Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Whay buy a Mac ?

Whay buy a Mac ?
malcolm347
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 06:44 PM

I am going to buy a laptop soon. And I am trying to decide whether or not to get a Mac powerbook, or some other non Mac notebook like hp. I would be using it for the basics like internet, music, movies etc. And especially gaming. I love Star Wars and im concerned because games like Empire at War(coming soon) and SWG(i dont care what u people say about it) are not written for Mac. I know there is some intel hardware(what is that?) coming for mac next year, but am i able to play pc games on a mac w/that ? Because if i am i will buy a mac.(honestly mac is like a billion times more aesthetically pleasing than any other pc or non mac laptops) I would rather buy a mac more, but if not as many SW games are written for it, i will buy a pc. But, I will wait a year for w/e that intel thing is, if it allows me to play pc games on a mac laptop. Also what advantages does mac have over pc ?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Malcolm

jam8
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 06:58 PM

Mac's have EVERY advantage over the pc, less video games. If you are going to play games more than anything else, then you'd probably be better off with a pc.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 07:09 PM

yea. there arent that many games for mac but i have a desktop for that. the high performance pcs for games only get like 45min battery so it basically turns into a mobile desktop. if you play games, just built a pc. a laptop isnt for you.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 13, 2005, 08:04 PM

Oh really?

Why not get a 17" powerbook with 128mb VRam? Max it out to 2gigs of Ram and you'll have no problems playing your Star Wars game....

I don't get some of you people. Why buy a computer for games? Get an Xbox or the PS3 when it comes out... $450.00

Then buy an iBook 14" and it will last you for more years than a PeeCee of crap with a very inferior OS.

There are "0" that's ZERO viruses written for OS X Tiger.
No Adware, Spyware, Malware, Viruses, Trojans, Worms...

You dont' buy a computer to play games and this is the problem with PeeCee users. Get away from that mentality.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 13, 2005, 08:04 PM

malcolm347  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 08:16 PM

What is that Intel hardware thing coming out for Mac computers ?

osxisfun
Aug 13, 2005, 08:20 PM

Buy a mac and a nintendo (or whatever) for games...

Drop by an apple store if possible! it will be well worth it.

good luck.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 13, 2005, 08:52 PM

Intel is a processor. It means nothing. If you want and need a computer, buy one. If you don't, and just want to play games, then get a game console.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, go in and test drive the computers. Take a free class if you aren't familiar with the interface... as it takes a bit of getting use to.

The power of UNIX boys. Get off the brainwash train of Microcrap.

PowerTower Fan
Aug 14, 2005, 01:39 AM

I agree with the posts above, get an Xbox or PS2 for gaming. If you really want to do gaming on a computer though, get a PC desktop instead. I'm really not sure why you'd want a laptop in the first place for gaming considering you could either build or buy a screaming fast PC desktop for a lot less than any laptop, Mac or PC, plus have more upgradeability for the future.

Mactel laptops are long way off so I don't know why you'd base buying decision now on it if thats your critical factor. PC games would still have to be rewritten for the Mac so its still not like you could buy a PC version of Star Wars and be able to run it under OS X.

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2005, 08:37 AM

I agree, you want games, get a game console (X-BOX, etc). Macs have come a long way with the games in recent years, although I still believe video games are better on a console. Use the Mac for your computing needs.

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 12:31 PM

AHAHAHAH AHHAH HAHAH!!! Don't ask stupid questions like that. A PC isn't an option.

osxisfun
Aug 14, 2005, 12:56 PM

very productive jacob. not.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 01:06 PM

I think the chorus of "get a console" misses the nuances of PC gaming. There is something to be said for PC gaming. Take Counterstrike, for example. This game is several years old, and yet there's still no equal in console multiplayer experience--nor, sadly, does it run on Mac. Or Civ 3. Yes, Mac had Civ 3 Vanilla, but Conquests, the ultimate and best version of the game, is PC only. Consoles can't touch the experience of either of these games.

I used to be a gamer. The two titles above are my favorites. I miss CS. I play Civ 3C on my dilapidated laptop from work (no functional battery). I switched to Mac to do video DVD's of my kids and have never looked back.

There are games for Mac. If you can afford the rather pricey powerbook described by budster above, then I think there's plenty of entertainment available for you.

If, though, you are committed to being a "gamer" and must try out and play the latest games, then PC's are your best bet. And not laptops, either.

osxisfun
Aug 14, 2005, 01:38 PM

wow. think about next year when he will have the choice to buy an intel mac that he can dual boot into windows to play games.

increase that market share. go apple. go apple. it's your birthday. it's your birthday...

havocidal
Aug 14, 2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Oh really?

Why not get a 17" powerbook with 128mb VRam? Max it out to 2gigs of Ram and you'll have no problems playing your Star Wars game....

I don't get some of you people. Why buy a computer for games? Get an Xbox or the PS3 when it comes out... $450.00

Then buy an iBook 14" and it will last you for more years than a PeeCee of crap with a very inferior OS.

There are "0" that's ZERO viruses written for OS X Tiger.
No Adware, Spyware, Malware, Viruses, Trojans, Worms...

You dont' buy a computer to play games and this is the problem with PeeCee users. Get away from that mentality.

there ARE viruses and spyware tt affect macs...

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 06:05 PM

Built-in spellcheck.

ncsurfer
Aug 14, 2005, 07:33 PM

I bought a mac just because I like the how everything works and there are little to no problems. Also OSX is so much more advanced than Win XP. I have never regreted my choice for a second and will never not own a Mac. If you want a computer that you will love to use.....get a Mac.
15" 1.5Ghz Aluminum Powerbook
30gb iPod Photo

malcolm347  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2005, 09:56 PM

When are those mactel laptops coming out (exactly) ?

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 08:05 AM

no one knows could be a year or 2 away.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 15, 2005, 08:37 AM

Zero viruses on Tiger. ZERO.

---

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2005, 01:19 PM

What Budster said.

The best part to me is no Windows. OS X is an easy-to-use, but powerful, and stable OS. The interface makes more sense than Windows once you get used to it, and you'll find you spend a fraction of the time maintaining/cleaning/reinstalling/debugging your OS. Hardware-wise, there's not any real advantages to Apple laptops right now, except for the elegance of the enclosure. The Powerbook keyboards are fantastic, and the aluminum is really a thing of beauty compared to some thick plastic Dell slab.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 15, 2005, 01:26 PM

For OS X up to Tiger there have been I think 30 total viruses.... someone verify that.

If you are worried, then buy a lottery ticket, stand outside in the rain with the hopes of being struck by lightning, and attempt to swim across the atlantic... because your chances of succeeding at all of those things are greater than you finding a Mac OS X virus.

On the other hand, I dare anyone to plug a Windows Machine into a broadband modem with no firewall or antivirus running next to an equally equiped Mac... let's see what happens after some browsing and downloading...

What you get with Windows that you don't with a Mac.

- Adware, Spyware, Malware
- Viruses, Trojans, Worms
- Junk Files galore, all you can ever want...
- Inefficient use of your hard drive which will have to be defragged by YOU constantly
- Don't forget the Registry that will be packed with useless boot lagging garbage in 3 months time
- Did I miss anything? Oh, the Blue Screen of Death just when you were about to save that critical document you've spent 2 hours working on.
- Try and configure your network and wireless under 30 minutes.
- Do you like activation? Well, don't forget to activate windows because you only have 30 days and if you have to reinstall Windows? Guess what? You can't, you have to call Microsoft and wait on hold for an hour...
- Critical Updates? Do you like downloading them? Great, becuase they have tons for you.
- How about unatractive icons and file structurs? Loads and Loads of them
- Inferior bug written 3rd part applications?
- .doc proprietary document format? (I prefer PDF)

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2005, 01:52 PM

I say get a mac laptop if you need the portability, then build a cheap $500-600 gaming rig just for games.

Some games, like half-life 2 and doom3 are MEANT to be played on a PC. They just aren't any fun on a console. And when you're in the game, you don't notice the operating system it's running on so that doesn't exactly matter.

...But for everything else you do on a computer, Macs are just better.

Don't buy a PC laptop trying to kill 2 birds with one stone -- you'll regret it.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2005, 02:09 PM

I am not aware of ANY confirmed viruses that run on os x. One can propagate some files that are inert on the mac but will be a virus on a PC.

OS9 and earlier versions of the mac os had some viruses, most that could be easily tamed.

One potential negative of going intel would be the ease of generating viruses -- hackers familiar with the hardware to write windows viruses will have a step ahead when trying to 'switch'.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2005, 03:12 PM

Before plunking down the cash, first check out what software you'll be using (besides the games). There are some applications that do not run on the mac, such as autocad. If your a big autocad user then the decesion is easier. Most programs on the PC have an equivalent on the Mac.

All things being equal, and once you've determined that tha mac can run all of the apps you need, you want to see how your user experience is. Again, the PC has tons of issues with viruses, adware, spyware. MS continually patches its OS and IE. With the Mac, the design of the OS is superior, better security and no virsues, adware/spyware.

If you just want to work on your computer and not worry about all that other crap, then the Mac is it.

Finally you need to way all of that against your desire to play games and I'm not belitteling that, its your money and you've said its important, so you need to weigh the pros and cons and right now the PC has more games but I think the other advantages of the Mac outweigh the number of games available for the PC but that's me and I really don't play games.

Mike
P.S. Even on a PC laptop, game performance will suffer, unless you throw down some serious dough for one of those laptops for game playing, such as the stuff from Alienware.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2005, 10:41 PM

I love puppies!
( Last edited by Steve; Aug 16, 2005 at 02:32 PM. )

budster101
Baninated
Aug 15, 2005, 10:54 PM

I'm glad you love puppies!
( Last edited by Steve; Aug 16, 2005 at 02:33 PM. )

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2005, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm347
I am going to buy a laptop soon. And I am trying to decide whether or not to get a Mac powerbook, or some other non Mac notebook like hp. I would be using it for the basics like internet, music, movies etc. And especially gaming. I love Star Wars and im concerned because games like Empire at War(coming soon) and SWG(i dont care what u people say about it) are not written for Mac. I know there is some intel hardware(what is that?) coming for mac next year, but am i able to play pc games on a mac w/that ? Because if i am i will buy a mac.(honestly mac is like a billion times more aesthetically pleasing than any other pc or non mac laptops) I would rather buy a mac more, but if not as many SW games are written for it, i will buy a pc. But, I will wait a year for w/e that intel thing is, if it allows me to play pc games on a mac laptop. Also what advantages does mac have over pc ?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Malcolm
Sounds like you've already made your decision. Both are pretty much equal at internet, music and movies. IMHO browsing on a PC is a better experience than the Mac side.

You want the games, get a PC notebook. Just make sure you have the antivirus and spyware programs installed and you won't have any problems.
MBP 1.83

Admiral Ahkbar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by havocidal
there ARE viruses and spyware tt affect macs...
Myself and the rest of the mac community using OSX await your publishing of further information to back up this claim.

Malcom347 but a mac, you wont regret it. Use this http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ for help.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2005, 12:41 AM

Some have speculated that the advent of MacIntels will cause some game developers to stop developing games for mac OSX, on the assumption that a MacIntel can also run Windows. Dunno if that might affect your decision.

lurkerdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 01:53 AM

Sounds like you know what games you want to play. Are games the #1 factor for you? These stupid "go buy a console" comments notwithstanding, your choice is pretty simple -- see if your favorite games are out on the Mac. If not, buy a PC laptop.

If your games are on the Mac, then check out the system requirements, because there is a big performance gap between desktop G5s and powerbook/ibook G4s. If the performance seems kinda low, then go for the PC laptop.

If your games are PC-only, you could wait for the Intel Macs, but you are gambling that Windows will run on Macs. This is a pretty safe gamble, IMO, but no one knows (a) exactly when the Mac/Intel laptops will appear, (b) exactly when a version of Windows with the appropriate Mac drivers will appear, (c) and how good that hardware support will be. Your wait may be longer than you think. The emulation/VM route will probably also be there via VMWare, Wine, VirtualPC, but I don't really consider those a great option for gaming.

As for the other Mac vs. PC stuff:

* The Mac feels better than the PC (that's subjective, but you're on a Mac forum after all).

* If you are interested in development, scripting, etc., you get a lot of stuff on the Mac, out of the box. I wouldn't say the tools are better than what's available on the Windows platform, but they are good, and they are free.

* iTunes for the Mac is better than anything on Windows, and that includes iTunes for Windows.

* Quicktime is more up-to-date on the Mac than on Windows. Windows Media Player is crap on the Mac. Real is annoying on any platform.

* Web browsing is basically the same -- Internet Explorer is terrible on both platforms, Firefox is great on both platforms. Safari is better than Firefox in some areas, worse in others, but either one is good.

* Mail on the Mac and Outlook Express on Windows are... eh.

* You are far more vulnerable to viruses, spyware, etc. on Windows, if you don't know what you are doing. If you do know what you are doing, you probably won't have to worry about it no matter what you use. I've been using both Mac and Windows for years, and the last time I had any trouble was a virus infection 15 years ago -- on a Mac. Incidentally, that virus was nVIR, which has no effect on Mac OS X.

* Both platfoms have a steady stream of rather large updates that you will have to deal with. The updates on Windows seem to come more often, are more annoying, and seem to be mostly security hole patches, but the Mac seems to be slowly catching up in this area.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Malcolm

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 07:29 AM

i am working with two laptops, a windows one at work and an ibook at home. if i had any say in my laptop for work, it would be from apple. macos x is way better than winxp on a laptop, i just love the "instant on" whenever i open the laptop. plus all the other good stuff that has been mentioned. all i can say is that the ibook is my first mac and i know that i'll never go back to windows. not even for games.....
( Last edited by sgb; Aug 16, 2005 at 08:08 AM. )
iMac G5 (iSight), 20", 2.1 GHz / 1,5GB RAM / 250GB
12'' G4 ibook 1.2 GHz / 1.25 GB / 30 GB
40GB 4G ipod & 1GB ipod shuffle

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2005, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jam8
Mac's have EVERY advantage over the pc, less video games. If you are going to play games more than anything else, then you'd probably be better off with a pc.

If you can afford it get a mac laptop and a PC gaming rig (and it doesn't have to be a 3 grand system to play SWG). The Falcon NW Talon is a nice system. A bit pricey, but they have incredible support...no outsourcing. All tech is handled in the company.

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2005, 08:21 AM

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Malcolm
Dell has an nVidia 6800-equipped laptop (the Dell 9300, IIRC) for under $2000 that will be faster than just about any other laptop (sans the 6800-Ultra equipped laptops) - that's one choice, if you really want top-notch graphics, top-notch speed, and the best of everything except battery life (it isn't 45-minutes bad, but it won't be the typical Centrino's 3 to 4 hours, either.) A 6800-Ultra equipped laptop, like their XPS2 lineup, would be quite a bit more money for not that much more speed.

I feel I've got a good compromise - mine's a Centrino 1.4 with Radeon Mobility 9600 graphics. It's fast enough for a quick, low-detail Doom 3 game, and easily fast enough for most other games too. $999 at Office Depot a year ago, with 15.4" widescreen, DVD/CDRW, 512MB, 802.11b (I upgraded to 802.11g), and 40g hdd.
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

Maclectic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by tracemhunter
yea. there arent that many games for mac but i have a desktop for that. the high performance pcs for games only get like 45min battery so it basically turns into a mobile desktop. if you play games, just built a pc. a laptop isnt for you.
Although I'd like to agree about the 45 min battery life statement for PC Laptops, it just isn't true.

Apple is great at many things, but in keeping up with the PC features and performance curve they have a spotty record.

PC Laptops, even the high performance ones (if Pentium 4 can be called that), have comparable battery life to Powerbooks (maybe not iBooks), since PC companies put bigger or more efficient batteries in their laptops. This is mostly because Apple cheaps out on some components and PC laptop sellers can take advantage of economies of scale for vanilla parts.

When comparing Powerbook G4s to the latest and greatest Pentium M (or Centrino) laptops, the PC laptop is the clear battery life winner. Some high performance Centrino laptops get 3-5 hours of battery life. I would be shocked if my G4 1.5 Ghz Powerbook got more than 2.5 hours.

In my opinion the superiority of the Pentium M (and its large supply) is one of the reasons Apple is switching to Intel. While IBM has kept up with performance competition for the most part, they have lagged in power consumption efficiency. Whereas Freescale (aka Motorola chips) have some nice power consumption characteristics, but lag far behind in performance.

Just some thoughts.

- Maclectic

budster101
Baninated
Aug 16, 2005, 12:09 PM

The PC doesn't last longer on battery because of the battery. It's the chipset and power consumption.
Soon the Mac will have the chipset and the Superior OS in one.

I'd rather have my 17" Powerbook with 2.5 - 3 hours of battery life, than anything with Windblows on it...

OtisWild
Aug 16, 2005, 12:15 PM

Mac portable graphics cards are actually pretty decent, considering the battery life and weight you get with them. The OS is clearly far superior to any other in its class in terms of usability, cleanliness and security. The price differential is not nearly as great as before, and regarding iBooks they're a better value than PCs in their equipment range.

However, Macs have fewer games, and game performance is quite low on Apple's priority list. Macs typically get the top-selling and/or top-rated PC games between 6-12 months after PCs, so by the time a PC game like SimCity 4 Deluxe costs $25 on a PC, you're still paying $50 for the Mac version. Most if not all Star Wars games are available for Mac, but you get no discounts for already owning the PC version.

I'd say if these are your criteria: lightweight, battery life, security, gaming, design, price/performance, 3D graphics performance, in roughly that order, go with the Mac.

Also, presumably the shift to intel will improve matters somewhat, iff they use decent 3D chipsets and not the standard intel junk. However, that's at least a year off, and I doubt going to intel will make developing games any more or less easy than they are now unless Apple releases a DirectX API for OS X that game developers can merely recompile to.

EddieRebel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by lurkerdude
* iTunes for the Mac is better than anything on Windows, and that includes iTunes for Windows.
Can someone explain this to me? I have been considering making the switch to a mini or even an iMac for a while now, but I have not heard about how iTunes is better on a Mac. Thanks!

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 17, 2005, 12:05 AM

1 reason to get a mac.... THERE FREE OF ALL THE ANNOYANCES OF A WINDOWS PC. If your not a gamer I suggest the mac platform. But Ive got a feeling once they switch to intel chips gaming on the mac is gonna be comparable if not better.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

madmanXwater
Aug 17, 2005, 12:10 AM

I've heard this comparison before, between iTunes on the Mac and the PC. I don't get it myself, I use both versions and don't see any difference at all. Sounds emotional more than factual to me.

Mike

budster101
Baninated
Aug 17, 2005, 12:50 AM

What is different? Most windows users don't have a clue. That is the only difference. idiots, 90 percent of them.

madmanXwater
Aug 17, 2005, 01:16 AM

What is different? Most windows users don't have a clue. That is the only difference. idiots, 90 percent of them.
Please tell me you're joking. Just in case you're not, please don't represent the Mac community with such comments.

Mike

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 01:25 AM

i was once an windows idiot. i just built a pc a month and a half ago for gaming and for some reaosn i dont play as much any more, if at all. i got so hyped up in building the damn thing that i forgot what i was building it for. i bought a powerbook the friday before last and have only logged on to my pc to fix my ftp and web server. i cannot believe how easy osx is to use and why i was talking **** about it for so long. everything is so simple on it. the fact that it is unix based also is a plus in my book. you can get comparable apps on osx as well (neooffice, cs2, studiomx). dont look any further. i have even talked my parents into getting an ibook that way we can use isight when i go off to college next year in new york (hopefully). best $2700 i ever spent. i dont care what anybody else says.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 17, 2005, 01:32 AM

Uhm.... 90 percentile. 10 percent still are ok. Did you think I was lumping you idiots in with the windows idiots? Sorry to see that....

Yes, most Windows users are IDIOTS. Don't have a clue. Morons. They can use the word processor, and barely get by with using iTunes.

I was a windows user for a decade. Met many of the end users as I used to install networks. Morons.

OtisWild
Aug 17, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by EddieRebel
Can someone explain this to me? I have been considering making the switch to a mini or even an iMac for a while now, but I have not heard about how iTunes is better on a Mac. Thanks!
The 2 big wins are:
* integration with the iLife suite, so when making a DVD you can use your audio tracks as soundtracks automagically.
* running OS X instead of Windows.

I recently migrated my iTunes repository (with music store and audible permissions) from my old Powerbook to a new handbuild PC, and in day-to-day operations of a normal music listener, there is no difference except that ripping discs is a LOT faster. The fonts are even the same.

BTW, the migration, while technical, was pretty straightforward and complete. I lost no tracks, metainfo (like album covers), playlists, etc. Thank you XML!

aashish13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 12:36 PM

I'm also thinking about getting a pb (17 inch), but I heard the rumors and will wait until next month. I have some questions though.

1). I have never bought a laptop before (Mac or PC). What accessories should I buy with it?
2). Any software I should think about including in the package?
3). Should I get the lowest ram available and buy new ram from newegg and update myself (I think its the same as a pc desktop right?)

Thanks for any comments on this. If you want to add anything, please do. I should find it very insightful

osxisfun
Aug 17, 2005, 12:39 PM

1) sleeve, radtech screen protector (sfbags.com for a great sleeve)
2) sidetrack is one to look at , it lets you do more with your trackpad
3) yes. i bought and use kingston 1.5 gig total

OtisWild
Aug 17, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by aashish13
I'm also thinking about getting a pb (17 inch), but I heard the rumors and will wait until next month. I have some questions though.

1). I have never bought a laptop before (Mac or PC). What accessories should I buy with it?
Sleeve/carry case, extra batter(y|ies), screen protector (that rests between the screen and kybd when closed). I'd also go for a bluetooth kybd/mouse if you plan to use this as a home desktop as well.

2). Any software I should think about including in the package?
Mac laptops come pretty decently furnished with software last time I checked, maybe MS Office if you are going to do wordprocessing/spreadsheeting.. The iLife suite handles most of the stuff you'd care about doing at home, and the system comes with browser, chat, email, etc. built in.
Maybe the new Print Shop if you're going to do signs, invitations, menus, etc.

I'd say try out the included software and see if it does what you need. There's alternate packages that are more powerful than iLife for particular tasks (toast/jam for dvd/vcd/audiocd burning, * studio express/pro for video editing and dvd mastering, audion for ripping tapes and LPs, photoshop elements for photo retouching, etc.) but iLife does a good job of covering the, say, 80% of user needs.

3). Should I get the lowest ram available and buy new ram from newegg and update myself (I think its the same as a pc desktop right?)
No doubt. Apple RAM is a rip. Get the lowest BTO spec RAM you can and add later. I recommend Crucial, their prices are as good or better than Newegg and their system selector is comprehensive for Apple.

Good luck!

osxisfun
Aug 17, 2005, 12:54 PM

yes. buy an xtra battery if you have the budget. i have a brand new one and only get two hours but that's because i have not really did all the energy settings.

i figure i just pop in my second battery and that gives me 4 hours.

aashish13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the insight guys. I'm gonna look into all these. Though now I have a question about which is the best ram to get for a mac? You guys have said two, Crucial and Kingston? Anyone else care to add to this?

The only ppl I know right now with macs, are those that theme .....I appreciate the input

Forum Links
Forum Rules