Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where did the useful discussion go?

Where did the useful discussion go?
Spirit_VW
Senior User
Mar 26, 2001, 12:16 AM

Prepare for one hell of a rant...

Geez, I'm gone for a couple of days enjoying using OS X final, come back here to engage in some useful discussion with all the other folks I've gotten to know lately, but...

...where'd they go? Could somebody point me to the MacNN forum hosting the constructive discussion? Because all the populated threads I see here are childish, ridiculous things like "Kill OS X NOW!" and the like. I was hoping to see stuff more along the lines of cool hacks or tricks, or how to get the most out of the system, or, well, ANYTHING! Instead there are maybe one or two remotely useful threads amongst dozens of "Bring back the Launcher!" and "OS X burned down my house and killed my family!" Could somebody please tell me how long it's going to be before these people get on with their lives and those of us here for different reasons can engage in constructive discussion and even constructive criticism ("I think having ability Y would really improve this function" is constructive criticism. "This is a sh!tty OS thanks to that one friggen button, I'm gonna kill everybody at Apple" is NOT)? I might as well be at those fairly useless MacAddict OS X forums right now! (Don't get me wrong, BTW, I LOVE MacAddict, but their OS X forums have been kinda lame for a while)

BTW, OS X runs great on both my G4 533 and my iBook SE 366, and each only has 128 MB of RAM

------------------
Kevin Buchanan
The Spirit of Volkswagen
The Retro New Beetle Headquarters
Webmaster, Fort Worth VolksFolks Club
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

applenut1
Senior User
Mar 26, 2001, 12:43 AM

"running great" is relative. It has been shown that those who are too caught up in apple to see reality have gotten amazing performance while those who are thinking straight have said that it is usable but needs improvement.

It definitely is better than Public beta but IMO it still has a long ways to go before it can be a suitable replacement for OS 9.

I have no problem with that. I will have a problem though if Apple doesn't consistently provide updates. And I mean consistently. I would like to see something every week or 2. There is a ton of stuff missing and a ton of stuff that is buggy.

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2001, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Spirit_VW:
useful discussion with all the other folks I've gotten to know lately, but...

...where'd they go?
MacAddict (they're getting good again) and/or MacFixit forums. Couldn't take the ranters and the constant downtime anymore.

[This message has been edited by dogzilla (edited 03-25-2001).]

urp
Mar 26, 2001, 12:50 AM

It has been shown that those who are too caught up in apple to see reality have gotten amazing performance while those who are thinking straight have said that it is usable but needs improvement.
Well that wasn't exactly objective now was it. How about some people find the performance good for their needs and others think that performance is not good enough for their needs. Because someone likes their experiences on OSX1.0 doesn't make them an Apple apologist, anymore than calling someone who has complaints a troll. The signal-to-noise here blows right now. How about some reasonable discussion?

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2001, 02:12 AM

they went with the hornilla of the disc
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2001, 02:14 AM

they went with the hornilla of the disc
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Kestral
Senior User
Mar 26, 2001, 04:58 AM

Useful discussion is for useful OSes. So if you want to see some, go to the OS 9 forums.

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2001, 05:20 AM

I was kinda lost with the Unix stuff until I found a good documentation link - hope this helps others:

ftp://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/mac_os/Mac_OS_X_Intro_for_Support.pdf

Mr H

Spirit_VW  (op)
Senior User
Mar 26, 2001, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by applenut1:
"running great" is relative. It has been shown that those who are too caught up in apple to see reality have gotten amazing performance while those who are thinking straight have said that it is usable but needs improvement.
Okay, thanks for confirming that most of the people left here are rude little pissants like yourself.

Can you get your head around the fact that some of us really, honestly like OS X?

You and your ilk are ruining the MacNN OS X General forum. I've been here long enough to know that this used to be a great place for constructive discussion (ie, I've been here a lot longer than you and the other chair moisteners). Hopefully what others have said is true, and all the people who used to make this a great forum are still around at MacAddict and MacFixit.

BTW, when I say "runs great," I MEAN "RUNS GREAT." On the G4 it's virtually OS9-quality. On the iBook it ain't that far off. You have no friggen right to tell me how it runs on my own damn system.

------------------
Kevin Buchanan
The Spirit of Volkswagen
The Retro New Beetle Headquarters
Webmaster, Fort Worth VolksFolks Club
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2001, 10:55 AM

I agree that constructive talk is important and it would be great if these forums could turn into constructive talk instead of overly extreme editorals.

I admit that I can't even come in here and listen to people ranting on and on about this or that over and over again.

I would be very interested in seeing what problems people have had for if they have found any ways around them. These general statements not backed by fact and general opinion pieces have run their course.

I don't mind if people have something bad to say or if they don't like something, but being negative is a different story.

Dan

Joey
Mar 26, 2001, 10:57 AM

Whew!

I've spent the last two days playing with OS X, but haven't checked into these forums. It's really quite amazing just how different the attitude of thisplace is from my experience. Sort of put things into perspective for me when I realized that I disagree with the tone and many of the "topics" going around here. I'm enjoying the OS too much to get bogged down in these forums. Real party pooper, this place is.

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2001, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by DannyVTim:
I would be very interested in seeing what problems people have had for if they have found any ways around them.
May I suggest you try the Usage and Support forum? From it's description:

OS X - Usage & Support
Discussion of usage, hacks, bugs, and everything else hands-on.

This is the General Discussion forum, with the description:

"For discussion of experiences, thoughts, gripes, observations, etc."

If people have bad experiences and want to gripe about it, this is the place. On the other hand, this particular thread has nothing to do with OS X. It's just complaining about the people in this forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules