Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > OFF: Steve Jobs in NeXT :)

OFF: Steve Jobs in NeXT :)
mhasman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 04:41 PM

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 04:57 PM

Okkkk... what is the point, or was this just a waste of my time?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 05:04 PM

Hey, I didn't know NeXTSTEP had a French localization.

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 10:37 PM

call me lame, but that's really awesome. that would've been cool to have an email like that when starting mail.app for the first time.

also, i still think the NeXT interface looks awesome. it would've been cool if they kept that window manager around in os x for the sake of posterity and to show everyone how NeXT evolved into what we see today.
F = ma

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 01:16 AM

He has really aged in 15 years.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 01:31 AM

Come to think of it yah that's a pretty big aging in 15 years. Actually I seem to remember him having more hair even just a few years ago. I'm kinda surprised someone as vain as Stevey didn't get rogain.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 08:16 AM

Nice plug for your new blog...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by milhous
also, i still think the NeXT interface looks awesome. it would've been cool if they kept that window manager around in os x for the sake of posterity and to show everyone how NeXT evolved into what we see today.
Actually, they did have it at one point, way back in the early developer previews. They also had Platinum-like and Windows-esque interface styles. These only worked for Cocoa apps (Carbon always used Aqua), but choosing between them was just a matter of a quick Terminal hack.

Unfortunately, they took this out for the Public Beta, and it was never seen again. About the closest thing you can do now is install Linux and GNUstep, which has stuck to the old NeXT interface even as their OPENSTEP implementation is starting to take on bits and pieces of the new Cocoa APIs.

Actually, to clarify: the four themes I mentioned were only present in OSX Developer Preview 3, as was the Terminal hack to use them. The Windows and NeXT appearances were removed in DP4, as was the Terminal hack, but you could still get the Platinum-like appearance (though it had been altered) by deleting certain files. As of the Public Beta, however, all of the alternate appearances are gone.
( Last edited by Millennium; Jul 7, 2005 at 08:58 PM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
He has really aged in 15 years.
cancer does that to you. it will take Steve several years to recover physically from that trauma.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
cancer does that to you. it will take Steve several years to recover physically from that trauma.

cheers

W-Y
Ya but the cancer was recent, steve really looked the same 3 years ago.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 05:20 PM

what was also neat was that you had all your common applications in the dock on the right-hand side and when you executed one of these dock apps, the app icon would diagonally move to another dock on the bottom left-hand side which indicated that the app was running and active. this of course has all been consolidated in the os x dock.
F = ma

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Ya but the cancer was recent, steve really looked the same 3 years ago.
He has aged very much since he took over Apple again - and not surprisingly, I might say. I can't even begin to imagine the kind of pressure he is enduring.

Steve 1 (warning: huge photo)

Steve 2

And the cancer took a big toll .

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2005, 11:11 PM

Some things just do that to you. It's a known effect of extreme stress -both physical and mental- and although there are things more stressful than cancer, there aren't very many.

Would you believe that both Clinton and Bush had black hair when they first took office?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2005, 03:55 AM

Man, you didn't lie. That was the biggest photo of steve I've ever seen. Now I just need to find a printer in town to get one wall sized.

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Some things just do that to you. It's a known effect of extreme stress -both physical and mental- and although there are things more stressful than cancer, there aren't very many.

Would you believe that both Clinton and Bush had black hair when they first took office?
quite right about the presidents. yeah they probably get their 8-9 hours of sleep everynight, but especially having so many things to juggle, think, and worry about could really take its toll. waking up every morning with a full agenda of things to do, people to meet, papers to sign, things to ponder, etc. talk about a multi-tasking, multi-faceted, time-constrained environment!

then of course there's winston churchill who preferred sleeping by day and working by night!
F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules