Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > any of you seeing separation b/t top case and bottom case?

any of you seeing separation b/t top case and bottom case?
vexingv
Dec 16, 2004, 09:25 PM

i noticed some separation in the top case (palm rest/trackpad) and the bottom case near the latch. its very small ~ 1mm or so and runs along the length of the front side but is more pronounced in the middle, but i can actually press down definitely see it. i was looking at the pbfixit guides and it looks like the top case is one whole piece that screws in.

anyone else see this problem? can it grow into something else much worse?

i've just been so disappointed in the last couple of months in the workmanship (or lack there of) of my rarely used, nonmobile (always used at home), 7 month old 12" PB revC (sticky hinges, plastic bezel cracks due to the tight hinges, some warping).

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 10:22 PM

Yes, the gap's present in my Rev B 12" as well. My Rev A actually had a better fit and finish than this one.

If you remove the battery, the gap should go away. For some reason, the battery pushes up against the top case and causes it to bulge upwards a tad.

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2004, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by vexingv:
i've just been so disappointed in the last couple of months in the workmanship (or lack there of) of my rarely used, nonmobile (always used at home), 7 month old 12" PB revC (sticky hinges, plastic bezel cracks due to the tight hinges, some warping).
Wait until you use a Titanium...overactive fans, creaky case, cracking case, chipping/peeling paint, tight hinges, screenmarks b/c of keyboard contact, bad airport reception, poppy keyboard, falling feet, falling/eroding clamshell rubber on bottom case...welcome to my love-hate relationship with my PowerBook, a machine used mostly on a desk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules