1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 09:04 PM

Just wanted to mention that I sent Griffin another email about the iCurve that I had broken (see previous post). They replied same day, and shipped me a new one at no charge. All they wanted was for me to send a "piece" of the broken one back or email them a picture showing it was broken (I emailed a picture).

I still like the roadtools stand, but at least Griffin came thru in the support column. Just an update...

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by redmac1:
Just wanted to mention that I sent Griffin another email about the iCurve that I had broken (see previous post). They replied same day, and shipped me a new one at no charge. All they wanted was for me to send a "piece" of the broken one back or email them a picture showing it was broken (I emailed a picture).

I still like the roadtools stand, but at least Griffin came thru in the support column. Just an update...
Thanks for the update man...sounds like extremely nice customer service!

Has anyone actually used the LapVantage Dome or Deluxe Dome w/ an iBook/PowerBook? I'd like to hear some actual user reviews if there are any.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Burn
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2003, 09:50 PM

Definitely the iCurve.

The Lapvantage has a giant flat platform, that your book sits on (ANY improved cooling?) The iCurve allows total free air flow around your laptop.

I have noticed significant cooling improvements with mine.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 10:03 PM

You state a "giant platform"...remember I'll be using it with the 17" PowerBook, so in my case, that'd be a pro instead of a con.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Thanks for the update man...sounds like extremely nice customer service!

Has anyone actually used the LapVantage Dome or Deluxe Dome w/ an iBook/PowerBook? I'd like to hear some actual user reviews if there are any.
I actually own the Dome Deluxe and did a user review of it for http://reviews.macnn.com .

Dasilvetz was incorrect above- the Dome and Dome Deluxe come with rubber 3M bump-ons which lift the back edge of the laptop for greater circulation.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 10:12 PM

GREAT!!! Thanks a bunch!! Also, have you ever used the regular Dome (non-Deluxe model)? Any major differences making the Deluxe worth the extra $30?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2003, 10:23 PM

GREAT!!! Thanks a bunch!! Also, have you ever used the regular Dome (non-Deluxe model)? Any major differences making the Deluxe worth the extra $30?
I didn't have the opportunity to use the regular dome, but the real difference is in the height-adjustable neck. If you need that extra inch of height and the swivel, go for the deluxe.

If you don't need swivel or height adjustable neck, the regular dome is the one for you.

http://lapvantage.com/keepcool <-- the feet I mentioned before.

For myself, I like the dome deluxe. It fits the way I want to do things.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 10:29 PM

Ahh...those feet are nice, definitely will help in cooling.

And I guess my biggest concern (since I wouldn't mind not having the adjustable neck/swivel) is the base. Is the clear base worth $30 for the looks? Or would the base plastic one look fine?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

SuperGroove
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2003, 10:35 PM

I purchased an iCurve as well as a Logitech Elite Keyboard.

The iCurve gets a lot of "wows" from my friends, and NEVER does the fan come on from extended, intense usage.

The iCurve is not small, but the 17" is a just HUGE. Don't worry about your PB falling off. There is sufficient adhesion to keep my Rev. C TiBook from falling off.
Please could you stay awhile to share my grief, for its such a lovely day to have to always feel this way.
-Portishead

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 10:41 PM

SuperGroove, in using an external mouse/keyboard, does the iCurve allow your TiBook to set at an angle that's easy on your eyes and it convient? Like doesn't cause neck strain or anything? And how sturdy is it (not from the TiBook sitting on it, but from it sitting on the table)?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

SuperGroove
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2003, 11:24 PM

The main reason why I got the iCurve, was to alleviate the ache I had in my neck after hours of use. It's great now, and the display actually seems acceptably large now. Or at least, it looks larger at eye level as opposed to when it's not on a stand.

The ICurve is thick plastic. It's fairly light, but I have to say the construction is very good. If I were to drop it, it probably wouldn't break. Let me try...

Yep didn't break from dropping it at waist level.

Buy one. It looks bitchin, and it prevented me from buying a larger display.
Please could you stay awhile to share my grief, for its such a lovely day to have to always feel this way.
-Portishead

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 11:27 PM

Thanks a bunch SuperGroove...much appreiciated!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2003, 05:03 AM

Anyone use the "Sei Rei Dai 4G4" aluminum cooling stand? It's crafted out of solid aluminum, doesn't need fans, and is very attractive. The downside is the price - the only place I've seen it for sale in the US is through Macimports.com, at MacsOnly.com, at $349. I've seen it listed on Japanese websites (it's made there), and apparently for much less.

Anyone have any experience with this, and any advice in purchasing through a seller in Japan (particularly when I don't speak, read, or understand Japanese)?

iBorg

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 09:31 AM

Hey man, I'm not sure if THIS is what you're referring to, but it kind of sounds/looks like what you're describing, except it's only $109 shipped.

I looked at this as well, and initially loved the looks, but felt it was a little too rich for my blood...but who knows, if some good words about it could convince me a little more, I'd get this awesome looking peice of art!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Burn
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 10:51 AM

You state a "giant platform"...remember I'll be using it with the 17" PowerBook, so in my case, that'd be a pro instead of a con.
Have you "witnessed" the iCurve in action?

The 17" is a beast - but structurally, the iCurve won't have a problem.

The giant platform of the Lapvantage acts like a giant shelf, no improved cooling from having it on the desk in some ways. Yes you have those nice little nubs to *improve* cooling, not the same to me though. For the money I could find/build a million and one better "shelves" for My Ti. Plus - what's with the hinge mechanism? another thing to break to me - hehe

iCurve looks like something Apple would make, beautiful thick, polished plastic. The Lapvantage looks.. cheap to me. Loving that bright white round iMac type base under my award winning engineering marvel of a computer.

Goodluck.

( Last edited by Burn; Feb 11, 2003 at 10:59 AM. )

Burn
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 11:10 AM

SuperGroove, in using an external mouse/keyboard, does the iCurve allow your TiBook to set at an angle that's easy on your eyes and it convient? Like doesn't cause neck strain or anything? And how sturdy is it (not from the TiBook sitting on it, but from it sitting on the table)?
Not SG here, but I'll chime in anyway,

I too have a Apple Pro kboard and use a Logitech Mouseman Wheel.

The iCurve sets the base of your Ti at an angle - maybe 10-15� down from horizontal. Allowing you to open your display to an angle less extreme than on the desk while raising it up to pretty much optimal operating/viewing height.

With the iCurve my Ti is in perfect alignment with my 17" ASD CRT.

It has alleviated all of the neck/shoulder strain I had (I'm 6'2" so looking down at a desk is a pain).

It has also improved my workflow since I can more efficiently use the Ti screen as a second monitor.

It is very very sturdy (a little bouncy). It will not tip over. It slides around on the desk very smoothly - that would be my only fear (but my desk is against a wall, so no biggie), if someone pushed it off the desk I would be mad (they would be dead). The bouncy part is apparent the first time you put your book on it, but you don't type on it once it's there - so it's a moot point.

Hope that helps some

And no I do not work for Griffin.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 12:27 PM

I'm going with the iCurve too....just beutifull

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 01:27 PM

Wow Burn, thanks a ton for your input...you've really given me some food for thought on it...you're very right. The iCurve *looks* much much better than the Dome and it's cheaper, my main concern is that it wouldn't suffice for the massive 17" PB, but those fears are dwindling. Thanks again man

Also, has anyone seen/tried that macimport.com Metal Stand that I posted a few posts up?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

bpsmith
Feb 11, 2003, 01:39 PM

I own both a CoolPad and an iCurve, and I have to say the iCurve is awesome. Here's a pic of it in my setup (though I now have a larger desk than that):

I'd post all of my comments here, but it would probably be easiest if you read my review (sorry for the off-site link):

http://www.macobserver.com/review/2003/01/01.1.shtml

Best regards,
Brad
( Last edited by bpsmith; Feb 11, 2003 at 01:49 PM. )
Brad Smith
[email protected]

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2003, 01:50 PM

Hey man, I'm not sure if THIS is what you're referring to, but it kind of sounds/looks like what you're describing, except it's only $109 shipped.

I looked at this as well, and initially loved the looks, but felt it was a little too rich for my blood...but who knows, if some good words about it could convince me a little more, I'd get this awesome looking peice of art!
Actually, the stand I was looking at was this one. Macimports wants $349 for it, but I remember seeing somewhere that you could order it directly from Japan for something like $200. Still expensive, but for the amount of time I spend using my Ti, it might be worth it, if it works and looks good.

So, if anyone has any experience with it, or has a link to a more direct order from Japan, please post your comments.

iBorg

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 01:56 PM

bpsmith, thanks a bunch for your post & that picture!! That gives some great visual evidence of what I was looking for. And that review was quite helpful as well!! Now if I could only see some real-world photos of the LapVantage Dome in use and compare them...
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Burn
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 05:17 PM

Great shot bpsmith

As one final shot you should peek at the hires images Griffin has on their site (if you haven't already). Beautiful.

<http://www.griffintechnology.com/dow...book_hires.jpg>

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 05:57 PM

I just received my iCurve today, in anticipation of the 17" PB on order. During the Expo, I emailed Griffin to test their iCurve with the new 17" laptops. They assured me the 17" would work fine.

I am using it with my Pismo in the meantime. The Pismo overhangs about 0.5" on either side of the iCurve arms, so the extra 2.5" total width of the 17" will be perfect. Furthermore, this Pismo with two batteries is slightly heavier than the 17" too.

The downward angle of the iCurve puts your PowerBook in a very attractive position, almost like a showcase display. Very "inviting". The 17" is going to look GORGEOUS on this.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 05:58 PM

That *IS* one amazing shot...I would be hoping (though not POSITIVE) that I'll be able to also pick up a 20" or 23" (still can't decide between the two...) along w/ my 17" PowerBook, and that combo looks AMAZING! Is that the 23" display shown there?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by LosJackal:
I just received my iCurve today, in anticipation of the 17" PB on order. During the Expo, I emailed Griffin to test their iCurve with the new 17" laptops. They assured me the 17" would work fine.

I am using it with my Pismo in the meantime. The Pismo overhangs about 0.5" on either side of the iCurve arms, so the extra 2.5" total width of the 17" will be perfect. Furthermore, this Pismo with two batteries is slightly heavier than the 17" too.

The downward angle of the iCurve puts your PowerBook in a very attractive position, almost like a showcase display. Very "inviting". The 17" is going to look GORGEOUS on this.
So aside from the fact that it's beautiful, how does it function? Does it meet your needs as far as positioning the Pismo correctly for a great viewing angle? Could it be better? Does it bring the screen close enough to you while allowing you room to use your external mouse/keyboard w/o being all cramped? And on all these showcase pics, it fails to show the iBooks/PowerBooks on the stand w/ accessories connected to it. Mine will have wires all over running out of the ports...a mouse/keyboard, scanner, printer, power supply, M-Audio Sonica, USB hub, ethernet, external display, etc. How attractive is it in real-world use w/ wires going into the notebook?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 06:06 PM

I really like the iCurve next to my 20" display. I can't wait to get home and put them on my computer desk, where I can put the TiBook on the right side. Right now putting it on the right would make it way to easy to knock it on to the floor.

TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 07:10 PM

So aside from the fact that it's beautiful, how does it function? Does it meet your needs as far as positioning the Pismo correctly for a great viewing angle? Could it be better? Does it bring the screen close enough to you while allowing you room to use your external mouse/keyboard w/o being all cramped? And on all these showcase pics, it fails to show the iBooks/PowerBooks on the stand w/ accessories connected to it. Mine will have wires all over running out of the ports...a mouse/keyboard, scanner, printer, power supply, M-Audio Sonica, USB hub, ethernet, external display, etc. How attractive is it in real-world use w/ wires going into the notebook?
The Pismo has the ports in the back of course, so I can't comment on exactly how they'll look coming out of the sides. Those wires will be coming out no matter which stand you choose. But the iCurve will indeed elevate them 6" into the air, no way around that. I'd recommend finding the best looking silver cables you can.

My screen is within arm's reach, and I have about 11" of desk space in between the iCurve and the front of my desk. If I want to free up that space temporarily for papers or whatever, I can stash the keyboard in the area under the arms of the iCurve, on top of the base.

Functionally, the screen is a couple of inches higher now than I had it on my makeshift stand (two reams of copy paper and PCMCIA cases to lift up the back edge of the computer). It's much more comfortable now. The screen is actually a tad higher than the Compaq 15" LCD I have next to it. Drat, let me steal my co-workers digital camera and take a picture...

See? Lots of space.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 07:25 PM

Thanks a lot for snapping that pic LosJackal!!

Wow, the iCurve really does look great, and the Dome looks worse and worse in comparison, and considering it will hold the 17" PB fine, and it makes a perfect match w/ Apple's Cinema Displays, I'll most likely get the iCurve

If any other users have pictures of their (or other's) iCurve's in action please post though!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

bpsmith
Feb 11, 2003, 08:06 PM

Just to note, the Griffin photo as well as mine shows the 22" Cinema Display next to the 15" PowerBook.

As for the cords coming out of the sides, that is something that I thought about when making the decision to upgrade to the 17" PowerBook (I have one on order), especially if I am going to tile it with my 20" display (also on order -- sold the 22"). With sylish cords and good organization, it won't look bad (but it may limit which side I can put the machine on). I will be sure to post pictures of my new setup when it arrives.

Best regards,
Brad
Brad Smith
[email protected]

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by bpsmith:
Just to note, the Griffin photo as well as mine shows the 22" Cinema Display next to the 15" PowerBook.

As for the cords coming out of the sides, that is something that I thought about when making the decision to upgrade to the 17" PowerBook (I have one on order), especially if I am going to tile it with my 20" display (also on order -- sold the 22"). With sylish cords and good organization, it won't look bad (but it may limit which side I can put the machine on). I will be sure to post pictures of my new setup when it arrives.

Best regards,
Brad
Sounds awesome Brad...can't wait to see pics of your new setup, and thanks for your comments!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 10:59 PM

That thing is cool and would probably let you get a little closer to the display. The only downside is it looks like in order to get closer to the display, you would have to raise it slightly higher than the ideal height for most situations.

TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2003, 12:02 AM

Yeah...plus it's over $100, and the iCurve looks better (matches the whole Apple scheme precisely) and will serve the same purpose for much less, and with such a huge purchase coming up in a few months, every penny will be needed. So I've basically caved in to the wonderful reviews of the iCurve and am pretty set on it.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 05:00 AM

Just a quick question...I have not got the measurements in front of me for the 17" Powerbook, but if the 15" lines up with the external display on the icurve, will the new 17" powerbook do the same???

Just thought the 17" would be deeper, and thereby the screen higher (the top point) when open.

??

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2003, 08:17 AM

I'm assuming it'll be pretty close...I wouldn't say that the 17" on any stand would line up 100% correct w/ an external display, but as long as it's in the ballpark, that would be all that mattered to me, because I'd only use the extra screen real estate for multiple internet windows, Word documents, etc. I'm no big Photoshop guru so that's not an issue. I'd be purchasing either the 20" or 23" display if anything, and I'd just use screen spanning during normal use for it's great conviences, and then close the lid on the PB and use the external display alone when gaming/watching a DVD.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Pauline
Feb 12, 2003, 08:56 AM

I received my iCurve on Monday and am just waiting on my connector to hook it up to my Apple display. So far, though, I've been very happy using it with my Powerbook and external mouse/keyboard.

Powerbook G4 1Ghz | 1 GB Ram | 60 GB

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2003, 09:06 AM

Wow, beautiful setup Pauline!! Nice 17" Cinema Display also! The iCurve really does look awesome in your pic.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Burn
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 10:03 AM

It's really funny how over time, I have noticed how many people that have an iCurve ALSO have a Powermate.

Cool lookin stuff for the desktop.

bpsmith
Feb 12, 2003, 02:13 PM

I actually worked the numbers on the height difference with the Cinema Displays, iCurve, and the PowerBooks. Here's what I found out:

My old Titanium PowerBook (15") viewable area lined up on top with the top of the viewable area of the 22" Cinema Display.

The picture a couple posts up shows it next to a 17" display (you should be able to get a good idea).

The difference in height between the 15" and 17" PowerBooks when open is approximately 0.7". In the case of the 20" Cinema versus the 22" Cinema, the difference between the tops of the viewable ares is approximately 1.6". Thus, the iCurve with a 17" AlBook and 22" display should put the top of the PowerBook's viewable area about 2 inches (maybe a little more, depending on the viewing angle opened to) above the top of the viewable area of the 20". I'll have to see if this is right when I get mine. :-)
Brad Smith
[email protected]

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 02:43 PM

I was just wondering really, if people need their displays to line up like that.
I had a monitor spamming thingie going on a while back. (no extra monitor now).
The displays did not line up then, and I really did not think much of it.

Anyone care to tell me that this is a big selling point of a stand?

MrK
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 04:45 PM

I have my PB on an iCurve and have used it with my PB Ti and my new PB 12". It is VERY stable. Stable enough to ward off your drunk college roomates? Possibly not. People weigh alot and can make a big mess when they are sloshed. But I have two cats, both of whom are hyperactive and who also like to fight with one another. They have jumped on the computer while it was mounted on the iCurve and knocked into it when hurtling around the room. They jumped on the Xbox hard enough to knock the controller to the floor AND disconnect it, but have NEVER done any damage to the computer/stand combo.

I strongly recommend Griffin. Their products are great and their customer support is astounding. Plus the colling is a BIG factor, especially with my HOT 12".

Finally, as far as displays lining up, it depends on how you use them. if you have Mail open on one display and Safari or Word on the other, it doesn't really matter. If you are using the two displays to split your workspace for Photoshop or Dreamweaver, a big gap can disrupt your workflow a little.

Forum Links
Forum Rules