Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > going to Canada. tips on voice/data plan?

going to Canada. tips on voice/data plan?
kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 12:11 PM

We're going to Canada for three days before an AK cruise. I called ATT and the prices for voice data seem like extortion (0.79/min voice and $24.95 for 20Mb of data). I use my phone all the time when I travel to find directions, restaurants, etc. Is there any cheaper way to do this? Can I unlock my phone and get a pre-paid SIM from Canada's carrier or something? Or do I just have to pony up for the three days?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 03:03 PM

You're gonna have to use Rogers or Fido (Same company) if you want to use your GSM iPhone.

The data plans up here are generally not cheap especially for short term contracts. I don't even think I have seen a pre-paid with data before.

I'd try to get something cheap with your AT&T and use Wifi and skype as much as you can. It's not as bad as you think if you are within any normal population.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 03:16 PM

Well, I'll be in vancouver. Do the starbucks in Canada all have wifi and do att customers get free connections as we do in the states?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Well, I'll be in vancouver. Do the starbucks in Canada all have wifi and do att customers get free connections as we do in the states?
If you're in the city you can walk 50 feet in any direction to find an open wifi spot on purpose or by accident.

Get the skype $2.95 month unlimited US/CAnada calling and you should be good.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 05:59 PM

just be sure to put it into airplane mode, or you'll find yourself with a huge data bill.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2010, 06:30 PM

At least on my Canadian Fido iPhone, you can selectively block international data roaming, and "international" includes just crossing the Canada/US border.

That way you keep voice without inadvertently getting data. This can also be a useful thing in border cities, where the phone sometimes switches back and forth between a Canadian carrier and a US carrier.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 07:15 PM

and incoming and outgoing phone calls will cost you $1.29/minute

better if you use skype to check your ATT voice mail and respond to calls thru skype

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
and incoming and outgoing phone calls will cost you $1.29/minute

better if you use skype to check your ATT voice mail and respond to calls thru skype
Not really, at least on our plans. International data roaming is insanely expensive, so it's actually cheaper to use international voice roaming, esp. if you have an inclusive long distance plan.

However, it's still expensive, so you'd have to screen the calls.

So, I guess it depends on your data rates and usage patterns. I've read Skype's usage varies depending upon available bandwidth, but is about 0.3-1 MB per minute. Let's for the moment just assume it's 0.5 MB per minute. I believe my carrier charges $5 per MB for data roaming. That ends up being $2.50 per minute, which is even more than voice roaming. You can get packages to reduce the rate for data roaming to $1 per MB, but that requires paying an additional monthly up front fee.

What's it cost on AT&T, when data roaming in Canada?

Forum Links
Forum Rules